Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe., daverj

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:03 pm

Here's a capture I made with a cheapo composite to USB cable. Do not adjust your set, there's no sound.

https://vimeo.com/user3271454/review/35 ... 6e6d0a8d3c

note!
Common Wiggler

Post by note! » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:55 pm

A little ditty I pulled together in my first real day with Structure. SO FUN.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0m1ABHBow3 ... 97vpnxcwek

[video][/video]

note!
Common Wiggler

Post by note! » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:43 am

Anybody try the new firmware yet (the one that adds clips node)? Curious how the settings work - are they in menu, in code, how are the CV inputs assigned?

Also - is there an easy way to assign CV inputs to Node parameters in-module and not through editing the code on a computer? I feel like I've RTFM a few times over and, maybe I'm just really dense, but don't seem to get it.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:07 pm

I've messed with clips a bit. The only voltage controllable parameter is speed. There are also settings for different types of playback.

For all nodes in general, whatever parameters are controllable are specified in the shader- you can't edit that on the module. If you look at the code, you'll see float f0 and up to float f4. These are defining up to 5 controllable parameters. James made a series of videos about shader editing, I think they are pretty easy to follow even for people with no coding experience.

PS- the new firmware is packed with goodness, you should install it ASAP. I suggested the queuing function and Rick added it almost immediately!

anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:12 pm

note! wrote: Also - is there an easy way to assign CV inputs to Node parameters in-module and not through editing the code on a computer? I feel like I've RTFM a few times over and, maybe I'm just really dense, but don't seem to get it.
. you can change which CV (1-5) is assigned to a parameter by selecting the node and going to the 'PARAMETERS' menu. GEN nodes generally have 3 inputs, FX and MIX can have from 0 to 3.

. if you check out the shader code, look for f0, f1, and f2 - those are the values being sent to the shader - so you can see what's being changed and add more instances of the variable to see what you else you can change. you can save your work from the website (there's a button so 'save as .glsl' ) then copy those files on to your front SD card in the 'glsl/gen' direcory and see how they work in various node sets.

-james

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:11 pm

Also, don't forget the different views when you click DISPLAY- you can get an overview of the CV assignments of all the nodes at once and see what the inputs are doing in real-time.

johnwynberg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnwynberg » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:50 pm

I just installed the new firmware and made a clip, but I can't figure out where it needs to go, for it to appear in the list of clips.

Where are you saving your clips?

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:13 pm

Make a folder named "clips" , top level of the front SD card, and put it there.
If you did that and it's not loading, it's probably not in the correct format.

note!
Common Wiggler

Post by note! » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Thank you all!

johnwynberg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnwynberg » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:09 am

Zymos wrote:Make a folder named "clips" , top level of the front SD card, and put it there.
If you did that and it's not loading, it's probably not in the correct format.
Yes, that was it. It works now. Thanks!

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:54 am

They just released a couple of bug fix updates...

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:00 am

by all that is unholy...
:hail:
i JUST stumbled across this visual noiz weapon...ABSOLUTELY fracken amazing.

ordered one right away!
:twisted:
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:44 am

all the information right here
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

samn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by samn » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:34 pm

I haven't seen if this is covered somewhere but can you animate the OBJ beyond rotating or "exploding" as it seems from the demos. Is there keyframe data?

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:01 am

visual noiz weapon arrived today...

see more here: late night noiz for late night fiends
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

D_Robot
Common Wiggler

Post by D_Robot » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:38 pm

Firstly just wanted to say what an amazing module Structure is. I've been dabbling with Video synth using Max for a while now but it is so much better interfacing directly in the modular.

However, one issue is that the front SD card is corrupted. I have no access to OSX so wondering if anyone has any idea how to format the card via Windows to work with Structure?

johnwynberg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnwynberg » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:34 pm

D_Robot wrote:the front SD card is corrupted. I have no access to OSX so wondering if anyone has any idea how to format the card via Windows to work with Structure?
It seems the front SD card with which Structure comes gets corrupted very easily. It happened to me as well, but I’m on Mac, so I can’t tell you how to format it on Windows.

Have you tried to contact them? When I had the problem with my card, they got back to me very quickly.

D_Robot
Common Wiggler

Post by D_Robot » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:14 pm

johnwynberg wrote:
D_Robot wrote:the front SD card is corrupted. I have no access to OSX so wondering if anyone has any idea how to format the card via Windows to work with Structure?
It seems the front SD card with which Structure comes gets corrupted very easily. It happened to me as well, but I’m on Mac, so I can’t tell you how to format it on Windows.

Have you tried to contact them? When I had the problem with my card, they got back to me very quickly.
Yeah, thought I'd post here as well, though, just in case someone else had the same issue and had a solution. At least I was able to update the firmware before it happened.

Worst case I'll just have to wander the streets until I find a Mac user, there's bound to be one somewhere :help:

D_Robot
Common Wiggler

Post by D_Robot » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:02 pm

Thanks to Erogenous Tones for pointing me in the right direction. I managed to format an SD card using Ubuntu and thought I'd post for those of you who may come across this issue and like me are OSXless:

1) Create an Ubuntu boot USB and boot into Ubuntu from your pc.

2) Insert your SD card/reader and use the Disk utility to delete all partitions on the SD card.

