Vectrex Monitor Modification

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe., daverj

krisamadhi
Common Wiggler

Post by krisamadhi » Sat May 26, 2018 1:06 am

Just got mine hooked up !
I have found the Shifting Inverting Signal Mingler by
4ms Company is great for scaling and centering !
Any more tips ?
Check out my Instagram

This is so fun !!!
---
Kri Samadhi
Releases
http://www.krisamadhi.com

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Sun May 27, 2018 1:36 pm

Is there anything else in the modern (digital?) world that can create images like the modified Vectrex or a modified CRT? If not, what is the limiting factor? Thanks..

Edit: well, I found this:
https://asdfg.me/osci/
not that great due to refresh rate.

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Sun May 27, 2018 8:34 pm

Hoping one of these comes across my way. This looks cool as hell.

ndstudio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ndstudio » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:04 pm

Anyone have a modded Vectrex for sell?? :despair: I really don't wanna blow myself up doing the mod... :deadbanana:

JPatts
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JPatts » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:07 pm

ndstudio

it's really not as hard as it sounds. I didn't have much soldering experience and it worked out for me, the conversion pdf is easy to follow. We could all give you pointers wherever you need them. Feel free to send me a pm if you need specific help with your conversion.

ndstudio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ndstudio » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:19 pm

JPatts wrote:ndstudio

It's really not as hard as it sounds. I didn't have much soldering experience and it worked out for me, the conversion pdf is easy to follow. We could all give you pointers wherever you need them. Feel free to send me a pm if you need specific help with your conversion.
I really appreciate the vote of confidence JPatts, I actually bought one off of eBay however, after telling the seller to package it extremely well it arrived busted with a huge crack right down the middle...

So, now I'm back at square one, waiting on the refund so I can wait weeks to buy another one... :doh:

Regarding the mod, I'm actually decent with soldering and etc. I just don't like the whole discharge part... So, I'm thinking it would be best if I take it to a TV repair guy in town and have him discharge it and then do the mod while I'm there. I think I can get away with no soldering by doing the jumper wire technique. Just gotta get an actual non-broken Vectrex first... :mad:

sync24
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sync24 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:34 pm

ndstudio wrote:
JPatts wrote:ndstudio

It's really not as hard as it sounds. I didn't have much soldering experience and it worked out for me, the conversion pdf is easy to follow. We could all give you pointers wherever you need them. Feel free to send me a pm if you need specific help with your conversion.
I really appreciate the vote of confidence JPatts, I actually bought one off of eBay however, after telling the seller to package it extremely well it arrived busted with a huge crack right down the middle...

So, now I'm back at square one, waiting on the refund so I can wait weeks to buy another one... :doh:

Regarding the mod, I'm actually decent with soldering and etc. I just don't like the whole discharge part... So, I'm thinking it would be best if I take it to a TV repair guy in town and have him discharge it and then do the mod while I'm there. I think I can get away with no soldering by doing the jumper wire technique. Just gotta get an actual non-broken Vectrex first... :mad:
sorry to hear you received a damaged 2nd hand unit, that's a shame the seller couldn't be bothered to pack it decently - that said, one I got a few years ago was just bouncing around in a DHL box... but it was fine.

Regarding discharging the tube, honestly it's not that scary - when you see people discharging TV CRT's there's a BIG spark, but my experience with the Vectrex is that it's pretty weedy.
In this vid there's not much of a spark when the guy discharges the tube, and he's poking about quite a bit with his screwdrivers.

Good luck with your ebay stuff, too - hope it all goes OK

ndstudio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ndstudio » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:05 pm

Thanks for the link! I'm looking forward to this and getting some visuals with my modular!

I wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience with the WK2 modules from LPZW? I'm looking to get two of these for the X and Y, they have two channels, 1 with just an Attenuverter and the other offset + Attenuverter + slew. The first channel can be fed into the 2nd channel adding modulation. I'm hoping to not take up too much space in my case and these are only 2hp!

