Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent, daverj

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE

Post by joem » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:07 pm

I'm pretty sure it's based on a Raspberry Pi Compute module, though which version I'm not certain. I'm basing this assumption on what I can see on the back of the module from the Schneidersladen page: https://www.schneidersladen.de/en/eroge ... cture.html
It might not be a RPi compute module under that fan and heatsink, but it sure looks like it is.

Edit to add: Come to think of it, it takes sync in, and as far as I know there's no way to sync RPi's video. So maybe it's not an RPi after all?

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:01 pm

I don’t know the answer to any of the technical questions, but can tell you that, using any and all of the included shaders in any combination, you aren’t going to see dropped frames or slowdowns.
There are definitely shaders out there that won’t run on Structure, or would run poorly.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:26 am

RenderDender wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:21 am
Hi,
I've got kind of a technical question. What kind of hardware is STRUCTURE based on? Does it have a dedicated GPU or is it software rendering? I bet it's the latter. Are there any kind of benchmarks? All the demos look cool, but the most heavy scenes I've seen are like a torus defined implicitly or a Laplacian filter which both need really low computational powers. Could somebody maybe show me like the most complex borderline use case/scene where the fps starts to drop significantly to the point of making the module unusable? Just so that I could imagine what it's capable of.
I am a cg programmer myself and I'd really like to get the module, but I've got some doubts about the performance of the module. Nevertheless it's the coolest thing I've seen in a while and maybe I'll get one anyway.

There's quite a few shaders that will run slowly on it. In one of the video demos I made of some of the shaders I "converted" to the Structure format you can clearly see it lagging due to performance drop (a couple in the first video below are noticably chopping/lagging).

Hmm, it actually seems like that post has gone AWOL, so let's see if I can re-post it.

Custom shaders for Structure:

Download the shaders:
http://www.marsmelons.com/download/3561/
http://www.marsmelons.com/download/3564/
http://www.marsmelons.com/download/3567/

anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:13 am

RenderDender wrote:
Hi,
I've got kind of a technical question. What kind of hardware is STRUCTURE based on? Does it have a dedicated GPU or is it software rendering? I bet it's the latter.
. hi, I'm James (half of ErogenousTones ) and work on Structure. it's runing on a RasPi compute 3 module, all graphics are done on the integrated GPU.
RenderDender wrote:
Are there any kind of benchmarks? All the demos look cool, but the most heavy scenes I've seen are like a torus defined implicitly or a Laplacian filter which both need really low computational powers. Could somebody maybe show me like the most complex borderline use case/scene where the fps starts to drop significantly to the point of making the module unusable? Just so that I could imagine what it's capable of.
. FPS is sort of a moving target on a deterministic system (basically runs things as fast as possible and the internal order/pipeline is somewhat obfuscated by Broadcom) . some shaders that "run" at 10fps are quite fluid, depends on the application.

. at the core, it's OpenGLES v2.0 - so all inherent limitations of that apply, as well as sharing the 1GB w/other processes, video clips, etc. it's pretty easy to drag the system to a halt using shaders that do ray-tracing or iterate a large number of times.
RenderDender wrote:

I am a cg programmer myself and I'd really like to get the module, but I've got some doubts about the performance of the module. Nevertheless it's the coolest thing I've seen in a while and maybe I'll get one anyway.

. i think it performs great for what it does, but i am biased (since I make them)!! :D

. all in all, it depends what type of visuals you want to achieve. here's the youtube playlist of demos and updates we've released for it, which i think covers its capabilities pretty well -

. and i'd be happy to answer any questions as well

-james

anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:14 am

joem wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:07 pm
I'm pretty sure it's based on a Raspberry Pi Compute module, though which version I'm not certain. I'm basing this assumption on what I can see on the back of the module from the Schneidersladen page: https://www.schneidersladen.de/en/eroge ... cture.html
It might not be a RPi compute module under that fan and heatsink, but it sure looks like it is.

Edit to add: Come to think of it, it takes sync in, and as far as I know there's no way to sync RPi's video. So maybe it's not an RPi after all?
. it is a Pi3 compute module. we added sync for the input, and run via the normal CVBS out

-james

Return to “Video Synthesis”