Video Capture Devices

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe., daverj

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:22 am

Video capture for Linux is fully supported by Blackmagic. Not only is there a driver, they give apps too. So there's a proper video capture app. Compared to my experiences with audio, I'm really impressed by how smoothly it all works.

Having said that, I'm now using their Shuttle to record and then edit on a computer in another room. This is actually much easier, as the Shuttle is small enough to sit under the monitor in my video rig, unlike the computer...
https://vimeo.com/user2264453
CANNOT DIY. WILL NOT DIY. DO NOT WANT.

cskonopka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cskonopka » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:34 pm

nerdware wrote:Video capture for Linux is fully supported by Blackmagic. Not only is there a driver, they give apps too. So there's a proper video capture app. Compared to my experiences with audio, I'm really impressed by how smoothly it all works.

Having said that, I'm now using their Shuttle to record and then edit on a computer in another room. This is actually much easier, as the Shuttle is small enough to sit under the monitor in my video rig, unlike the computer...
:omg: :omg: You just blew my minddddddd. :deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana:

Great schema too. This is amazing and now I want to see how a microcontroller would be in this situation. I knew BM had an SDK but their information is rather vague. They say you can do cool things with it but after I've seen many companies do the same I don't put much stock in it.

Really encouraging, thanks for the info!! :omg:
"The edge is where we live, all of us, all the time. People trying to convince themselves otherwise is just an exercise in self-deception."

/[draining of the brain via IV on instagram : cskonopka]\

evolve
Common Wiggler

Post by evolve » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:00 pm

cskonopka wrote:
Jasper wrote:Was the mini no good?
Granted the one I got was used but it was DOA. Randomly worked once then didn't and the stock supply had a high-pitched buzz. But the worst part of it was the Mac drivers, their support is a complete mess. Even on the forums, there really isn't a solution besides it is best used with a Windows machine. I've had good luck with Black Magic so far but there aren't many solutions out there. Granted, it may work better for other people and I've known many to have great luck with the Matrox. For me though, I just didn't want to spend time troubleshooting this and trying to get their support on the horn when realistically I know it will become a circular buffer of annoyance.

cap attached from the express
I have had the exact opposite experience with Matrox.

First off, I started on Windows. Had issues getting it operational on Win7 with the PCI express card. Called support and they walked me through everything for an hour. Even logged in to my computer remote to fix things. What company supports used gear bought on Ebay? I was really impressed. Second, the mini is very STABLE on mac but I had lots of issues with Windows. Many of the features, like capturing in different codecs directly and the hardware upscaling are not available under windows. They can only be done with a mac.

Now I have a mac, switched to thunderbolt and I had some issues. Called support and the walked me through the set up again, was up and running in 5 minutes. The one issue I have found is that the host cable is EXTREMELY sensitive so not having it plugged in correctly was my most common issue. However, the light on the mini makes it clear when it's not connected properly. All in all very satisfied.

cskonopka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cskonopka » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:49 pm

evolve wrote:
cskonopka wrote:
Jasper wrote:Was the mini no good?
Granted the one I got was used but it was DOA. Randomly worked once then didn't and the stock supply had a high-pitched buzz. But the worst part of it was the Mac drivers, their support is a complete mess. Even on the forums, there really isn't a solution besides it is best used with a Windows machine. I've had good luck with Black Magic so far but there aren't many solutions out there. Granted, it may work better for other people and I've known many to have great luck with the Matrox. For me though, I just didn't want to spend time troubleshooting this and trying to get their support on the horn when realistically I know it will become a circular buffer of annoyance.

cap attached from the express
I have had the exact opposite experience with Matrox.

First off, I started on Windows. Had issues getting it operational on Win7 with the PCI express card. Called support and they walked me through everything for an hour. Even logged in to my computer remote to fix things. What company supports used gear bought on Ebay? I was really impressed. Second, the mini is very STABLE on mac but I had lots of issues with Windows. Many of the features, like capturing in different codecs directly and the hardware upscaling are not available under windows. They can only be done with a mac.

