New modules in 6U format

Discussion and support for Wiard Products

Moderators: Kent, carygrace, grantrichter

Post Reply
User avatar
jdkee
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:25 pm
Location: Chicago

New modules in 6U format

Post by jdkee » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:56 pm

Just curious for the forum. What would you like to see in a 6U/ Wiard style layout that is not available to date?

With the explosion of module types in Euro, it seems that some of the concepts could be adapted to 6U. Modules that follow a no menu-diving WYSIWYG layout given the larger panel space. Modules that complement and expand upon the current 300 series design.

Personally, I was thinking about a (relatively) low-fi sampler module, something that utilized 12 to 14 bit sampling with an analog filter ala the SP-1200 (which was 12 bit). It could be a double wide module like the Cyndustries Dual Zero to allow for sliders along with pots.

Thoughts?

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4002
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:58 pm
Location: uk

Post by slow_riot » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:21 am

It's definitely a sticking point for the format and something that concerns me. Without development a niche format is on shaky ground. As a counterpoint however, part of the success of Wiard thus far can be attributed to high standards of excellence. Grant's vision was up there with only a handful of others, that many designers can only ever hope to imitate. Similarly, modern improvements such as bantam jacks are not necessarily something that lends itself towards some of the design freedoms that accompany a format with no barriers to entry (do I get a prize for diplomacy for how I phrased that?!)

I'm personally giving all my available time to module development, but it takes so long to do it right. BTW I don't have any other full or part time work and I have given up several hobbies to do this.

One of the issues with going the "modern" route of high powered DSP on a chip, is that to do it in such a way that suits the perfectionist nature of the format, the power supply really needs to be +/-15V, 5V with excellent power distribution. Lots of these modules pull 250mA straight from +ve and dump all of it onto 0V. A well designed analogue module can pull +/-250mA and need only route a few % of the total draw onto the 0V.

The new use of balancing does make high quality standalone rack mount machines like Eventide a natural companion to the format.

I think it would potentially help the format to encourage DIY experimentation, but I don''t think there's anything stopping anyone from trying! If there's something you really want get experimenting! A generous friend is donating me an Axoloti programmable DSP with analogue I/O.

User avatar
chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:24 am
Location: UK

Post by chamomileshark » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:49 am

I think P Lord had a bunch of modules built into the Wiard format.

From my perspective I quite like contained units - Grant had a particular design in mind for the 300 and I like that. My frac was sort of designed by me and I changed direction half way through and that's nothing like as satisfying.

if i do need something that's not in the 300 i get it from the Frac - usually it's a utility or a Wiard frac ..but even then i wouldn't particularly want the 1200 series in 300 format.
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Website: https://markellerygriffithsmusic.blogspot.com/


Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Website:https://markdaltongriffithsmusic.blogspot.com/

User avatar
johnnywoods
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1251
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:10 pm
Location: Santa Fe

Post by johnnywoods » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:01 am

I'd love to see more gate/logic utilities. But, my favorite thing about the 300 series is the unified aesthetic. I have a wiard-format Chaquo, but want to replace it because the different placement of knobs and jacks upsets me. I know that might sound kind of silly, but the consistent look and feel of the modules is one of the things that drew me to the format.

User avatar
laserpalace
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1112
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:51 pm
Contact:

Post by laserpalace » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:25 pm

I really liked pairing the 300 with some of the mutable modules. Seems like the one territory you can't cover with the Wiard is granular/sample based synthesis. Also digital modal is lacking but not entirely missing with the Waveform City. Something like a dual clouds would be fantastic, or maybe an elements + clouds.
I'd love to see more gate/logic utilities. But, my favorite thing about the 300 series is the unified aesthetic
+1 on this. I always favored the ergonomics and aesthetic of the 300 series > anything else. It's well designed. Also just a note, and you probably already know this but there's a decent amount of logic you can pull from the mixmod on the envelators with different patching scenarios. Also some bizarre stuff in the low mode on the Waveform City. But yeah a dedicated logic module would be amazing.

User avatar
chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:24 am
Location: UK

Post by chamomileshark » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:24 am

laserpalace wrote: Also just a note, and you probably already know this but there's a decent amount of logic you can pull from the mixmod on the envelators with different patching scenarios. Also some bizarre stuff in the low mode on the Waveform City. But yeah a dedicated logic module would be amazing.
Care to expand on that? I think Grant says that the mixolator is one of the more complex modules but there isn't too much in the manual other than panning, VCA and "ring mod".

Re waveform city I assume you mean the LFO / sequence shapes you can get out of it?
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Website: https://markellerygriffithsmusic.blogspot.com/


Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Website:https://markdaltongriffithsmusic.blogspot.com/

drumsofd00m
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Post by drumsofd00m » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:58 pm

chamomileshark wrote:
laserpalace wrote: Also just a note, and you probably already know this but there's a decent amount of logic you can pull from the mixmod on the envelators with different patching scenarios. Also some bizarre stuff in the low mode on the Waveform City. But yeah a dedicated logic module would be amazing.
Care to expand on that? I think Grant says that the mixolator is one of the more complex modules but there isn't too much in the manual other than panning, VCA and "ring mod".

