List of Hardware Video Synthesizers & Audiovisualizers

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe., daverj

ocd synthnerd
Common Wiggler

Post by ocd synthnerd » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:37 pm

Too bad Korg doesn't make the kaptivator anymore. It had a nice combo of features. Seems like people hold on to them.

Ya some of the specs of the p-10 aren't impressive for the price, but it
looks fun and would be much more ergonomic than what I've got going on now. Good to hear people like them. I think I want one.

Thanks Johnny

wcfields
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wcfields » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Should we add in mixers that a specifically built for effects?

Like the:
Edirol V4
Edirol V8
Vixid vjx16-4
ImageExperimental Half Hour - LA's own television show of experimental music and performance art.

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:49 pm

Mixers seem like a different list to me. So many mixers can produce different types of effects, and I'm trying to keep this list to synthesizers and audiovisualizers specifically. I know the mixers you mentioned are FX heavy, and certainly a case could be made for the Vixid since that's designed for VJs. But I think those belong on a List of Video Mixers. If you strongly disagree then I'll add 'em... I don't have a huge opinion on it, just trying to keep this list focused.

jenamu6
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jenamu6 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:04 am

How difficult would it be to use the bitvison on a PAL tv?

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:06 am

Bitvision doesn't work with PAL TVs unfortunately. You'd need some sort of NTSC>PAL standards converter.

jenamu6
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jenamu6 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:17 am

Too bad :cry:

Would really like some sort of visualizer next to my modulars....external input is a must.
I can't seem to find any with PAL. hs33i seems to limited....the critter Guitari videoscoop lloks nice....but is also NTSC.

Any recommendations? Perhaps I need to buy an old pc for it?

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:51 am

Well all of the lower price range, standalone visualizers are going to be somewhat limited in the variety of their outputs. They all do some pretty neat stuff. I think HS33i only responds to a trigger signal though, rather than a waveform display (like C&G Videoscope and Bitvision.) PAL<>NTSC converters aren't that expensive I don't think -- maybe someone can recommend some cheap ones. I think BitSmasher here uses one or more in his rig.

bitSmasher
Common Wiggler

Post by bitSmasher » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Yep, HSS3i is insane fun but the audio/trigger input only modulates one parameter of the output, which varies depending on the patch, so it's not much of an audiovisualiser as such.

I just wrote a rambling post about cheap audiovisualising then decided to can it as it's a discussion best left so a seperate thread ;)

This post will be useful and relevant though, in saying that the Stray Technologies WaitForVBlank isn't available anymore... but someone else has made a digital copy of the Atari Video Music - Pixelmusic 3000

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:53 pm

It costs a lot more than Bitvision, and is meant for processing images (like a camera) rather than just generating patterns, but the MVIP works fine in PAL.

wcfields
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wcfields » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Add to DIY / Non-Commercial :

http://www.mediumrecords.com/vs0/vs001.html

VS001 - VGA Expropriator
Analogue Video Synthesizer
ImageExperimental Half Hour - LA's own television show of experimental music and performance art.

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:10 pm

I think to make it onto this list it needs to be a currently available product for purchase OR a DIY project documented well enough to build one if so desired (this project is awesome, but a one-off with insufficient documentation for someone else to build it.)

tachyons+
Common Wiggler

Post by tachyons+ » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:01 pm

tachyons+
Common Wiggler

Post by tachyons+ » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:05 pm

oh someone already posted it. :doh:

yeah, wonder why theres no schematic.... the wiring looks nuts. :hmm:

deAnimator
Common Wiggler

Post by deAnimator » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:41 pm

wcfields wrote:Add to DIY / Non-Commercial :

http://www.mediumrecords.com/vs0/vs001.html

VS001 - VGA Expropriator
Analogue Video Synthesizer
creatorlars wrote:I think to make it onto this list it needs to be a currently available product for purchase OR a DIY project documented well enough to build one if so desired (this project is awesome, but a one-off with insufficient documentation for someone else to build it.)
hi hi.
indeed this project was kind of a one-off.
was made as an experimental AV tool and was presented in a way to (hopefully) provoke dialogue.
i am planning to build some more refined versions of the same box to spread around this year...so perhaps some of these or their offspring will make the list.
i also wanted to post some (reasonably documented) DIY projects in the very near future, namely:
  • -a PIC based 800x600 VGA signal generator (parts of which, including the code, have been floating around here and there for a while now)
    -schematics for a cheap-as-hell, multi-format, sync restoration, "demangler" device
    -also, some kind of little-fuqr / remangler would be nice
but let's see

VJFranzK
Learning to Wiggle

Post by VJFranzK » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:40 pm

I still use my Entrancer sometimes! Hated by some, treasured by those who understand what they're actually good for.

