Portable Case?

Discussion and support for Wiard Products

Moderators: Kent, grantrichter, carygrace

howard.music
Learning to Wiggle

Portable Case?

Post by howard.music » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:51 am

I posted on the pick six, but the more I think about, the more I am inclined go with the eight - it is impossible for me to pick the two outcasts!

If I go this route, I would be looking for a lightweight but sturdy case with cover, kind of like those portable euro-rack cases, that would house all eight and a power supply. Does anyone here know of somebody who might be able to make such a case?

mbleming
Common Wiggler

Re: Portable Case?

Post by mbleming » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:04 pm

Are you located within the US? I had a case made at https://www.nice-racks.com/
David worked with me to build exactly what I wanted...the price was not outrageous either.

howard.music
Learning to Wiggle

Post by howard.music » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:22 pm

Thanks! I was thinking of something portable - lightweight, with a cover and a handle. Those look nice though! I’m in Japan, so shipping is going to be a bummer. I think I’ll have no choice but to pay for it if I find a good solution somewhere. Thanks for the suggestion!

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:37 pm

I have 4 Doepfer P6 cases. I know they are not that cheap compared to many others, but they are really nice. They are light but sturdy (I still wouldn't check them into baggage), and they stack really nicely. The new PSU3 supplies have plenty of oomph. My only gripe about them is that the new ones stopped putting the power inlet on the front, which I prefer.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

howard.music
Learning to Wiggle

Post by howard.music » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:33 pm

I should have been more clear - I’m looking for someone to help make a portable case for eight Series 300 modules. I am not sure that the Doepfer cases can fit the 300 series modules since they are pretty deep. Thanks though!

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:25 am

howard.music wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:33 pm
I should have been more clear - I’m looking for someone to help make a portable case for eight Series 300 modules. I am not sure that the Doepfer cases can fit the 300 series modules since they are pretty deep. Thanks though!
HA! Thats what I get for not looking at the forum the post are coming from!
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

howard.music
Learning to Wiggle

Post by howard.music » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:09 am

Ah, no problem - and apologies if my email seemed rude - I didn’t intend it to be! But thanks for the recommendation if I ever venture off to Eurorack!

johnnywoods
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by johnnywoods » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:16 pm

I'm not sure how actually portable such a case could be. Depending on what you're using for power, you're looking at a case that is at least 24x11x15. Maybe you could put roller wheels on it? The depth really makes a huge difference compared to what these Euro kids can get away with.
Another option to look into would be just building a wooden cabinet for it, and then finding an appropriate size hard case for it, like a Pelican. Either way, you're gonna need something very custom. If you can find someone near you who is already making Eurorack cases, that might be the best place to start.

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:01 pm

I built mine out of wood, NOT portable, came out to 27" wide x 12" deep, and i had to make custom right-angle DIN power connectors at that.

Roadcases USA recently did a custom case build for me (nor for the wiard, but large). It was not as expensive as I'd thought it would be, i would recommend them - www.roadcasesusa.com.
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

howard.music
Learning to Wiggle

Post by howard.music » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:13 am

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, seems like a pretty big case, but the length will probably be only slightly longer than a 104 hp case, and the height also pretty close. But, yes the depth will be a big difference. Maybe it is manageable? For power, I’m using a single PS500 to power all eight - seems to be ok all these years now, surprisingly. I’m working with someone on a design at the moment, which seems promising. I’ll give an update later when this gets closer to being realized. Thanks again for your inputs!

Return to “Wiard”