List of Hardware Video Synthesizers & Audiovisualizers

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent, daverj

bentoncbainbridge
Common Wiggler

Post by bentoncbainbridge » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Resurrecting this thread from the dead. In the next month or so I hop etc be able to check out the Templeton Mixer, a few of these were built for NCET in SF. I'll also be talking to Larry Templeton, the designer around that time. Hopefully I'll get the profile and pictures I did of the Steve Beck Direct Video Synth out around that time as well...

Templeton Mixer
Wow, that Joystick is the same used on the Rutt/Etra Video Synth! Any clue as to the make/model, Bill?[/quote]
AV improvisation with modular synths, hacked Vectrex, musical saw and FX pedals. Rue Bainbridge: Here Come the Wormholes

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:31 pm

bentoncbainbridge wrote: Wow, that Joystick is the same used on the Rutt/Etra Video Synth! Any clue as to the make/model, Bill?
I don't. We may be able to pop it open next time I'm with Bob, or ask Larry about it. It was made a LOOOONG time ago so probably not still available. They're three axis. I did find these on eBay, but they are only 10k:

3-Axis Joystick

bentoncbainbridge
Common Wiggler

Post by bentoncbainbridge » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:54 pm

Nice find, Bill!
I still want to find that exact 70s era joystick. The Z knob can be turned with forefinger and thumb for precise one handed 3 axis action. The Rutt/Etra also has an excellent switchable slew function . It's how I did all the hand animation for the TV On The Radio video
Another excellent 3 axis joystick was on the Sony DME-3000 (if I correctly recall the model number). Bill Etra performed really well with that one, as well as the RE4 of course.
AV improvisation with modular synths, hacked Vectrex, musical saw and FX pedals. Rue Bainbridge: Here Come the Wormholes

SynthularModulus
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by SynthularModulus » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:25 pm

deAnimator wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:41 pm

i also wanted to post some (reasonably documented) DIY projects in the very near future, namely:
  • -a PIC based 800x600 VGA signal generator (parts of which, including the code, have been floating around here and there for a while now)
    -schematics for a cheap-as-hell, multi-format, sync restoration, "demangler" device
    -also, some kind of little-fuqr / remangler would be nice
but let's see
I am definitely interested in any of these! I would try my hand at building any of them if you've put together any documentation.

Return to “Video Synthesis”