My theoretical Patch:
Z: Ornaments and Crime ADSR cycle (for a looping envelope like maths)
X: Oscillator > WK2 ch2 offset/Attenuverter (with a modulator on ch1)
Y: Oscillator > WK2 ch2 offset/Attenuverter (with a modulator on ch1)

sync24
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sync24 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:18 pm

not used any LPZW but this WK2 looks like it should do what I was talking about however-many-posts-back: using CVTools or CASCADE to move and resize your oscillations.
It looks similar to the ALM o/a/x2, which also works.

ndstudio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ndstudio » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:28 pm

Great! yeah looks like a good candidate for sure!

Vcs3
Common Wiggler

Post by Vcs3 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:10 am

Aaargh! I hate my Vectrex so much right now! :deadbanana:

Somehow I'm only getting a diagonal line that wiggles a bit. I had to reconnect the Vectrex's wiring just to check that the monitor was ok. (It was, mine storm looks normal)

What am I doing wrong?!!=

Vcs3
Common Wiggler

Post by Vcs3 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:23 am

Soo, here’s a screenshot. I managed to fine tune the visual to see the waveform from a Piston Honda, a Doepfer LFO, through the Liivatera attenuvert Mixer. Works as expected... except:

The waveform is shown diagonally, and I cant get anything to show up in the lower left corner. It’s as if everything is tilted 45°? Any suggestions?

sync24
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sync24 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:43 am

dumb question cos it's early, i haven't had enough coffee yet, and I'm not sat in front of Vectrex right now:
can you flip the image to the other part of the screen if you swap the connections round - x/y to y/x?
If you were to send the same signal into x & y you'd get a diagonal line, so it should be that if you send the Piston Honda in to x, then the LFO in to y, you should get something filling more of the screen.
However, the LFO might be too low for the Vectrex, so try a different module - they would be out of phase so you should get something filling the screen more.
hope this is helpful - and don't hate your Vectrex ;-)

Vcs3
Common Wiggler

Post by Vcs3 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:35 am

sync24 wrote:dumb question cos it's early, i haven't had enough coffee yet, and I'm not sat in front of Vectrex right now:
can you flip the image to the other part of the screen if you swap the connections round - x/y to y/x?
If you were to send the same signal into x & y you'd get a diagonal line, so it should be that if you send the Piston Honda in to x, then the LFO in to y, you should get something filling more of the screen.
However, the LFO might be too low for the Vectrex, so try a different module - they would be out of phase so you should get something filling the screen more.
hope this is helpful - and don't hate your Vectrex ;-)
Thanks!
I did and discovered all sorts of weirdness. The Vectrex certainly doesn't behave as expected.

With everything disconnected I tried the following:
1) Single connection to Y. just connecting a sine wave, through the attenuverter offset mixer to Y results in a glowing dot without movement. I can move the dot around by adjusting the offset.
2) Dual connection Y and Z. When connecting X and Z the dot moves up and down according to the sine wave as one would expect.
3) Dual connection X and Z. As expected, the dot moves left and right according to the sine wave. HOWEVER, when adjusting offset, the dot veers off diagonally, instead of going straight it turns into a sharp corner (imagine a boomerang shape).
4) I will look into creating new leads - grounding issue? Monitor magnets? The Mine Storm game looks normal (the text is a little slanted). Gngngnghh!!

I'll try to summon the strength to do a video...

sync24
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sync24 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:43 pm

have you double checked your wiring from your jacks to the connectors on the board following my instructions?

single connection to Y sounds right, and you should be able to do the same with X.
Also, just sending an offset or output from your VCO to Z should just light up the dot, that's happening, right?

I don't know much about the Piston Honda, but can you tell if outputs A and B can be out of phase? maybe by looking at the little display? Whatever, they should be different, so A in to X and B in to Y should be interesting. Try it anyway and send your LFO in to the Z - you should get a wave form fading in and out.
Turn up and down the pitch and when you get too low you'll loose the image on the screen.
What other VCOs have you got to hand?

