Video Capture Devices

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe., daverj

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:55 am

I'm no expert.....

- Canopus ADVC110
- Final Cut X
- Sony KV-1311CR (monitoring)
Last edited by monads on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

giantmecha
Learning to Wiggle

Post by giantmecha » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:48 pm

Having some trouble capturing the color I see on my CRT accurately with my Matrox mxo2. I've got the chroma boosted on my CRT, which gives me some nice tones and seems to enhance gradients.

When I capture into the computer, I get pretty flat color, sans gradients. Been experimenting with ways to bring back the look in post, but to no avail. There's a pref pane for the Matrox with a few Chroma Filtering options, but that doens't seem to make much of a difference?

Any advice? Thanks.

ObfuscatedVisuals
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ObfuscatedVisuals » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:26 pm

giantmecha wrote:Having some trouble capturing the color I see on my CRT accurately with my Matrox mxo2. I've got the chroma boosted on my CRT, which gives me some nice tones and seems to enhance gradients.

When I capture into the computer, I get pretty flat color, sans gradients. Been experimenting with ways to bring back the look in post, but to no avail. There's a pref pane for the Matrox with a few Chroma Filtering options, but that doens't seem to make much of a difference?

Any advice? Thanks.
You might try to using a standalone color processor inline to your capture input. Making adjustments on the CRT is misleading and those adjustments do not get passed through if you are connecting the signal from the throughput of the monitor to your computer.

In post you will want to consider applying a glow effect in a video editing package like Premiere or After Effects to simulate what you are seeing on the CRT.

eth
Common Wiggler

Post by eth » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:24 am

Ty wrote: I got the Infinity Shuttle (Thunderbolt) to work in minutes. I do not notice the scan lines mentioned above. I was able to bring the signal into VDMX (my goal) so I could further manipulate my image and then back again into my LZX system. Latency seems to be maybe a frame at most when including the V4 into the signal path. I have not done rigorous tests yet.
Is it possible to simultaneously capture analog video and output from a computer with the Matrox MXO2 Mini Thunderbolt?

Example: Output an image/video from my computer to LZX, process it, then capture again with computer?

If the MXO2 cannot do this, are there recommendations for a device that can?

Tenderosa
Common Wiggler

Post by Tenderosa » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:43 am

I've good experience to report from a BM intensity thunderbolt on a Mac mini. Composite in from video synth, black syphon feeds it into the Vizzable plugins in Ableton where it is up scaled to 1080 and then recorded out to a hyper deck shuttle via hdmi out on the mac. Audio from Live also goes out to the shuttle recorder through hdmi

eth
Common Wiggler

Post by eth » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:15 pm

Tenderosa wrote:I've good experience to report from a BM intensity thunderbolt on a Mac mini. Composite in from video synth, black syphon feeds it into the Vizzable plugins in Ableton where it is up scaled to 1080 and then recorded out to a hyper deck shuttle via hdmi out on the mac. Audio from Live also goes out to the shuttle recorder through hdmi
Thanks for the info. With the Blackmagic Intensity, would you be able to, say, output Ableton/Vizzable/other video software from computer to the video synth, then simultaneously record the composite video from the video synth? Having two capture devices surely makes this more straightforward, but ultimately I am wondering if it is possible with the MXO2 Mini Thunderbolt.

Tenderosa
Common Wiggler

Post by Tenderosa » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:53 am

I had the same thought but it seems the intensity won't do input & output at the same time. Or at least in Black Syphon the outputs are unavailable when you are using the inputs. I tried in VDMX as well which doesn't require Black Syphon & same deal. There may be a way that I haven't found yet.

