LZX TBC2 & VGA Scart Expander

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe., daverj

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

LZX TBC2 & VGA Scart Expander

Post by monads » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:45 pm

Since they don't have their own dedicated thread yet...

ImageImage

-Dual channel frame synchronization with genlock, time base correction.
-HD downscaling and format conversion.
-Still image/loop playback and color decoding.
-Composite, S-Video, Component YPbPr and Component RGB inputs.
-Still image playback and adjustable frame delay per input channel.
-Access to color correction and scaling/cropping parameters via the RGB OLED menu.
-Master sync generator for your entire LZX system or Memory Palace.
-Front and rear sync input and sync output available.
-Front SD card mount for still image loading.
-MIDI input and thru for switching and mixing functions.
-HD analog input up to 1080i.
-VESA/VGA input up to 1024x768 with optional 10HP VGA+SCART expander.

Looks really awesome!!! One thing I couldn't tell is if it's compatible with Ming Mecca and it's 240p CVBS output? If not then another device will still be needed to bridge these systems if you have both!

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Re: LZX TBC2 & VGA Scart Expander

Post by spacenoodle » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:56 am

monads wrote:Since they don't have their own dedicated thread yet...

ImageImage

-Dual channel frame synchronization with genlock, time base correction.
-HD downscaling and format conversion.
-Still image/loop playback and color decoding.
-Composite, S-Video, Component YPbPr and Component RGB inputs.
-Still image playback and adjustable frame delay per input channel.
-Access to color correction and scaling/cropping parameters via the RGB OLED menu.
-Master sync generator for your entire LZX system or Memory Palace.
-Front and rear sync input and sync output available.
-Front SD card mount for still image loading.
-MIDI input and thru for switching and mixing functions.
-HD analog input up to 1080i.
-VESA/VGA input up to 1024x768 with optional 10HP VGA+SCART expander.

Looks really awesome!!! One thing I couldn't tell is if it's compatible with Ming Mecca and it's 240p CVBS output? If not then another device will still be needed to bridge these systems if you have both!
I asked about it on the forum after the latest announcement and the answer was "We haven’t tested 240p yet, but support is likely". Also, Erogenous is currently working on 240p for the next Structure update in a week or two(?). So this is the best news I've heard for Ming Mecca in years.

I was surprised and cautiously excited to see Scart in the expander since it's common with retro game consoles. What would you guys want to use Scart for? I'm not sure what other devices utilize it.

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:23 am

Some old vcrs and DVD players use scart
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

hdd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hdd » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:58 am

i need one so much for my structure, but it's a hard price :(

johnwynberg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnwynberg » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:30 am

hdd wrote:i need one so much for my structure, but it's a hard price :(
Just curious, why exactly for Structure?

I was considering buying one but that was before the Structure, when I only had Visual Cortex and a few other LZX modules. Not that there would be no use for it, but since I got Structure, my workflow became easier. Apart from the downscaling and properly syncing signals coming from some cheap HDMI to Composite converters, I don't seem to have much use for it (yet).

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:30 pm

the tbc2 could act as a decent front end to structure - converting component or vga or scart to lzx standard for input

it could also act as an interface between a structure and other lzx modules (I'm guessing that the composite in of the tbc2 is colour) so that you can further process the structure output
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

OldManZero
Learning to Wiggle

Post by OldManZero » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:43 pm

My other main hobby is to upgrade old retro game consoles to provide the best picture possible, which usually involves adding SCART output to those systems, so I am really looking forward to the SCART input connections.

You can easily get SCART cables to get a SCART RGB 240P output without modifications to the SNES, Sega Saturn, and PS1. You can also get a SCART cable for the Genesis, but you have to make sure you match it up to what version of Genesis system you have. The Sega Master System only has SCART RGB output available on the first version of the system.

You can get SCART connections for the Atari 2600, NES, ColecoVision, Intellivision, 3DO, TG-16 and N64 but must have to physically modify the console to provide a SCART-compatible RGB output.

You can find out more info over at retrorgb.com if you are interested in learning more.

What I want to know is if the SCART input will be EuroSCART or JP-21 (Japan) SCART formats? I guess you could design them to accept either one, but it's my understanding that due to power line differences, mixing them up can damage systems.

Return to “Video Synthesis”