pinging filters... can I do with Borgs and Woggles?

Discussion and support for Wiard Products

Moderators: Kent, carygrace, grantrichter

Post Reply
thesnow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:40 pm

pinging filters... can I do with Borgs and Woggles?

Post by thesnow » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:17 pm

Admitting I'm not sure yet exactly what pinging the filters means...

Not sure what or how to accomplish this...

I had to sell my Waveform City last year, but am trying to get a hold of another one.

Is this something I can do with the Borg Filters and Woggle Bug?

Appreciate all guidance, explanations, demos and help

thesnow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Post by thesnow » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:55 pm

Wiardos don't be pingin'?

User avatar
plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler
Posts: 1832
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:52 am
Location: Charlotte, VT

Post by plord » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:32 pm

Yes, you should be able to do this. The Ring mod outputs make a good audio source; run one to each Borg input. For more fun, crossmod the two sides of the Bug with each other, maybe smooth CV out on one side to rate on the other, woggle to disturb, whatever. Then use one side of the bug as the spike source->mod input for each side of the Borg, via the LFO out or the Step CV out for some variation. Borgs set as LPG (no resonance), adjust mod depth to taste. It should bongo away at you quite nicely.

thesnow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Post by thesnow » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:36 pm

plord wrote:Yes, you should be able to do this. The Ring mod outputs make a good audio source; run one to each Borg input. For more fun, crossmod the two sides of the Bug with each other, maybe smooth CV out on one side to rate on the other, woggle to disturb, whatever. Then use one side of the bug as the spike source->mod input for each side of the Borg, via the LFO out or the Step CV out for some variation. Borgs set as LPG (no resonance), adjust mod depth to taste. It should bongo away at you quite nicely.
Thank you so much! I will try this!

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4002
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:58 pm
Location: uk

Post by slow_riot » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:01 pm


thesnow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Post by thesnow » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:10 pm

ah, ryan's website.

so this is an example of pinging the filter? still not entirely sure what that actually means

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4002
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:58 pm
Location: uk

Post by slow_riot » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:25 pm

That patch is an example of "pinging", which involves putting an LFO signal such as a skinny pulse, Woggle Bug SQR output, or Borg Saw wave into the audio in of a filter with high resonance.

Don't try it in low pass mode on a PA system tailored for dance music with about 4 20" bass cabinets.

thesnow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Post by thesnow » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:10 pm

slow_riot wrote:That patch is an example of "pinging", which involves putting an LFO signal such as a skinny pulse, Woggle Bug SQR output, or Borg Saw wave into the audio in of a filter with high resonance.

Don't try it in low pass mode on a PA system tailored for dance music with about 4 20" bass cabinets.
Haha, nice! I've done this before! Just wasn't aware this was called pinging, but I get it! Thanks for the explanation

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4002
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:58 pm
Location: uk

Post by slow_riot » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Yeah I was confused too, I originally thought it was putting something into the CV input.

Using an LFO isn't the only way to do it on a 300 system BTW, the technique that Plord mentioned is really interesting, and you can also use the Woggle CV out... anything that pushes the resonance on a filter.

The Mixolator can take this further (non technical explanation.. bunch of cables in and out, who knows where and why), and you can also modulate the LFO signal to change between sub audio and audio rates.

thesnow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Post by thesnow » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:12 pm

slow_riot wrote:Yeah I was confused too, I originally thought it was putting something into the CV input.

Using an LFO isn't the only way to do it on a 300 system BTW, the technique that Plord mentioned is really interesting, and you can also use the Woggle CV out... anything that pushes the resonance on a filter.

The Mixolator can take this further (non technical explanation.. bunch of cables in and out, who knows where and why), and you can also modulate the LFO signal to change between sub audio and audio rates.
Interesting. Let me clear something up though. You meant an lfo going through a filter with high resonance then striking a low pass gate?

or did you mean an lfo striking a filter with high resonance?

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4002
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:58 pm
Location: uk

Post by slow_riot » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:36 pm

Basic idea is just LFO to audio input on filter, but also using an LPG afterwards might be worth looking into.

thesnow
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Post by thesnow » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:40 pm

slow_riot wrote:Basic idea is just LFO to audio input on filter, but also using an LPG afterwards might be worth looking into.
nice.

thanks guys. fun times :tu:

User avatar
J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6677
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:46 pm
Location: Seattle

Post by J3RK » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:07 pm

Since we're talking about Borgs here, which are more or less LPGs using an MS-20 topology, you can "ping" them in the same way you would any other filter or LPG. If you want just the sound of the filter/LPG, you can just send a sharp transient (saw at low frequency, fast attack/decay EG, trigger pulse, etc.) into the signal input of the borg, add a bit of resonance, and even tweak the cutoff slightly to vary the trailing ring. (so, just like you would on any other resonant filter for a similar effect)

If you want to bongo it a bit, you can modulate the CV input at audio rates like you would FM a filter while doing this. You should get some nice percussive sounds.

The other thing you can do is run a waveform (even FMed) into the signal input, and just hit the CV input with a short trigger (or any of the above fast pulses, envelopes, saws, etc.) Then vary the cutoff slightly via knob until you get a ping. This isn't much different than just using an envelope to control it as normal really, but basically you're pinging/activating it quickly with the pulse, and then letting the vactrol's decay create the ring/envelope instead of an actual envelope. The higher the cutoff/offset the more of a ring you should get, until it's just too far open to make much of a difference. (higher knob settings)

Intrigued by plord's idea. I don't have a 300 system at my disposal but will try to replicate it.

Many of the newer LPGs seem to have a separate ping/strike/whatever input to do this stuff. This is just a guess, but I'd think it would be just another signal input, but maybe with a trigger conditioning circuit on the input (little RC network like a gate to trigger or the like) that shortens the pulse of what you run into it. Not sure if they work that way, but it seems logical.
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

Post Reply

Return to “Wiard”