Now I have a mac, switched to thunderbolt and I had some issues. Called support and the walked me through the set up again, was up and running in 5 minutes. The one issue I have found is that the host cable is EXTREMELY sensitive so not having it plugged in correctly was my most common issue. However, the light on the mini makes it clear when it's not connected properly. All in all very satisfied.
Fascinating. When you contacted them, what was your support process like? For me it didn't help one bit and their forums were repetitive. And plus they aren't supporting current operating systems so it can be challenging I the future. Ive been there with other devices and didn't want to get such in limbo. Or alter my OS just for this. What OS are you running? I tried on 3 different operating systems with no luck. I've met a few people that have experience the same. Probably the gnomes again. No upscaling along for Windows? That sounds odd. And the sensitivity of the host cable? That's even stranger. It's really stable with sensitive cable? That would be a downward spiral for me. I'm not skeptical about your process just the device itself. I'm really excited you shared this because the thunderbolt version seems to be rare around here. Got any videos or pics to share?
"The edge is where we live, all of us, all the time. People trying to convince themselves otherwise is just an exercise in self-deception."

/[draining of the brain via IV on instagram : cskonopka]\

elklotzy
Learning to Wiggle

blackmagic settings? (using intensity shuttle thunderbolt)

Post by elklotzy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:11 pm

question: for those using blackmagic, what settings are you using? i'm having trouble with my new lzx system (out from visual cortex) and blackmagic intensity shuttle (thunderbolt version)...

**EDIT: RESOLVED**
Last edited by elklotzy on Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:35 pm

i'm also on the hunt for a decent capture solution.
I don't have a lot of cash right now, so my price maximum is about 70,- euros
I borrowed a black magic intensity shuttle usb3, but it does not work on my system.

do you have any tips what to choose / avoid?
I want to capture video from a TrinsRGB-1c and PAL video from an analog mixer.

I found these:
Hauppauge Win TV USB-Live2-videograbber
Hauppauge Impact VCB - Video capture adapter - PCI
Terra Tec Grabster AV 300 MX (software = magix, so that might be crap)
Elgato Video Capture

Jasper
Common Wiggler

Post by Jasper » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:34 am

The matrox has been a PITA for me so far. Mostly boils down to them not and never planning to support El Capitan. Just bought a MBP off of craigslist specifically for this purpose, but now have to find a way to get Yosemite since Matrox isn't supported in Capistan. Hopefully the brick and mortar Apple store has the Yosem installer, because now that Capi is out they've pulled it from the app store :bang:

Seems really strange that they've officially stated that they have no intention of releasing drivers for either Windows 10 OR El Capistan. On one hand they're still selling the devices and on the other they've stopped supporting compatibility of said devices. Wild. Really makes me consider looking into different hardware just on principle.

Polykrom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Polykrom » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:48 am

Hi all, I'm joining the search for a good capture solution! I'm looking for a way to record the video output (obviously), but ideally also a way to feed the video into a mapping software (LPMT) to map it for projection to complex surfaces.

Ideally I'd like to feed the video to a suitable CRT monitor and film it in glorious HD, but I'd like a solution which could also easily be adapted to just record straight component from the synth, for situations when a crazy camera setup is inconvenient. For the monitor+camera solution, I think I'll hack my Nikon D7000 SLR to output clean HDMI without the menu overlays that can't be removed by default, and to get the output into the confuser I'm considering a Magewell HDMI dongle (link). To capture component directly, I guess this thing could feed the synth output into the Magewell dongle.

To make matters worse, I am for some reason doing all this on Linux. While some of the Blackmagic things work on Linux, it does appear that they use their own software, not v4l2? Any comments on this? I would need v4l2, as that's how the video would get fed into LPMT.

Moreover, I'll be using Veejay to mix videos that go into the synth for processing, and I imagine it could be very interesting to feed the output back in there (also v4l2).

Any thoughts on this? Have anyone here tried the Magewell stuff? They have some very interesting products, including PCIe cards that would be great for dedicated video machines.

handsomepanther
Common Wiggler

Post by handsomepanther » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:01 am

Just used this thing on a shoot "Atmos Shogun"
https://www.atomos.com/shogun/

capable of recording up to 4K via HDMI input so its able to record whatever incomming stream and saves Pro-Res Quicktime files.