Re waveform city I assume you mean the LFO / sequence shapes you can get out of it?

Re: logic & similar...

WFC: window comparator
Sequantizer: eight level CV-to-gate converter/ multiplexer (like SSL V-Gates)
Mixolator: much more powerful than first glance once sections are cross-patched...

Just what pops up in my mind first - lots more "esoteric" applications in there

User avatar
thee ghost ov n_phay
Common Wiggler
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:59 am

Post by thee ghost ov n_phay » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:25 am

IT isn't too difficult to make panels for Wiard 300-style modules, using front panel designer, if you measure (IMPERIAL measurements! Not metric.) one of the existing modules with a steel ruler, it's fairly obvious where the LED holes, pot holes and socket holes go, and if you take care, the format is adaptable, IE you don't actually HAVE to have 8 x LED, 10 x pot, 2 x switch, 20x socket, you can shift stuff around a bit and still have a module that looks OK racked alogside the "genuine article" The pics are of panels I made for the Fonic VC pattern sequencer and JH's interpolating scanner. As you can see, I fukced up the scanner, I made the holes for the LEDs a bit low, oh well. I also built it wrong too, it doesn't work! Need to debug it but somewhat lacking in time what with working away a lot.


Image


Image

User avatar
thee ghost ov n_phay
Common Wiggler
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:59 am

Post by thee ghost ov n_phay » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:29 am

^great run-on, multi-comma sentence of our time there :-/

User avatar
thee ghost ov n_phay
Common Wiggler
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:59 am

Post by thee ghost ov n_phay » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:36 am

Here is a template for a wiard-style panel in fpd format. I'm not 100% sure that the LEDs are at trhe right height, so check if you're going to use it as a basis etc:
Attachments
wiard template.fpd
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

User avatar
DomMorley
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1167
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:27 pm
Location: UK

Post by DomMorley » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:28 am

I've been thinking lately that a dual spring reverb and a Chronoblob delay adapted from Euro would make up a nice Wiard format module...
How I fill my days: www.dommorley.com

"Your head will collapse, but there's nothing in it..."

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4002
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:58 pm
Location: uk

Post by slow_riot » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:45 pm

DomMorley wrote:I've been thinking lately that a dual spring reverb and a Chronoblob delay adapted from Euro would make up a nice Wiard format module...
I've been thinking a lot about amplifiers and recovery circuits which are most of the battle with a spring reverb. The 6U format would be especially suitable because of the shielded enclosures. Could do a couple of enclosures with mumetal (like good transformers) if the extra cost can be justified by the higher performance (aluminium shielding does next to nothing at low frequencies), and the user understands not to knock the panel or it will need to be re-annealed.

THAT2180 VCA/LPGs with sine shapers/wavefolders first. tempo syncable LFO with fluid flow computer (AKA Navier Stokes equation) after.

I need a holiday.

User avatar
Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:56 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Illwiggle » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:58 am

Id totally spring for a 300 series dual delay, esp if it were a tap delay, and if it could be ran in parallel and series. BBD or digi, I think itd be an awesome addition.

User avatar
jdkee
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:25 pm
Location: Chicago

Post by jdkee » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:10 am

Agreed. A spring reverb would fit the case and a BBD delay would be a nice side-by-side contained within the module in 300 format.

User avatar
mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine
Posts: 1560
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:23 pm

Re:

Post by mome rath » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:32 pm

thee ghost ov n_phay wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:25 am
IT isn't too difficult to make panels for Wiard 300-style modules, using front panel designer, if you measure (IMPERIAL measurements! Not metric.) one of the existing modules with a steel ruler, it's fairly obvious where the LED holes, pot holes and socket holes go, and if you take care, the format is adaptable, IE you don't actually HAVE to have 8 x LED, 10 x pot, 2 x switch, 20x socket, you can shift stuff around a bit and still have a module that looks OK racked alogside the "genuine article" The pics are of panels I made for the Fonic VC pattern sequencer and JH's interpolating scanner. As you can see, I fukced up the scanner, I made the holes for the LEDs a bit low, oh well. I also built it wrong too, it doesn't work! Need to debug it but somewhat lacking in time what with working away a lot.

late to the party here, but if you scan a panel and import that image into illustrator, you can overlay holes for knobs, pots, LEDs, etc

that's how I made my sympleseq acrylic panels.. since I was using a laser cutter I didn't need to go any further than Illustrator, so importing to FPE might be a different story


Image
Image
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

User avatar
thee ghost ov n_phay
Common Wiggler
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:59 am

Re: New modules in 6U format

Post by thee ghost ov n_phay » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:17 am

That panel looks great man!

User avatar
mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine
Posts: 1560
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:23 pm

Re: New modules in 6U format

Post by mome rath » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:58 am

thee ghost ov n_phay wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:17 am
That panel looks great man!
thank you, i miss my laser cutter dearly :cry:
Image
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

Post Reply

Return to “Wiard”