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:42 pm

Got a Vectrex today. Gonna be doing a mod soon, but not before I buy a good set of large screwdrivers to properly discharge the CRT.

What is the better method to discharge it? Two screwdrivers or an alligator clip and screwdriver?

The latter sounds safer to me, cause in the video above, the guy fumbled about and even touched the metal of the screwdriver at one point!

sync24
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sync24 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:11 am

Branko wrote:Got a Vectrex today. Gonna be doing a mod soon, but not before I buy a good set of large screwdrivers to properly discharge the CRT.

What is the better method to discharge it? Two screwdrivers or an alligator clip and screwdriver?

The latter sounds safer to me, cause in the video above, the guy fumbled about and even touched the metal of the screwdriver at one point!
two screwdrivers with big handles should be fine :)

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:49 am

Noted! I'm gonna wait a week to do anything. Best be safe. I need to order those PCB connectors anyway.

Thanks!

sync24
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sync24 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:33 pm

Branko wrote:Noted! I'm gonna wait a week to do anything. Best be safe. I need to order those PCB connectors anyway.

Thanks!
:tu:

JPatts
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JPatts » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:47 pm

https://www.instagram.com/teddavisdotorg/

http://teddavis.org/xyscope/

I've been seeing a lot of Vectrex work on Instagram that is really inspiring. I don't know these people but their work is incredible. I'm not sure how Ted Davis is doing his Vectrex work but I'm trying to find out, I'd love to be able to input text in my Vectrex unit. Anyone on this forum achieve anything similar?

I also found this Vector Hack Festival. I wish I could go but I'm in the states I asked if they were going to live stream any of the events or lectures and they said they'd like to make it happen but they aren't sure if they will have the man power.

https://www.instagram.com/vectorhackfestival/

Also this account has some beautiful Vectrex images:

https://www.instagram.com/swoonyj/

I'm making music with Eurorack and converted my own Vectrex console, I'm not sure if I can add photography to that list and still have time and money left over for anything, but I'm really loving the idea of getting crisp images of my Vectrex unit.

sync24
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sync24 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:27 am

Hi,
there's a lot of chit-chat on the Vector Synthesis evilbook group about this - dunno if you are on there.

Ted is using software to do his stuff, check out what he and Derek Holzer (http://macumbista.net/) are doing with PD and Processing - there's a library you can download.

There's a difference between an oscilloscope and a Vectrex - 'scopes have a much wider frequency range and that's key to certain types of imagery.

Derek has documented a further Vectrex mod, which I will probably incorporate in to my document whilst I'm at VectorHack, about getting rid of the 'spot killer' so the image doesn't die off - this helps with lower frequency 'drawing'.

And Swoonyj's work is lovely isn't it!!!
He's experimenting with all sorts of interesting lenses on his camera.

Keep an eye on the VectorHack stuff, hopefully there'll be some good documentation of it afterwards.

:hyper:

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:10 am

Success! Thank you for the clear instructions!

Works great with the Axoloti cymatics patch, I modified to work with the Axo Control.

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:05 pm

Has anyone messed with OsciStudio from https://oscilloscopemusic.com/ ?

I just tried it with the Vectrex and I was getting decent results. Gonna be a steep learning curve with Blender.

Just quickly took a shape from Blender and converted it into sound to test it out, then sampled it with my Deluge. Rough gif here:

Kruger
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kruger » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:15 am

Branko
Hi branko, I just asked friend to make me the mod of the vectrex i found here : http://www.zektor.com/zvg/downloads/vectrex.pdf
but it did'nt worked. We just didn't read correctly the beginning actually i think : "The ZVG can be connected to a Vectrex without any permanent
changes to the Vectrex"

How did you manage to make it work ? If i understand it right I need a svg to connect my modular to the vectrex ? I actually don't know what it is, where to find it or how to build it.

Can you help ? txs a lot

Kruger
Learning to Wiggle

If anyone have clues to make it work, i'll take it.

Post by Kruger » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:24 am

Is there an eurorack module that I could use to interface cv with the modified vectrex ?

Return to “Video Synthesis”