Current and Soon-To-Be No-Longer-Available Video Hardware

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent, daverj

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Current and Soon-To-Be No-Longer-Available Video Hardware

Post by nerdware » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:34 pm

I hope everyone here using LZX modules is getting the LZX newsletter and the news of modules being End Of Life'd. I'll give a list here in case anyone missed the announcements so far.

Color Chords
Prismatic Ray
Marble Index
War of the Ants

Nevermind the entire Visionary series, of course. That was EOL'd years ago. The only Visionary module I missed out on was the Triple Keyer/Fader, but I found I could live without it. (Someone else just beat me to the last one at Analog Haven! We both ordered it the same weekend, but my order was after theirs. The AH store didn't reflect the true stock situation, making this possible. I got the true situation when Sean emailed me on the following Monday. I switched my order to the Sequencer/Quantizer and was still happy.)

Listing all video hardware that is no longer available would be impractical, but I think it's at least worth mention a few things, particular when so many of us here are using and recommending them. So I'll suggest a few general video devices here. Perhaps you can suggest additions? What would you miss if you didn't already have it?

Roland/Edirol V4 mixer
Roland/Edirol V8 mixer
Roland/Edirol P10 sampler
Korg Entrancer KPE-1

You may still find them on ebay, of course.
Last edited by nerdware on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://vimeo.com/user2264453
CANNOT DIY. WILL NOT DIY. DO NOT WANT.

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:07 pm

I'm not so sure I'd call them all no-longer-available, considering the fact that all 4 of those LZX modules you listed show up as In Stock on the LZX website. Yes, they're not going to make more, but the ones that have been made haven't sold out yet, so they're just as available now as they were before the announcement was made.

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:26 pm

Mere pedantry. :lol: I agree, I'm just looking ahead there. My first reaction to the announcements was, "Oh, shit. Should I buy another $MODULE?" Fortunately, my second thought was, "No need, I have an elegant sufficiency." Nevermind that I currently have no rack space for more modules. I've reached my modular/video endgame for now. Instead, I'm considering selling some gear. Maybe even a few non-video modules.

However, anyone just getting into modular video today should consider purchasing some of these modules soon, before they disappear. Same for anyone thinking of adding another Prismatic Ray or Color Chords someday. Not many people are selling their video modules, so this could well be your last chance to buy these modules.

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:33 pm

I've amended the topic to reflect the Soon-To-Be status of certain modules. Thanks for the pedantry, its appreciated. :tu:

johnwynberg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnwynberg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:12 am

From that latest announcement, what truly surprised me is the Prismatic Ray, especially when they say there are no planned replacements. So there would be no more video oscillators available in the future? :despair:

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:41 am

Yeah, that really shocked me, but I can't argue with pausing production for a while. That makes a lot of sense while the Orion series is still being released. Sure, you can do a lot with the new modules, so few us will need as many video rate oscillators for things like pattern generation. If the modules yet to be EOL'd include Navigator and Shapechanger, I may need to consider buying a second pair now, so I'll have the option to choose later. That'll really hurt.

OTOH, I'm currently Endgamed here. I'd need to rearrange my studio to create space for another case/cabinet for more modules. It's easier for me to just accept that this decision is being made for me by economic factors beyond my control. (Ha! Just add it to the list.) Endgame. No Vessels. No Orion modules. No. More. Hardware.

So - looking on the positive side - maybe I have no skin in this EOL game. :mrgreen:
Last edited by nerdware on Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:41 am

Surely not!

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:19 am

Shirley Knot!

joem
Ultra Wiggler

Post by joem » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:06 pm

johnwynberg wrote:From that latest announcement, what truly surprised me is the Prismatic Ray, especially when they say there are no planned replacements. So there would be no more video oscillators available in the future? :despair:
They said direct module replacements aren't planned, which I took to mean no PR v2, but it leaves plenty of room for different oscillators. Oscillators are so useful and important, I can't imagine LZX (with their incredibly well thought out designs) would somehow neglect to have an oscillator. I'm quite excited to see what'll come next! Just think about the differences between Visionary series and Expedition series....

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:47 am

We already have several new oscillators in the Orion series, but I'd love to see one like the Dave Jones oscillator. I'm still impressed by the demo where he tuned an unsynched oscillator to an odd frequency and got rock steady diagonal stripes. Alas, you can't buy one - yet - but maybe a future Orion module could do something similar? Perhaps even an LZX module that already exists? I have no idea.

So I personally have very few regrets about missing out on old modules. However, its not unusual to see video wigglers recommend old gear, long after it became hard to buy second hand and impossible to buy new. Hence this thread.

337is
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 337is » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:29 pm

johnwynberg wrote:From that latest announcement, what truly surprised me is the Prismatic Ray, especially when they say there are no planned replacements. So there would be no more video oscillators available in the future? :despair:
These concept modules were shared by Lars deep in a thread on the FB page. Note the dual oscillator:

SCloud
Vimeo
YTube
MGrid

I've had great B/S/T transactions with: ryandfl, Soy Sos, metaBit, haven, swordsect, goiks, FSK1138, numan7, dubno, VanEck, rico loverde, C14ru5, spunkytoofers, paults, vonbonenstein, soundwave106, d.thomas, dropmotif, Cadence, & TheNavigator

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:07 am

:mygod:

Thanks.