Though I can report the SD from the synth scaled to 1080 & recorded in pro res looks fantastic. There is an option to do it in the intensity software that I couldn't get to work but doing it in Vizzable was easy.

eth
Common Wiggler

Post by eth » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:42 am

Thanks for the reply. Whether I can do simultaneous input/output is mostly an extra for me; the main motivation for getting a capture device is upgrading from shaky cell phone pictures of a CRT to clean, high quality digital recordings. :banana:

reialex
Learning to Wiggle

Post by reialex » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:20 am

I use a canopus advc-110. It works great for what I need it for, also allows for the computer it's hooked up to to become a preview monitor. Though a word of caution is that some detail seems to get lost in the process.

evolve
Common Wiggler

Post by evolve » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:55 pm

I've tried the Matrox MX02 Mini, and also a DVD player then ripping with handbrake. So far MX02 is getting superior footage, DVD recorder mostly useful for recording while out because it's so compact and doesnt require a computer.

MX02 is much better a platform for mac than windows, windows has a lot less options. The support from Matrox was excellent. They helped me over the phone on numerous calls even though I stated that I had bought it from ebay.

Worst issue has been getting the handbrake settings right. Lots of blocky squares. It seems like the codecs compression algorithms are made for movies, not lava lamp style glitchy banding weirdness.

Next up is to try DV recording and DSLR recording on a CRT.

evolve
Common Wiggler

Post by evolve » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:57 pm

ObfuscatedVisuals wrote:
giantmecha wrote:Having some trouble capturing the color I see on my CRT accurately with my Matrox mxo2. I've got the chroma boosted on my CRT, which gives me some nice tones and seems to enhance gradients.

Any advice? Thanks.
You might try to using a standalone color processor inline to your capture input. Making adjustments on the CRT is misleading and those adjustments do not get passed through if you are connecting the signal from the throughput of the monitor to your computer.

In post you will want to consider applying a glow effect in a video editing package like Premiere or After Effects to simulate what you are seeing on the CRT.

Gamma adjustment either through your video editing program or a color corrector. I use a big ol' Sony XV-900 and it comes through nice. Still missing a bit of cathode ray warmth but good enough!

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:35 am

I'm currently using a Blackmagic Design Mini-converter and a Shuttle. The only problem is running out of disk space. :doh:
https://vimeo.com/user2264453
CANNOT DIY. WILL NOT DIY. DO NOT WANT.

Jasper
Common Wiggler

Post by Jasper » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:13 pm

What apple laptop would any of you fine folks suggest for use with LZX and a Matrox Mini? I picked up a thunderbolt Matrox mini recently and have 0 knowledge of Apple products. Looking to find something used off of craigslist solely for use with viddy. Tragically my WinPC doesn't have an express port or PCI-E, so that's out of the question. And I'm only with my regular desktop PC 1/4 of the time. Suggestions? :hail:

Jasper
Common Wiggler

Post by Jasper » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:10 pm

Also would it be possible to capture and output from the same computer if you were using 2 different ports/capture-output devices?

Ie Matrox from one thunderbolt port and an AJA IO from the other?

eth
Common Wiggler

Post by eth » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:47 pm

Jasper wrote:What apple laptop would any of you fine folks suggest for use with LZX and a Matrox Mini? I picked up a thunderbolt Matrox mini recently and have 0 knowledge of Apple products. Looking to find something used off of craigslist solely for use with viddy. Tragically my WinPC doesn't have an express port or PCI-E, so that's out of the question. And I'm only with my regular desktop PC 1/4 of the time. Suggestions? :hail:
Others can provide actual valuable input, but my experience with the MXO2 Mini Thunderbolt currently is, I just got it in the mail and am going to try it with Premiere on my 2013 refurbished 13" Macbook Pro Retina... However I'll be spamming way more often once I carry my analog experiments to the digital realm :oops:

Jasper
Common Wiggler

Post by Jasper » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:00 pm

Lemme know how that works out, that's a similar setup to where I'm headed I reckon. Just don't want to spend too much on a lappy for no reason but also don't want to buy one and find out it's shit for the purpose. What works/doesn't is valuable info!

eth
Common Wiggler

Post by eth » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:55 am

MXO2 Mini w/ Premiere users:

What settings are you using in the Capture panel, Settings, for the "Matrox Recorder Configuration"? The only Video format that seems to be working for me is NTSC 8-bit. Under "Configure Codec", the various compression algorithms all seem to work, but I don't immediately notice a huge difference in quality. If I try NTSC 10-bit or 720p (any frame rate), when I press Record in the Capture panel, I get an error: "File write error. An error occurred when writing the file."

