The Archer "Video Synth"

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent, daverj

hexinverter
the nettles make me think happy times

The Archer "Video Synth"

Post by hexinverter » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:13 pm

Okay, well, it's definitely not synthesizing stuff :P

But, it is processing video.

I'm currently modifying an Archer Color Processor from the 70's (which I purchased for $12) and making it into a capable device to use with my modular synthesizer. At its stock condition, it allows you to modify the Hue, Chroma, "Burst" and "Intensity" of an image in real time.

Features I am adding include:

- Full voltage control of both Chroma and Hue controls (for use with my v/oct audio synthesizer)
- 2x onboard LFOs
- 2x onboard clocks
- 2x onboard envelope generators
- Numerous fun circuit bends (with patchbay)

...all of this additional circuitry exists on a PCB I designed and routed...pretty simple circuitry (mostly) adapted from various designs around the 'net...the CV mixer is of course just a standard DC mixer.

It will feature banana jacks for patching (just like my modular)

I was lucky enough to get the original schematic for this unit with it, so it has been immensely helpful in terms of voltage controlling it and locating bends!

I shot a (very) crappy video of it the other day in its infancy. I have yet to complete the project, but am currently working on it. Here are a bunch of photos/video. I think this is going to be a fun piece of gear when it is done! :tu:

[video][/video]

Hexinverter Électronique
em: stacy[at]hexinverter.net

Matos
Modular masturbator

Post by Matos » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Looks great! Seems like there's been a resurgence in interest in video and video hacking. Lots of cool stuff with the videotronics being done to. Keep us posted. :bananaguitar:

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:30 pm

awesome! i have one of those guys laying around. could i just replace the banana jacks with 3.5mm jacks to use with an LZX?

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:45 pm

barto wrote:awesome! i have one of those guys laying around. could i just replace the banana jacks with 3.5mm jacks to use with an LZX?
Yeah, you could replace the jacks...no problemo :) This thing runs on 0-10V CV though...LZX is 0-1V, so, you'd have to either amplify your LZX modulation sources by a factor of 10, or attenuate the modulation sources from this to feed into your LZX :)

Is it for sure the "color" processor? There are a number of different Archer processors with 4 knobs...it has to be the same one for my mods to work most likely :)
Last edited by hexinverter on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hexinverter Électronique

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:46 pm

Matos wrote:Looks great! Seems like there's been a resurgence in interest in video and video hacking. Lots of cool stuff with the videotronics being done to. Keep us posted. :bananaguitar:
Haha yeah, seeing the stuff Lars is working on all the time on Facebook as well as some other guys in the video scene has really inspired me to create yet another addiction for myself! :nana:
Hexinverter Électronique

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Hey Hex, cool!

Can you offer an alternate BOM for those of us who would want a 1V I/O CV standard and possibly high bandwidth input buffers for the CV? I can assist in any way you need/want me to.

This could make a very fun post-processor for an LZX system, sharing video-rate CVs would be a big plus.

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:41 pm

creatorlars wrote:Hey Hex, cool!

Can you offer an alternate BOM for those of us who would want a 1V I/O CV standard and possibly high bandwidth input buffers for the CV? I can assist in any way you need/want me to.

This could make a very fun post-processor for an LZX system, sharing video-rate CVs would be a big plus.
Sure man :)

I will email ya...
Hexinverter Électronique

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:46 pm

What you really want is a way to feed the luma video into the CV input for that chroma control. Then you have a colorizer. :)

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:58 pm

creatorlars wrote:What you really want is a way to feed the luma video into the CV input for that chroma control. Then you have a colorizer. :)
As in:

Composite source in -> Luma + Chroma -> Luma into Chroma CV?

That shouldn't be too hard at all, actually (looking at the schematic)
Hexinverter Électronique

ju4n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ju4n » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:27 pm

uugh, i USED to have one of these. :sadbanana:

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:40 pm

Composite source in -> Luma + Chroma -> Luma into Chroma CV?
If there's a DC restored signal somewhere, then filtering out the chroma subcarrier and then feeding the luma video into the Chroma CV is what you want to do. You want a high bandwidth signal path though -- shoot the schematics over and I should be able to figure out what's feasible.

