Vectrex Monitor Modification

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe., daverj

sync24
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sync24 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:39 pm

arcane device wrote:
sync24 wrote:ooh, a few posts - i'd better catch up!

Thinking about the following for X and Y control - the Manhattan Analog MVP looks like it would be really useful in place of the CVTools or Cascade.
2 x CVP would also be interesting.
The Fonitronik mh01 could be the one, i think it does what the CVTools does by cascading the mix down, so you could scale a signal and then modulate its position (same as with the Cascade, too).
The WMD/SSD S.P.O. looks interesting, too, but you'd need two.
Offsetting offsets is fun.
You should be ok with a Maths or ALM Pip Slope to control the Z in a basic set up.
Thanks for the reply sync24! Hmm, I don't see why two SPOs would be necessary, since there are two channels and each scales/polarizes and then offsets? Anyway, I have ordered one and also an Intellijel Triatt which has three channels. Though it can't scale and offset simultaneously, along with the SPO there's your "offsetting offsets" as well as a spare channel to simply throw a voltage at Z. Cheaper than a single CV Tools and much less space (I have a depth limit.)
no problemo :)

Re the SPO - ah, i see, I've had another look now, yes, one would do fine, you are right.
So with what you have ordered you've enough to offset offsets :tu:
Out of interest, what oscillators are you planning on using?

Cheers!

arcane device
Learning to Wiggle

Post by arcane device » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:00 pm

sync24 wrote:
arcane device wrote:Re the SPO - ah, i see, I've had another look now, yes, one would do fine, you are right.

Cheers!
For years I've done Feedback Music with delays feeding each other and themselves (pulsewidth.com). Right now I have 2 Echphons with bunches of CV modulating LFOs, using a Doepfer matrix mixer and Eventide PitchFactor. But also working up a layout with 2 Morphing Terrariums followed by 2 wavefolders, pretty nice on 'scope.

Thanks for all your info!

sync24
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sync24 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:23 pm

arcane device wrote:
sync24 wrote:
arcane device wrote:Re the SPO - ah, i see, I've had another look now, yes, one would do fine, you are right.

Cheers!
For years I've done Feedback Music with delays feeding each other and themselves (pulsewidth.com). Right now I have 2 Echphons with bunches of CV modulating LFOs, using a Doepfer matrix mixer and Eventide PitchFactor. But also working up a layout with 2 Morphing Terrariums followed by 2 wavefolders, pretty nice on 'scope.

Thanks for all your info!
interesting :)
please keep this thread up to date with your progress :tu:

nathanxl
Pickup Truck Full of Forty Minutes

Post by nathanxl » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:04 am

Ive started experimenting with Vector Rescanning a live video feed through my Vectrex.
[video][/video]
A few things are still confusing me but initial patching looks promising.
https://nathanjohnthompson.wordpress.com
"The risk of reverse engineering is that we come to imagine that the only things worth knowing about products are the technical details hidden behind the curtain. I argue that the cultural lives and imaginations of the people behind the curtain are as important, if not more, for understanding how these systems come to exist and function as they do."

sync24
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sync24 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:19 pm

nathanxl wrote:Ive started experimenting with Vector Rescanning a live video feed through my Vectrex.
[video][/video]
Yes!

johyde
Common Wiggler

Post by johyde » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:19 am

sync24 wrote:Hi Jo!!
yeah, it was an interesting process...
went through everything but kept it all in a standard Vectrex - not really interested in making a mini Asteroids machine!! ;-)
Blew a few chips and resistors - at one point things got pretty hot... some of the wiring explanation confused me.
All in all, it was pretty hairy digging in and pulling bits out of the machine itself.
I was more chuffed it all still worked when I switched it back on - though it still keeps blowing the internal fuse!
10/10 for effort! But not really worth it, you reckoned? Has it opened up any significant creative possibilities? I think it's a bit too ninja-level for me anyway, but I'm always interested in ways the Vectrex can be pushed. Cheers!

johyde
Common Wiggler

Post by johyde » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:20 am

nathanxl wrote:Ive started experimenting with Vector Rescanning a live video feed through my Vectrex.
[video][/video]
Great stuff!

sync24
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sync24 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:33 pm

johyde wrote:
sync24 wrote:Hi Jo!!
yeah, it was an interesting process...
went through everything but kept it all in a standard Vectrex - not really interested in making a mini Asteroids machine!! ;-)
Blew a few chips and resistors - at one point things got pretty hot... some of the wiring explanation confused me.
All in all, it was pretty hairy digging in and pulling bits out of the machine itself.
I was more chuffed it all still worked when I switched it back on - though it still keeps blowing the internal fuse!
10/10 for effort! But not really worth it, you reckoned? Has it opened up any significant creative possibilities? I think it's a bit too ninja-level for me anyway, but I'm always interested in ways the Vectrex can be pushed. Cheers!
cheers Jo, no, I wouldn't say so at the moment, maybe some lower frequency stuff, but not by much, and nothing that I found all that exciting, and the worst side of it was the expense of full screen coverage.
I didn't feel all that 'ninja' when smoke was coming out of a £5 op amp ;)

johyde
Common Wiggler

Post by johyde » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:45 pm

sync24 wrote: cheers Jo, no, I wouldn't say so at the moment, maybe some lower frequency stuff, but not by much, and nothing that I found all that exciting, and the worst side of it was the expense of full screen coverage.
I didn't feel all that 'ninja' when smoke was coming out of a £5 op amp ;)
:woah: yeah, I think you've successfully put me off!