I am inputting Component to the MXO2 Mini from my Visual Cortex. Here are my Matrox Utilities settings for A/V Input, Video Output, and WYSIWYG.

Any suggestions? I'm a 100% noob to Premiere, the MXO2, and video in general. Many thanks in advance for collective wisdom and patience! :cloud:

cskonopka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cskonopka » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:20 am

Just got a BlackMagic UltraStudio Express after returning a Matrox Mini, seems good so far. Worth investigating.
"The edge is where we live, all of us, all the time. People trying to convince themselves otherwise is just an exercise in self-deception."

/[draining of the brain via IV on instagram : cskonopka]\

Jasper
Common Wiggler

Post by Jasper » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:21 am

Was the mini no good?

cskonopka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cskonopka » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:36 am

Jasper wrote:Was the mini no good?
Granted the one I got was used but it was DOA. Randomly worked once then didn't and the stock supply had a high-pitched buzz. But the worst part of it was the Mac drivers, their support is a complete mess. Even on the forums, there really isn't a solution besides it is best used with a Windows machine. I've had good luck with Black Magic so far but there aren't many solutions out there. Granted, it may work better for other people and I've known many to have great luck with the Matrox. For me though, I just didn't want to spend time troubleshooting this and trying to get their support on the horn when realistically I know it will become a circular buffer of annoyance.

cap attached from the express
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The edge is where we live, all of us, all the time. People trying to convince themselves otherwise is just an exercise in self-deception."

goldenliustra
Common Wiggler

Post by goldenliustra » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:32 am

Looks very good, the cap screen! Wanted to ask if you have tried BM Intensity before deciding on Ultrastudio Express?

Perhaps you know if there are any substantial differences between those, at least in terms of basic capturing process?

cskonopka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cskonopka » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:00 am

goldenliustra wrote:Looks very good, the cap screen! Wanted to ask if you have tried BM Intensity before deciding on Ultrastudio Express?

Perhaps you know if there are any substantial differences between those, at least in terms of basic capturing process?
Thanks friend! Looks rather solid overall, my eyes are kinda blurry at this point.

I haven't tried the Intensity but I've heard mixed things about it and the drivers. Some people have had great luck with the thunderbolt but the usb3 seems to have some trouble. The price is definitely worth the experiment though. I decided on the Express because of the expandability (multiple breakout cables), no supply (all via thunderbolt) and specs overall for the price. Outside of that the prices jump to nearly 1K if you want get something with 4:4:4 and great quality. All about those weird compromises. The Express up-converts to 59.94i from Composite which is rather nice.

Overall, for me at least (mac user), BlackMagic has been more reliable for me and straight ahead. Get the hardware, get the software and figure out the best settings. Software is rather straight forward and not very bloaty, then use Premiere.

Anyone with an Intensity have any info?

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:44 pm

I finally have my mini working stably under windows 7 64 bit (PCI card) through premiere. Scaling is working and capture is reliable. Now that I said that I'll probably jinx it... :deadbanana:

cskonopka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cskonopka » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:57 pm

Dirty_Bill wrote:
I finally have my mini working stably under windows 7 64 bit (PCI card) through premiere. Scaling is working and capture is reliable. Now that I said that I'll probably jinx it... :deadbanana:
Windows seems to be the key for the Matrox. Plus the PCI card is probably a lot more stable. What Windows OS are you running? Darn it now I want to see if I can run this is Linux and circumvent everything. :bang:

if the jinx starts happening I have a few zombie on retainer to fight Z battle :zombie: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:22 am

Win 7 SP2 I think. Linux sounds like a masochists errand... But best o' luck! :nana: :ripbanana: :zombie:

Return to “Video Synthesis”