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:00 am

I think the main use for MI is take some pressure off VC for compositing. You can get a similar effect to MI by chaining 2 VC modules, but that's a lot more expensive. OTOH, it gives a lot of other features, too, like a second pair of input decoder and output encoder, ramps etc and sync options. E.g. for when you have a second cabinet and no easy way to share sync signals. For me, another justification for a second VC applies: my first VC was an early one with a few issues. If I'd known the MI and Vessel were going to be available, I might've waited. OTOH, maybe not. Without a second cabinet, I couldn't expand any more. :hmm: So who knows?

Anyway, I have no regrets about that. I just wish I'd bought a Vessel or two when they were available in the UK. Only one shop here has ever sold them and they didn't restock them after the last production run of Vessels. Also, it's way too soon for me to buy a Vessel now. I need to make the space for it. That's probably not going to happen this year.

So I have no regrets about the MI being discontinued. I understand why this is happening, and I really can't imagine needing a second MI. If you don't already have one and expect to need it in the future, buy it now! Worst case, you find you don't need it as much as you expected, and you have the option of selling it to someone who will appreciate it. That's how I felt when I sold my VWGs and VBM. I got several years of good use from them, but I don't miss them, and I know they have a good home. That's all that matters, really. I could probably sell all my Visionary series modules someday and say the same about them, but that day isn't close.

hdd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hdd » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:42 am

you can add Shapechanger and Navigator

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:23 am

Are you sure of that? I can't find an announcement for Shapechanger and Navigator being discontinued. What's your source? I'm not doubting you - I just want to be sure.

Thanks.

337is
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 337is » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:45 am

From the most recent LZX email newsletter:

"To make way for new products, LZX will cease production for certain modules. There will be no further production of Shapechanger and Navigator. Once current stock sells out, these modules will no longer be available and direct module replacements are not planned. Support for all legacy modules will continue."

The LZX email newsletter can be signed up for at the bottom of this page:

https://lzxindustries.net/pages/contact-us
SCloud
Vimeo
YTube
MGrid

I've had great B/S/T transactions with: ryandfl, Soy Sos, metaBit, haven, swordsect, goiks, FSK1138, numan7, dubno, VanEck, rico loverde, C14ru5, spunkytoofers, paults, vonbonenstein, soundwave106, d.thomas, dropmotif, Cadence, & TheNavigator

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Ahh, I must been so excited by the TBC2 news that I missed that bit, "buried" at the end. Thanks!

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:57 am

and now visual cortex, vidiot and liquid tv are also discontinued

337is
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 337is » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:06 am

Link to full details and most recent announcements:

http://mailchi.mp/8cebbc193b20/happy-ha ... chromagnon
SCloud
Vimeo
YTube
MGrid

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:23 am

Two Liquid TV modules might be nice, but I think I can manage with only one. I use the main output for the few times when I need another monitor. :doh:

Thanks.

Fabong
Common Wiggler

Post by Fabong » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:10 pm

The replacement of Visual Cortex represents a big shift in LZX history imo
Avant Garde a clue

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:55 pm

Maybe, maybe not. For anyone starting a videosynth now, it just means they start somewhere different. It's still a start, but those of us with a VC or Marble Index can do compositing before the final output. Someone starting a year from now won't have that option. They'll have other modules, like Memory Palace and Chromagnon instead. Some may be able to buy a VC 2nd hand, if they're lucky.

I can see the sense in discontinuing some modules, even the VC. The market for these modules may be saturated by now, so sales will be slow but production runs will cost the same. That's harsh for a small company like LZX. It's a big investment with very slow return. Perhaps there'll be new production runs for the discontined modules at some point, when demand is high enough to ensure fast enough sales.

We've seen this happen with other companies and products, like Encore and the U.E.G. So I'm not suprised that we're seeing it now with video modules. LZX may at some point need to keep releasing new kinds of modules to keep the sales going. Remember, these are mostly the big, complex, expensive modules, not the smaller, simpler and cheaper video modules. Few companies can keep a range this large in production indefinitely. Even Doepfer have discontinued modules, like their vocoder set.

So I see no reason to worry. This is just normal modular business. In fact, it's just normal business.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:59 am

I wonder if a super-fancy Orion series mixer/compositor/colorizer/fx module will replace Marble Index eventually. Seems like those kinds of functions could greatly benefit from some digital magic..

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:33 am

Hints at future Orion modules suggest this series may also include mixers, samplers etc. While some people have modded mixers to give them CV inputs, MP etc are so much better at modular integration. I think they may save space, too. :mrgreen:

hdd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hdd » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:34 am

sketches [/img]from fb it's more in the automata series, and won't be there before summer 2020.

Return to “Video Synthesis”