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:12 am

I ended up ordering a Terratec Grabster AV300MX

let's hope it does decent grabs then :party:

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:38 pm

the Grabster AV300MX arrived today.
after testing the included software (it was disappointing to say the least)
I downloaded VirtualDub and Virtual VCR.
These gives me way more options and far better video quality.
(output to uncompressed is vital)

I only have to find out how to deinterlace correctly.

Polykrom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Polykrom » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:22 am

I just received one of those Magewell USB3 HDMI cards, and can confirm that it works very well. I haven't assessed the quality thoroughly yet, but it seems fine. It's extremely easy to set up – that is, there is no setup at all. On my Ubuntu machine, it just pops up as another V4L2 device, with absolutely no drivers to handle at all. Really smooth! Next step now is to hack my camera to give a clean HDMI output, but the Magewell also works well with a YPbPr→HDMI adapter.

Also ordered a Composite/S-video→YPbPr/VGA converter box, which I'll use to feed the LZX with madness from a circuit-bent TI99. Fun times!

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:47 pm

Jasper wrote:The matrox has been a PITA for me so far. Mostly boils down to them not and never planning to support El Capitan.
This sucks. I was recently looking into possibly upgrading to the Matrox MXO Mini for 1080p capturing. No El Capitan support kills the deal. I'll stick with the Canopus ADVC 110 for now.

thatfritzguy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thatfritzguy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:28 pm

So my trusty, rock solid Canopus 110 I've used for the past 9 years was returned from a 'friend' all lit up (fried FireWire chipset). Sloppy hotswapping? Replacing it with a used unit from eBay is quite the gamble. Most say 'powers up' and/or 'should work'. Yeh, mine 'powers up ' too! And it 'should work'.

Having a pre- thunderbolt Mac Pro led me to the BlackMagicDesigns Intensity Pro 4K pcie card (the option to upscale is enticing). I've read it has had major issues with its analog ins. My world is all composite video, so this is crucial in my decision.

Anyone using the intensity pro 4K card? Any issues with the composite or s-video ins and out?

Much apreesh!

Jasper
Common Wiggler

Post by Jasper » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:33 pm

I'm running a 4k Pci-e, the one that's like $189 or whatever. Never had any trouble with the composite ins, haven't tried the S-video tbh. I really like the card and you can do simultaneous I/O... For instance you can record your video noodling while you're feeding video to process.. It can get a bit laggy but I've had good results with it.

Haven't heard of SD problems

Having said that I'm on PC, not Mac.

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:54 am

My buddy just gave me a PC with a built in capture card for free! Tried it with Virtual Dub and the Panasonic WJ-MX70 I got (for super cheap!) and it is awesome. I'm so happy I have a way to capture somewhat decent quality now.

delray
Learning to Wiggle

Post by delray » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:36 am

Ive got the same magewell here and love it for getting HDMI sources into various softwares. But im looking for a good solution to bring in video from a 3trins. Ive used the little crappy composite -> HDMI boxes from amazon (AV2HDMI) but the quality is terrible.

If you find something decent, Im on the hunt for something that will output SD (so there is no scaling) and hopefully with decent deinterlacing + low latency. Hopefully not too much to ask.

I have looked at gefen's COMP to HDMI scalerhttp://www.gefen.com/product/composite- ... ID-2-HDMIS and have almost pulled the trigger - anyone else used this? or any other ideas?

running windows10...

Polykrom wrote:I just received one of those Magewell USB3 HDMI cards, and can confirm that it works very well. I haven't assessed the quality thoroughly yet, but it seems fine. It's extremely easy to set up – that is, there is no setup at all. On my Ubuntu machine, it just pops up as another V4L2 device, with absolutely no drivers to handle at all. Really smooth! Next step now is to hack my camera to give a clean HDMI output, but the Magewell also works well with a YPbPr→HDMI adapter.

