RADIATOR live performance laser synth now on Kickstarter

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe., daverj

patmcm
Learning to Wiggle

RADIATOR live performance laser synth now on Kickstarter

Post by patmcm » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:42 pm

As part of the synth / live visual community in Montreal I got to see an earlier version of this in action and it was absolutely jaw-dropping, it feels like a game-changer for reactive visuals.

[edit:] Here's the link to the campaign and here are some pictures Andrew sent out.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:44 am

I'm guessing this is probably much cheaper than building a Eurorack that does the same thing, heh. How much do small portable laser projectors go for these days? The Laser Cube is $500 or so, no?

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:30 am

versipellis wrote:I'm guessing this is probably much cheaper than building a Eurorack that does the same thing, heh. How much do small portable laser projectors go for these days? The Laser Cube is $500 or so, no?
Here is your answer. https://x-laser.com/products

I like the way Andrew Kilpatrick is always exploring new ideas.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:10 am

Backed! Been flirting with the idea of getting into video synthesis for a while, but something about this really got my attention. Cause lasers!
Also just seems really capable and I like that it is self contained.

If it gets funded, guess my next step is shopping for a $500ish laser....

Slabwax
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Slabwax » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:22 pm

This is a bone head laser question. Will the basic $500 laser from X-Laser do much with the Radiator? It looks like the Radiator would be a fantastic new money pit but will all I get from X-Laser white series be green basic 70's Floyd effects? Thanks

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:03 pm

Looks like that one only has DMX input, so Radiator couldn't control it.

m0n0mania
Common Wiggler

Post by m0n0mania » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:36 am

Cheaper lasers usually means slower galvos and poor colour mixing.
If anyone's considering getting into this, there's a software laser synth you can try called Maxwell for $30.
https://bluefang.itch.io/maxwell

x-laser
1-Post Wiggler

Post by x-laser » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:34 am

Hey there folks, Adam at X-Laser here. I knew it was going to be a fun day when I started seeing people coming to x-laser.com from here in my weekly analytics check!

If you want a low cost laser projector to work well with the Radiator and you're in the US, your best bet is to get the bundles they have. We're building these projectors custom for the Radiator bundles and they'll be completely US legal, built and serviced here and carry a full 1 year warranty. The pricing with the bundles is pretty good and we handle all the US legal compliance side of things for you.

If you're outside of the US, the radiator will work well with any laser compatible with the ILDA standard that can do 30K scanning. Generally speaking for just quality and longevity, you're best sticking with projectors at or above $700US.

Slabwax wrote:This is a bone head laser question. Will the basic $500 laser from X-Laser do much with the Radiator? It looks like the Radiator would be a fantastic new money pit but will all I get from X-Laser white series be green basic 70's Floyd effects? Thanks
Not a bone head question at all. The $500 system is not compatible with Radiator, it's a "flash and trash" laser built for nightclub ceilings and DJs that want the look of laser, safely, without spending time on programming. The entry level system for this would be the Mobile Beat Mirage, but you'll get a better price buying the bundle through the Kickstarter.

I hope this helps! Thanks folks

Afturmath
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Afturmath » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:44 am

I've been following this project since Chris Short teased some of the prototype photos, and I can't wait to try it out at SELEM! I've been on the fence about upgrading my old Sapphire RGB to a Mobile Beat Mirage or Skywriter HPX 2W, and I think this was the final push I needed.
Soundcloud || Current Eurorack
Support synths: Voyager XL, Subsequent 37 CV "Moogfest Edition", Novation Circuit Mono Station, Modal Craft Synth 2.0

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: RADIATOR live performance laser synth now on Kickstarter

Post by nangu » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:14 pm

One day left for the 15% off pre-order:

https://www.neoncaptain.com/store.html

It looks like actually using a laser with Radiator is completely optional at this point. The stretch goal for getting ‘Laser Visualizer’ direct video out was achieved, plus it seems like the ILDA output could just be run straight into Chromagnon..
The Laser Visualizer, to be integrated in the radiator, will provide live, real-time laser visualizations on a computer monitor, TV, or video projector. It is notoriously difficult to make good video of laser projections, but our team member Christopher has developed professional techniques for recording his laser performances, and we aim to emulate the organic look and feel of his technique.

The Laser Visualizer update will allow anyone to preview the output from their radiator to a video monitor. This can be used for practicing your performances without a projector, or for recording or streaming a performance online. Additionally, it can be used for making beams with a video projector which allows for safe audience scanning effects, or as a unique video source for VJ performances.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:07 am

I was wondering what format would be used for video out- says HDMI at the top edge of the panel in this video:

There’s more Radiator stuff on this YouTube channel:

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:37 am

nangu wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:14 pm
it seems like the ILDA output could just be run straight into Chromagnon.
but in that case it seems like idla input to chromagnon means idla output only from chromagnon - Lars has stated this on the lzx facebook
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:58 am

Yeah, I just saw that. Apparently I’m not the only one who assumed that the ‘vector render’ thing that’s in the LZX pipeline had somehow gotten rolled into Chromagnon just because Chromag has ILDA input and lots of outputs.

HDMI output from Radiator is fine for now- I’m trying to delay buying a laser until galvos (or whatever replaces them) are fast enough to do real vector rescanning. Yes, I like to dream big.. :lol:

Return to “Video Synthesis”