Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe., daverj

thebrotherspus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thebrotherspus » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:09 pm

Thanks!! :goo:

D_Robot
Common Wiggler

Post by D_Robot » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:05 pm

Thanks Daisuk :tu:

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:28 pm

FRACKEN AWESOME!!!!
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:57 pm

. Daisuk - very nice work! thanks for posting

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:49 pm

Very tasty! :tu:
https://vimeo.com/user2264453
CANNOT DIY. WILL NOT DIY. DO NOT WANT.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:34 am

Ooooh, didn't know there were that many Structure users in here, awesome. Glad you like them! 8-)

Electronicvibes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Electronicvibes » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:45 pm

thank you Daisuk :yay:

vasculator
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vasculator » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:03 pm

had a lot of fun w/ some of these today, Daisuk. thanks!
SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

akavalve
Common Wiggler

Post by akavalve » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:52 pm

Daisuk wrote:I've converted a bunch of shaders from GLSLSandbox.com to the Structure format, ...
Awesome! Thank you!

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:04 pm

i think I'll finally have a chance to play with these today! thank you so much
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:29 pm

Glad you enjoy them! I'll probably convert some more when I have time, and I'll share them in here. :)

matheuwatson
Common Wiggler

Post by matheuwatson » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:51 am

great stuff here, I am actually selling my Erogenous Tones Structure due to downsizing case anyone is interested along with a Tektronix 608 and a whole heap of LZX, cheers M

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Erogenous Tones - STRUCTURE

Post by Daisuk » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:34 am

Recorded a few interations of an audio visual patch with Structure the other day. This thing is so deep. :eek:

mildheadwound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mildheadwound » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:04 pm

Here's a nasty vid i whipped up, using mostly still, freebie stock images and pilfered clips.
I have tons more, but just edited this together quickly, in the last few days.
Still the biggest challenge seems to be recording out and rezzing up,
but also, what's up with vimeo these days? It's a mess!

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:36 pm

updated Structure to 2.1 last night!

EDIT: updated to 2.2 for a bug fix!

FRACKEN AMAZING!!!!
:twisted:
even MORE powerful and it adds text manipulation!

https://erogenous-tones.com/structure-firmware/

New v2.1 Features:
* New Node: TXT (+ NODESETS that use them!)
* New FBK shaders; hueDrift, jitter, jitterFold, logCircle, moveHue, overayHue, overlayLum, overlaySat, randDirFold, tube, tubeWrap
* New EFX shaders; SlitScanA + others
* New GEN shaders
* Added EFX clear back action
* New NODESETS; VID->FBK1-EFX1->EFX2, IMG->FBK1->EFX1->EFX2, CLIP->FBK1->EFX1->EFX2, GEN->EFX->MIX, VID->IMG->3D, CLIP->IMG->MIX->EFX, FBK1->EFX->FBK2 (+ TXT specific sets)
* Ability to delete presets (using NODESET button) from PRESETS page
* CV control of the macro settings BETA

and an bit of use FYI from Rick at Erogenous Tones:

So the new node TXT is now active! Tomorrow I will be getting a page up on the website to talk about it some more, but a quick rundown is there are 3 sets of files used with it. Programs, Text and Fonts. If you have nothing on the SDCARD it will use default internal files. Once you place files in 'text' or 'font' then you will get those instead of what is inside.
The max number of TrueType fonts it will load is 25, because it cache's all these. So make sure you have that number or less or it will stop loading when it hits the limit.
Text needs to be ASCII text files. It will not load files with special characters and such.
In the PARAMETERS you can set to look at characters, words, lines or sections. Programs with 'sec' at the front work with sections, which will get explained more tomorrow.
The Programs used ARE NOT shaders. They are actual dynamically linked programs, so these you cannot write. (We are trying to figure out a way to allow people, but the toolchain required is not simple. Might require a QEMU setup to do this).
All this code is very new and VERY complex, so if you see ANY issues, let us know. We have some changes coming in a v2.2 to enhance the robustness of TXT, but we wanted to get it out ASAP to get people to start using it.
Also note, using fonts with symbols and such is a blast which is why we included them!!! This REALLY opens up some creative ideas.

A whole bunch of new feedback shaders were added. Things like moveHue as AMAZING. When FB is all the way up, it will do crazy things. overlays are like filters and do VERY neat overlay mechanisms as well. All of them are interesting to play with in different ways, DEFINITELY tune them, it makes a difference.
Also added, requested by Nichole Pichon was FBK2 which I then renamed FBK to FBK1. There are a few NODESETS with these. They can take a bit to tune, but are VERY interesting to see how they behave together!

We added a few new EFX and GEN shaders as well. We are working on a way to announce what is new in each release on these but haven't got that done yet. You'll see a shader with AKR_ which is from Roland Lioni! We hope to get artist info on the site as well, his shader, rol_etra is fantastic!

I added an EFX Clear Back action for any EFX shaders that have buffers in them, so you can clear them out if you want at times.

LOTS of new NODESETS were added (as listed on the FIRMWARE page) that were requested by users. Thanks Morten Grøtflæsk, Mark O'Cummings, Paul Copeland, Ben Bartand Nichole Pichon for the suggestions! And of course the TXT NODESETS that were added.

I also added the requested feature to be able to DEL a preset from the PRESETS grid. You'll see over on the left side a DEL by the NODESET button. One you have a PRESET selected (which happens when you select them to load, you'll see yellow around them), press that button for a dialog box confirming delete.