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:43 am

hexinverter wrote:
Is it for sure the "color" processor? There are a number of different Archer processors with 4 knobs...it has to be the same one for my mods to work most likely :)
looks like the one with the cylindrical knobs is the one? starting from the top its super video processor, video color processor, video processor, and the bottom one is an archer SEG

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:05 am

barto wrote:looks like the one with the cylindrical knobs is the one? starting from the top its super video processor, video color processor, video processor, and the bottom one is an archer SEG
Yup! Second from the top is the one ya want :nana:
Hexinverter Électronique

crochambeau
Common Wiggler

Post by crochambeau » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:30 am

Is the schematic in an easily shareable format? I've an ADC V-300 Video Color Processor that is the spitting image of the Archer, if you were to do away with the silver face.

tachyons+
Common Wiggler

Post by tachyons+ » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:23 am

Hex u rulez!

Ive had a few special requests to mod this Archer model
eye call The Saturnizer. Hears an example of what it looks like
with the mods done so far.
Theres definitely more that can be done...
Hope to see more of what others do with this. Cheers!

The Saturnizer:

Music video made using the Saturnizer:
[video]
[/video]

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:51 pm

i wonder how hard it would be to take a few of those boxes and do something ben heck style and merge the parts into one box

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:53 pm

i wonder how hard it would be to take a few of those boxes and do something ben heck style and merge the parts into one box
I'd imagine that would be pretty easy. you could have it prepatched, with the output of one going to the input of another if you wanted.

tachyons+
Common Wiggler

Post by tachyons+ » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:03 pm

That would be amazing to do. I'm wondering if Hex is trying to make this a module for modular video synthers>? I have ran my various Archer modded boxes together for a split second before having to ship them out and things get pretty interesting to say the least. :party:

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:12 pm

I may be making a module based on this, yes...there needs to be more video modules out there! It's gonna be awhile though. I have a lot to learn first.
Hexinverter Électronique

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:12 pm

crochambeau wrote:Is the schematic in an easily shareable format? I've an ADC V-300 Video Color Processor that is the spitting image of the Archer, if you were to do away with the silver face.
Eventually I will scan the schematic for everyone...for now it is a piece of paper though :P
Hexinverter Électronique

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:14 pm

barto wrote:i wonder how hard it would be to take a few of those boxes and do something ben heck style and merge the parts into one box
Stock...no problemo! But, modding all of them and sticking 'em in a box would be a big ordeal. It would be awesome though, and, more complicated things have been done before :tu:

Already, the panel wiring for this one is pretty nutty and I think what I am doing right now is fairly basic. :sadbanana:
Hexinverter Électronique

tachyons+
Common Wiggler

Post by tachyons+ » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:23 pm

The strangest part of this box to me is actually taking out the board. You literally have to take it out with brute force. The first time I did it thought the whole thing was going to break and fall apart. But they made it strong as hell. Not sure why it was designed to be wedged between the front and back metal panels like that. :hmm:

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:25 pm

tachyons+ wrote:The strangest part of this box to me is actually taking out the board. You literally have to take it out with brute force. The first time I did it thought the whole thing was going to break and fall apart. But they made it strong as hell. Not sure why it was designed to be wedged between the front and back metal panels like that. :hmm:
Haha, yup. I just experienced that. I am quite certain there is a piece of the puzzle we are missing. I can only guess that the case was formed around the board and not intended to be removed, or something like that.
Hexinverter Électronique

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:31 pm

tachyons+ wrote: Music video made using the Saturnizer:
[video]
[/video]
I really like that! Excellent music and interesting vid! :love:

hexinverter

Post by hexinverter » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
I really like that! Excellent music and interesting vid! :love:
Yeah! Logan does some awesome stuff...he was one of my main inspirations to get into this stuff :yay:
Hexinverter Électronique

Return to “Video Synthesis”