List of Hardware Video Synthesizers & Audiovisualizers

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe., daverj

bentoncbainbridge
Common Wiggler

Post by bentoncbainbridge » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Resurrecting this thread from the dead. In the next month or so I hop etc be able to check out the Templeton Mixer, a few of these were built for NCET in SF. I'll also be talking to Larry Templeton, the designer around that time. Hopefully I'll get the profile and pictures I did of the Steve Beck Direct Video Synth out around that time as well...

Templeton Mixer
Wow, that Joystick is the same used on the Rutt/Etra Video Synth! Any clue as to the make/model, Bill?[/quote]
Video synthesis for Howling: Lover

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:31 pm

bentoncbainbridge wrote: Wow, that Joystick is the same used on the Rutt/Etra Video Synth! Any clue as to the make/model, Bill?
I don't. We may be able to pop it open next time I'm with Bob, or ask Larry about it. It was made a LOOOONG time ago so probably not still available. They're three axis. I did find these on eBay, but they are only 10k:

3-Axis Joystick

bentoncbainbridge
Common Wiggler

Post by bentoncbainbridge » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:54 pm

Nice find, Bill!
I still want to find that exact 70s era joystick. The Z knob can be turned with forefinger and thumb for precise one handed 3 axis action. The Rutt/Etra also has an excellent switchable slew function . It's how I did all the hand animation for the TV On The Radio video
Another excellent 3 axis joystick was on the Sony DME-3000 (if I correctly recall the model number). Bill Etra performed really well with that one, as well as the RE4 of course.
Video synthesis for Howling: Lover

SynthularModulus
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by SynthularModulus » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:25 pm

deAnimator wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:41 pm

i also wanted to post some (reasonably documented) DIY projects in the very near future, namely:
  • -a PIC based 800x600 VGA signal generator (parts of which, including the code, have been floating around here and there for a while now)
    -schematics for a cheap-as-hell, multi-format, sync restoration, "demangler" device
    -also, some kind of little-fuqr / remangler would be nice
but let's see
I am definitely interested in any of these! I would try my hand at building any of them if you've put together any documentation.

Return to “Video Synthesis”