3) Using Terminal Type sudo su [Enter]

4) Type fdisk -l [Enter] and note the SD card disk name such as /dev/sdg

5) Type fdisk /dev/xxx (where xxx is the disk name) [Enter]

6) Type mkfs -t vfat -F 32 /dev/xxx1 [Enter]

This will create a single Fat32 partition on your SD card, which will work in Structure.

Cobramatic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cobramatic » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:38 am

I've been working towards my goal of being able to do a credible supporting video live - simultaneously with the audio patch I'm performing. Mainly for gig's but also to create interesting video's for my tracks.

I've experimented with LZX which is amazing, but my LZX system is as big as my audio system and found that it is better with full time attention on the controls and I cant easily do both audio and video at once!

Then comes along 'Structure' and I think I've finally got it covered - small enough to sit inside my main gig case (a folding 12U 104hp) but insanely powerful with lots of cv control. So I grabbed Structure and have been trying it out.

This weekend was the first time I started to get on top of the cv and gates in. In the following test performance (which I tried to optimise for video manipulation in a fairly simple way) I'm using the audio from the patch into CV1 then other cv's generated within the patch mult'ed to cv 2, 3 and 5. I've also got 3 gates from Metron changing 3 pre-prepared Presets backwards and forwards. This is a great feature because you can time a change to a preset, or even do it manually with a button press to coincide with shifts in the music, which I do to a certain extent in this patch.

I've found some cv's and even gate-in registration is a little hit and miss at the moment - that is probably more to do with me than Structure itself. Also it can get a bit uncontrollable on some patches where the screen will go dark, or minimal, because a cv effects something in the patch I didn't quite expect - not a big deal really and you can see that happen in this video too.

I reckon it takes a little patience to set up your cv and gate assignments and ranges to the nodes and presets but WOW, when you do the results are really excellent.

I'm honestly just scratching the surface here at the moment - nothing really too clever. Check the last 30 seconds of the video for the bit I like best!

I'm Looking forward to getting in deeper now that my 'proof of concept' does work. Huge Thanks to Erogenous Tones for coming up with this extremely versatile module! :sb:

[video][/video]

Eurorack performance with live Audio and simultaneous Video by Erogenous Tones 'Structure' modulated by direct control voltages, gates and audio from the audio patch.
Other Modules include: WMD Metron, Fracture, Chimera & Crucible, ER-301, Intellijel Shapeshifter, 1010 Bitbox, Mutable uBraids

johnwynberg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnwynberg » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:26 pm

There is a new firmware, v1.8!

I wish they could let us know, through an announcement email, every time they release a new firmware. I joined their mailing list, but I don't get any emails. Anyway, they're coming with so much stuff...

New features:
* VXY NODE added, vector based XY (XY node plots points)
* IMG2 NODE added, allows 2 images to be used together
* handful of SHADERS and NODESETS added for VXY
* New seeding system for random
* NODESET Added: VID+FBK->EFX into MIX added
* NODESET Added: IMG1+IMG2 into MIX1->EFX
* Added card format to system menu (for cards that are not correct)
* New MIX shaders; glitch, glitchScanX, glitchScanY

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:10 pm

There's an active community for Structure users on fb--and they usually announce developments there first. Rick and James are running full tilt on continued development and support for the module, so you might want to check the firmware page every so often if you're not on fb.

anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:27 pm

samn
-
samn wrote:I haven't seen if this is covered somewhere but can you animate the OBJ beyond rotating or "exploding" as it seems from the demos. Is there keyframe data?
. we don't have animation yet, but we're looking in to that for future release. an overhaul of 3D control is planned, but we kinda got distracted w/FBK, VXY, and CLIP nodes ! :)

johnwynberg wrote:

. we've added a new function in the System Menu that allows you to format and setup a blank SD card in the front slot in the v1.8 firmware. d/l it @ http://erogenous-tones.com/structure-firmware/

Rick Burnett
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rick Burnett » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:44 pm

Rick here (James is anomad above) we try to get over here to read but honestly have been so busy coding, we forget to come check!

The reason I've not sent out emails is I was afraid to be spamming people with every update I do (because I code a lot and add features often). But, maybe I should just use that list so those not on FB 24/7 can know when I make an update!

As James said, there is no keyframe mechanism yet, that's on the future features list. It's a complex add as anyone who has worked with keyframes knows. The current idea is to utilize blender for animation and then bake that into a file. How that works, not sure yet. It might be sub-object based and not vertex based. There are performance considerations here that I need to worry about. But stay tuned.

There are 4 or 5 other things that need to be done first, starting with the NODE SET button which starts immediately as I want those changes myself!
Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE Available Now!

johnwynberg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnwynberg » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:31 am

Rick Burnett wrote:maybe I should just use that list so those not on FB 24/7 can know when I make an update!
Yes, that would be nice.

I understand some people might have joined the mail list for other of your products, but they might also want to get a Structure, after seeing all the stuff that gets added to it. :lol:

Alternatively, anyone here could let us know when a new firmware gets released. Had it not been for @Note! And @Zymos above, who knows how long it would had taken me to find out about those two new releases.

I rather you spend your time coding for Structure than writing announcements. :hihi:

Return to “Video Synthesis”