Also ordered a Composite/S-video→YPbPr/VGA converter box, which I'll use to feed the LZX with madness from a circuit-bent TI99. Fun times!

f4c3v4lu3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by f4c3v4lu3 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:59 am

I know a few video synthesists that use this:

Have only seen it in use live though, so can't comment on quality for capture...

alexosm
Learning to Wiggle

Simultaneous video capture - help please!

Post by alexosm » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:52 pm

Hi, I've been shooting live with three or four eighties PAL broadcast cameras, going through a video mixer, along with live video effects, keying etc. Up to now I've been editing live, to a dvcam deck, and then digitising later from the deck.

I would like to be able to capture the feed from at least three of the cameras so I can refine and edit footage later- rather than a live edit to one DV deck. Ideally I'd also like to be able to play back all the footage simultaneously to four CRT monitors as if it was live. I know I could edit in Premiere like this, but I would like to be able to work with the separate monitors in a live control room style edit if it's possible.

The only suggestion I've had is four PAL to SDI convertors going to a Blackmagic DeckLink Quad and then to a computer. It doesn't seem very elegant, would that be reliable?

I was considering using a CCTV capture device, for multiple cameras. Has anyone tried this? I can't really spend more than $1k-1.5k

thanks for any suggestions!
Alex

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:50 am

delray wrote:Ive got the same magewell here and love it for getting HDMI sources into various softwares. But im looking for a good solution to bring in video from a 3trins. Ive used the little crappy composite -> HDMI boxes from amazon (AV2HDMI) but the quality is terrible.

If you find something decent, Im on the hunt for something that will output SD (so there is no scaling) and hopefully with decent deinterlacing + low latency. Hopefully not too much to ask.

I have looked at gefen's COMP to HDMI scalerhttp://www.gefen.com/product/composite- ... ID-2-HDMIS and have almost pulled the trigger - anyone else used this? or any other ideas?

running windows10...

Polykrom wrote:I just received one of those Magewell USB3 HDMI cards, and can confirm that it works very well. I haven't assessed the quality thoroughly yet, but it seems fine. It's extremely easy to set up – that is, there is no setup at all. On my Ubuntu machine, it just pops up as another V4L2 device, with absolutely no drivers to handle at all. Really smooth! Next step now is to hack my camera to give a clean HDMI output, but the Magewell also works well with a YPbPr→HDMI adapter.

Did you end up getting this? What's the result like?

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:44 pm

delray wrote:I have looked at gefen's COMP to HDMI scalerhttp://www.gefen.com/product/composite- ... ID-2-HDMIS and have almost pulled the trigger.....
Another that came up per the LZX community is the Kramer VP-410 Composite Video & Stereo Audio to HDMI Scaler.

handsomepanther
Common Wiggler

Re: Video Capture Devices

Post by handsomepanther » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:09 pm

I've been having great results with averMedia stuff.
For HD 1920x1080 i use this
it records decent quality designed for youtube gamer channel stuff.

I also had pretty good luck with the 4K recorder- only this one does not have "standalone mode" and requires a pc to operate the capture process via software.

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:59 am

handsomepanther wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:09 pm
I've been having great results with averMedia stuff.
For HD 1920x1080 i use this
it records decent quality designed for youtube gamer channel stuff.

I also had pretty good luck with the 4K recorder- only this one does not have "standalone mode" and requires a pc to operate the capture process via software.
I was thinking of avermedia for some time, and it's not clear how well their stuff works with mac. Did I get it right that the first one is ok with any os?

FetidEye
demonic space drone

Post by FetidEye » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:42 pm

I got a Canopus ADVC100 (firewire) as a present from a friend. This works great with Premiere Pro.

handsomepanther
Common Wiggler

Post by handsomepanther » Mon May 04, 2020 7:36 pm

synth.void wrote: Did I get it right that the first one is ok with any os?
that first one works completely in standalone mode and then comes up as a USB drive so its most likely fine with a Mac or PC.
as for The second 4K one i'm not sure if they offer a Mac Version of the software

Return to “Video Synthesis”