Last new feature, but not least, BETA of CV on the MACRO knobs! Go to the Macro page and the interface has changed a little bit. Right now, they are only additive and you cannot see the added amount, but when you assign a CV to a MACRO, that CV will be added to the MACRO knob position. (clamps at 0.0 and 1.0 values).
So if you want to CV brightness for the full range, pull the MACRO all the way down and then use the CV!
NOTE YOU CANNOT save these yet. They will be saving as part of the PERFORMANCE. SAVE feature is coming. But something to get started with!
Last edited by SPIKE the Percussionist on Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

DOGGEBI
morgue city
Unified Space

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:01 am

You should grab 2.2, quick bug fix.

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:45 pm

Zymos wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:01 am
You should grab 2.2, quick bug fix.
oh yeah!
i did.

happened to see that when i went back to the site for instructions on how to use TXT files.
:P

i'll update the previous post.
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

DOGGEBI
morgue city
Unified Space

D_Robot
Common Wiggler

Post by D_Robot » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:56 pm

CV over saturation...it's the little things that sometimes make all the difference...

The support and continuing development of this module is really appreciated. :tu:

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:51 am

some font manipulation after creating a font from sigils...

++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

DOGGEBI
morgue city
Unified Space

anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 pm

SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:51 am
some font manipulation after creating a font from sigils...

. looking good! glad you're enjoying the TXT module :guinness:

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:32 pm

structure v2.3

New v2.3 Features (Fixed bug in v2.2):
* New 8 EFX & 10 GEN shaders
* Added 7 FB shader version with no image wrap
* Added visual indicator to macro page to show CV values applied to current macro setting
* VID->TXT->MIX1 added
* Added letters to preset page for CLIP, IMG, TXT
* Selectable AND/OR from SYSTEM menu for NODESET filtering
* Joystick slew and scaling added to SYSTEM menu
* TXT programs added; rndGrid, wordSearch, bwTypeCursCV
* Fixed speed direction of most TXT programs
* Fixed divide-by-zero in TXT program (rgbGraffiti)
* Fixed TXT node bugs, made system more robust
* Fixed audio codec to be more robust
* Override settings fix for recall
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

DOGGEBI
morgue city
Unified Space

Electronicvibes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Electronicvibes » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:12 am

amazing work from Erogenous Tones team :tu:

anomad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anomad » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:42 am

. Erogenous Tones Structure firmware v2.4 notes:

Three new nodes have been released for Structure firmware v2.4: DLY, WIPE, and RAST
- DLY node has 20 frames of memory. 2 of the controls select which of those frames you want to mix back in. The shaders apply different blends with those frames to truly give you some neat results over time!

- WIPE node allows you to select between 2 incoming sources by a third source. The WIPE source, depending on the mode, takes whatever that input data is on a scale of 0->1 to fade between for each pixel. There are comparator based shaders as well so you can get that hard keying between.

- RAST node draws lines in 3D space, like Rutt-Etra-esque. There are tons of controls for adjusting line thickness, spacing, number of points down the line, rotation, scale , position. prerot z is the ability to move the z position before rotation so if you want to change how the rotate is applied. Needless to say, I've spent a lot of time having fun with this! The range parameter allows you to select the Z range of the movement of the line points.
Note, in the 3D node, you could do something similar already if you selected the 64x64 test plane, removed auto-rotate, then set to line mode. But I thought moving this to a RAST shader with more features made more sense!

New node sets:
GEN1->DLY1, GEN1->DLY1->EFX1, GEN1->FBK1->DLY1, VID->DLY1, VID->DLY1->EFX1
GEN1->GEN2->IMG1->WIPE, GEN1->GEN2->GEN3->WIPE, GEN1->GEN2->VID->WIPE, GEN1->GEN2->CLIP->WIPE, GEN1->FBK1->GEN2->WIPE
GEN1->RAST, GEN1->RAST->FBK1, GEN1->EFX1->RAST, AUD->RAST, FREQ->RAST, VID->RAST, VID->RAST->EFX1, VID->EFX1->RAST, GEN1->GEN2->RAST->WIPE

Miscellaneous updates :
- IMG node now supports up to 1024x768 now, because it now support shaders. Some of these shaders are like the ken burns effect (kb and kbrot) and all kinds of keying modes and such. (Note you can use smaller sizes now as well for images but they will all be scaled to the screen)

- The USER button now brings up an overlay of CPU and CV values so you can view anywhere. If you don't want either one of these, you can remove from the SYSTEM menu. This was a user request!

- GPU bug addressed with the render pipeline of the GPU. Joystick recording fixed when slew activated.

- TXT and IMG nodes now have SETTINGS that allow you to control which files will be randomized with the random button, or, next/prev (walking). OVERRIDE fixed for settings. and finally 2 new gen shaders added!

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:35 pm

went crazy with RAST nodes in last night's Late Night Noiz For Late Night Fiends:
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

DOGGEBI
morgue city
Unified Space

RenderDender
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RenderDender » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:21 am

Hi,
I've got kind of a technical question. What kind of hardware is STRUCTURE based on? Does it have a dedicated GPU or is it software rendering? I bet it's the latter. Are there any kind of benchmarks? All the demos look cool, but the most heavy scenes I've seen are like a torus defined implicitly or a Laplacian filter which both need really low computational powers. Could somebody maybe show me like the most complex borderline use case/scene where the fps starts to drop significantly to the point of making the module unusable? Just so that I could imagine what it's capable of.
I am a cg programmer myself and I'd really like to get the module, but I've got some doubts about the performance of the module. Nevertheless it's the coolest thing I've seen in a while and maybe I'll get one anyway.

Return to “Video Synthesis”