Also, there are circuit-bent video mixers ( games, etc. ) that produce enough glitch to function as "synths". These are one of a kind, of course. ( My friend just got one, so will investigate. )

I would like to get some analog modules in future, after seeing what people like Johnny Woods are doing with them! ( particularly audio / midi responsive for A/V sets ) Also, I remember Levelhead, the Rebelle master from VJForums!

Using only laptops for VJ / music? - now efficient, but can be boring.
"Good evening my friends." Music Tech Reviews
Youtube.com/VJFranzK

bentoncbainbridge
Common Wiggler

Post by bentoncbainbridge » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:30 pm

snufkin wrote:
daverj wrote:I may have played with an early prototype of the Videosizer, though it didn't have a name at the time.

Richard Monkhouse came to a meeting of video designers/engineers involved in non-profit organizations around NY state. It was held at the VideoFreex' house in the Catskills in the mid 70s. He brought with him a prototype of something he was working on. It was a box with a computer keyboard mounted on it and a few knobs and switches. It made all sorts of colored shapes as you pressed the keys

Somewhere I have a group photo of all of us.
that would be amazing to see Mr Jones :hail:
Dave, did you come across this picture? Cool that you met Richard Monkhouse, I hadn't heard that!
Video synthesis for Howling: Lover

bentoncbainbridge
Common Wiggler

Post by bentoncbainbridge » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:36 pm

daverj wrote:I may have played with an early prototype of the Videosizer, though it didn't have a name at the time.

Richard Monkhouse came to a meeting of video designers/engineers involved in non-profit organizations around NY state. It was held at the VideoFreex' house in the Catskills in the mid 70s. He brought with him a prototype of something he was working on. It was a box with a computer keyboard mounted on it and a few knobs and switches. It made all sorts of colored shapes as you pressed the keys

was it a prototype of one of the machine in this Video Circuits post? http://videocircuits.blogspot.com/search?q=monkhouse
Video synthesis for Howling: Lover

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:47 pm

Resurrecting this thread from the dead. In the next month or so I hop etc be able to check out the Templeton Mixer, a few of these were built for NCET in SF. I'll also be talking to Larry Templeton, the designer around that time. Hopefully I'll get the profile and pictures I did of the Steve Beck Direct Video Synth out around that time as well...

Templeton Mixer

mr_coops
Common Wiggler

Post by mr_coops » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:58 am

wow that looks awesome Bill :yay:

lorenzovektor
I want cyborg legs

Post by lorenzovektor » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:51 am

How about adding professional media servers/visualizers/software to this list?

Hardware:
High End Systems Axon Server
Martin Professional Maxedia
Green Hippo Hippotizer

Software:
ArKaos
d3 Technologies
Madrix
Modul8
Resolume
VDMX
Playback Pro

PixelPeeper
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PixelPeeper » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:42 pm

*edited*

double post :doh:
Last edited by PixelPeeper on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PixelPeeper
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PixelPeeper » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:10 pm

lorenzovektor wrote:How about adding professional media servers/visualizers/software to this list?

Hardware:
Green Hippo Hippotizer

Software:
ArKaos
d3 Technologies
Madrix
Modul8
Resolume
VDMX
Playback Pro
Touchdesigner. Its free

lorenzovektor
I want cyborg legs

Post by lorenzovektor » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:28 pm

PixelPeeper wrote:
lorenzovektor wrote:How about adding professional media servers/visualizers/software to this list?

Hardware:
Green Hippo Hippotizer

Software:
ArKaos
d3 Technologies
Madrix
Modul8
Resolume
VDMX
Playback Pro
Touchdesigner. Its free
I wouldn't call it free, see their terms of use, they should be added to software visualizers if the group deems so:

https://www.derivative.ca/088/Downloads/
https://www.derivative.ca/shop/shopdisp ... s.asp?id=1

"CONDITIONS OF USE
Use of this product is in accordance with the Derivative TouchDesigner license agreement.

If you or your organization are compensated for your work with TouchDesigner, you must have a Commercial or Pro TouchDesigner license. Licenses are available for purchase at the Derivative Store.

Refer to Licensing to compare Pro, Commercial, Educational, and Non-Commercial license features. This page also provides help for creating keys. "

PixelPeeper
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PixelPeeper » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:39 am

I wouldn't call it free, see their terms of use, they should be added to software visualizers if the group deems so:

you are correct. If you are profiting from using Derivatives software or ANY software for that matter you should purchase it from the developers, it will save you major headaches in the long run.

Touchdesigner is only "free" for private use and is only good up to 1280x720 resolutions. The non-commercial version also does not have some of the more pro features.

but, you can use it to learn, and it is fun

kind of like a hybrid of a 3d software, something like after effects (compositing) and maxmsp or processing.

in fact, you could clone every module in the LZX product line inside of it if you had a nice enough computer and some python knowledge to handle the math involved.

lorenzovektor
I want cyborg legs

Post by lorenzovektor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Check out "Fusion" from BlackMagic Design, also a freebie but very good for compositing

Return to “Video Synthesis”