arcane device
Learning to Wiggle

Vectrex levels

Post by arcane device » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:58 pm

Just getting into my Vectrex. Thanks to all for the help! Right now my concern is this - I’m using it to follow my live playing, and when audio levels vary I get a lot of abrupt dropping down/overloading of the display, even when the levels don’t seem to change that much. Any solution? Is there an adjustment possible somewhere? This is very different from an oscilloscope, which accurately displays varying levels. Right?

sync24
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Vectrex levels

Post by sync24 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:13 am

arcane device wrote:Just getting into my Vectrex. Thanks to all for the help! Right now my concern is this - I’m using it to follow my live playing, and when audio levels vary I get a lot of abrupt dropping down/overloading of the display, even when the levels don’t seem to change that much. Any solution? Is there an adjustment possible somewhere? This is very different from an oscilloscope, which accurately displays varying levels. Right?
I haven't found a solution other than to work within the boundaries of the Vectrex.... and these boundaries can be quite unpredictable.
I think part of the game with this is to keep the Vectrex beam itself oscillating!

arcane device
Learning to Wiggle

1st Vectrex

Post by arcane device » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:26 pm

First outing for the Vectrex and Feedback Music. Typical Vectrex level jumping (a fix please?!) and my camcorder likes to randomly blur stuff for some unknown reason (not the display!), but whatever...

Ya-Neck
Common Wiggler

Post by Ya-Neck » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:33 am

Woohoo! just ordered mine and the components! Can't wait to see that thing in action! :hyper:

thebrotherspus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thebrotherspus » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:55 am

Hey everyone!
I made another Vectrex video. In this one, I used a Marilyn Monroe clip as the source material and then further processed it with audio rate and video rate modulations. I chose to use her image because it is so recognizable that you can often spot it throughout the video even with very extreme modulations going on.
Hope you enjoy!

[video][/video]
Link in case video embed doesn't show up: http://youtu.be/peuohvrIKms

gzifcak
Common Wiggler

Post by gzifcak » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:09 pm

nice!
WTB: LZX 8-Stage Video Quantizer

gzifcak
Common Wiggler

Post by gzifcak » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:12 pm

do you mind sharing patch details? i'm curious to learn more about how to make those 3d looking shapes.
WTB: LZX 8-Stage Video Quantizer

arcane device
Learning to Wiggle

Post by arcane device » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:29 pm

thebrotherspus wrote:Hey everyone!
I made another Vectrex video. In this one, I used a Marilyn Monroe clip as the source material and then further processed it with audio rate and video rate modulations. I chose to use her image because it is so recognizable that you can often spot it throughout the video even with very extreme modulations going on.
Hope you enjoy!

[video][/video]
Really nice!

thebrotherspus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thebrotherspus » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:35 pm

gzifcak wrote:do you mind sharing patch details? i'm curious to learn more about how to make those 3d looking shapes.
Glad you enjoyed it.
I can't quite remember exactly how I patched those geometric shapes. I filmed the footage about a year ago and only just got around to compiling it.
Usually though, I start with 2 copies of the same voltage and then start to process each one separately in different ways, then input one to the X input and the other to the Y input on the Vectrex.
.... A lot of audio rate and video rate modulations seem to work best for me.... ringmods, phasing, mixing other related voltages together, amplitude modulation, etc...
Then I sometimes put another related voltage or sometimes completely unrelated voltage into the Z input to control the brightness.
....A whole ton of trial and error though. Probably at least half of what I do ends up just looking like visual noise and not that useful, but every now and then I stumble across some strange pattern that just looks beautiful. :tu:

thebrotherspus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thebrotherspus » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:43 pm

Thanks arcane device!

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:07 pm

thebrotherspus wrote:Hey everyone!
Hope you enjoy!

[video][/video]
How?!? How you have done that? Can you take photo of set up you've been using for this?

nathanxl

Post by nathanxl » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:26 am

Great work The brothers pus.
The VECTREX vector rescanning patch Ive been using uses a LZX VC and a BSO Triple Summing amp. Plus regular audio modules.
Its fantastic fun, especially with live video feeds like I posted my first patch earlier.
"The risk of reverse engineering is that we come to imagine that the only things worth knowing about products are the technical details hidden behind the curtain. I argue that the cultural lives and imaginations of the people behind the curtain are as important, if not more, for understanding how these systems come to exist and function as they do."

Ya-Neck
Common Wiggler

Post by Ya-Neck » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:55 pm

My first contribution. Sine and triangle going into Clouds. Then I'm wigglin!
Audio is just to hear what you see, no "musicalness" there.
[video][/video]

nathanxl

Post by nathanxl » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:30 am

Vectrex Rescanning Live Video feed from security camera.

soulglo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by soulglo » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:24 am

nathanxl
hi nathan, can you please please tell me how you did this vectrex rescanning video and what did you use. thanks philipp

nathanxl

Post by nathanxl » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:14 pm

[video][/video]
soulglo wrote:nathanxl
hi nathan, can you please please tell me how you did this vectrex rescanning video and what did you use. thanks philipp
Sorry Soulglo, the patch has been dismantled now.
Its best if you just play around yourself. I followed these threads closely:
viewtopic.php?t=29973&postdays=0&postor ... &start=225
viewtopic.php?t=94368&sid=2c82be4e09e7d ... b5a7a9ac1e
Its easier if you have an LZX Visual Cortex.

Return to “Video Synthesis”