New for 2013: The 311C Dual JAG Controller!

Discussion and support for Wiard Products

Moderators: Kent, grantrichter, carygrace

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:08 am

sounds great and looks lovely! Mark
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

mirri
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mirri » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:18 am

Wow! Just wow!

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:33 am

I'm possibly the only person who prefers the more straightforward black 1200series look?

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:16 am

nah, i always preferred black 1200 series too.

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:50 am

Is this a standalone unit in a closed case or does it need a case/cabinet and power supply?
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

carygrace
If I had two dead rats, I'd give you one

Post by carygrace » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:01 pm

sonicwarrior wrote:Is this a standalone unit in a closed case or does it need a case/cabinet and power supply?
As with the earlier Wiard controllers, there isn't a backing box/enclosure, to keep the depth to an absolute minimum for those wanting to mount it in custom cases, but it will also mount in any 19" 2U rack space.

It requires +/-15V, same as the rest of the 300 Series, which connects via a right-angle (flat) mounted Molex KK header on the underside.

xpando
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xpando » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:59 pm

any chance banana jacks will be offered in any way? this new controller would also be great to use with other systems/formats such as Serge and Bugbrand/frac which also often use the 19" enclosures.

since you guys have supported banana jacks on previous controllers it'd be great to see it offered as an option on this.
WTB:
Bugbrand (banana) - SYN2C, CTL2, ENV1
XROM (for the XBase09)

carygrace

Post by carygrace » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:07 pm

xpando wrote:any chance banana jacks will be offered in any way?
No, sorry.
xpando wrote:since you guys have supported banana jacks on previous controllers it'd be great to see it offered as an option on this.
The original voltmeter/joysticks controller (not JAG) had some multi-format mults with banana, 1/4", and RCA. Is this what you are referring to? As I have used all the available space with new features, there was no room to include mults or adapters on the controller itself, but one could easily make up a 19" panel with format conversion to use with any system, or use adapter cables.

a scanner darkly

Post by a scanner darkly » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:14 pm

I do prefer the black 310 (I might be biased a little since I will be getting one soon :-) but this looks stunning, great work Cary!

And hoping this will lead to more ideas on how to use it in different ways now that more people will have them. Quadrature LFO is a great addition, that's one of the things I'm planning to try first. I don't have a 300 system, will be mostly using it with Euro, it should make for very interesting pairings with ADDAC Filterbank, VCA Matrix and Modcan Quad LFO...

For interfacing with bananas I ordered a 1U minijack/banana Metalbox panel, will add up nicely to 3U.

drumsofd00m
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drumsofd00m » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:01 am

As great as the new module is (I'm especially fond of the quadrature oscs, which are new in Wiard land, and of the various gating modes - cool stuff), I'm looking for a 311B. Anyone want to get rid of theirs to help financing the new one? Get in touch!

drumsofd00m
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drumsofd00m » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:14 am

One thing I've always appreciated about Wiard instruments is that they motivate me to read up on subjects that are tangent to something in the modules. This time it's various aspects of Fresnel lenses like spatial control (of light itself or of other objects, whether it's in seafaring, holography, interior lighting, or aviation), and quadrature - both of which this module deals with as the top "layers"/ most accessible functions.

Many synthesizer modules are fairly two-dimensional. That's not a derogatory comment at all, it's enough for many musical applications to just have a) a signal source and b) certain paramaters for it, and assertively two-dimensional, graphic interfaces are the most quick ones to grasp for someone who's new to an instrument (Buchla 200 is probably a good example). Wiard modules always seem to have at least one more dimension.

Not sure if that makes sense outside my head/ to others. If not, on a more immediate level the sheer physical depth of the modules with their enclosures (as an outward expression of the designer's way of thinking, even if maybe initially it just seemed a pragmatic choice) and the flexibility to program them into very different, sometimes even opposing functions, might be indicative of what I mean.
But, to be more specific about the 311C:

Quadrature LFO outputs into JAG = circular panning --> cf. lighthouses --> cf. use of Fresnel lenses --> cf. this module with its quadrature LFOs. Full circle. ^^

(And yes, I am into producing "tonal" music more than self-running patches or mere theory/ philosophy. Back to patching now, and maybe someone can frame my shallow bit of WikiGoogle-based self-infotainment a bit more substantially.)

mcbinc
Common Wiggler

Re: New for 2013: The 311C Dual JAG Controller!

Post by mcbinc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:45 pm

Love the momentary pushbuttons, they're kind of inviting. Who manufactures these?

carygrace

Post by carygrace » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:34 pm

The panels have arrived.

This is how they look in normal light:

And here they are in UV light (blacklight):

All the white printing is done with a special UV reactive pigment which glows very brightly under UV lighting.

drumsofd00m
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drumsofd00m » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Cool! Nice to see this idea come true! Makes me imagine how an entire system would look this way... sort of like an aquarium (colored patchcords given), or a star-spattered sky.

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:38 am

beautiful, love the bevelled edges on the joystick surrounds too! very professional, fantastic design.

any price on these yet cary?

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:08 am

http://www.wiard.com/stocklist.htm

"Model 311C Dual JAG Controller — £775.00 (GBP)
Shipping soon."
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:26 am

cheers, very reasonable for what you get (8 modules), and the obviously very high build quality.

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:34 am

yeah, it's a very good price i'd say.
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:31 pm

This looks wonderful!

Back to the banana question - I understand you cannot ship it with banans. But how are the jacks done? Can it be bananafied by the user? All my system is bananafrac, including a large number of Wiard 1200 series and other Wiard-related stuff (wogglebug, miniwaves etc). It would be wonderful to incorporate this new-new controller, too. So - are the jacks panel-mount or pcb-mount? Space enough to swap them for bananas?

/Palle
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:33 pm

I sympathise completely with the choice to focus singularly on the format... that's what makes the W300 special. With music itself and with music interfaces, you can't change one thing without this change impacting other areas.

Strive for perfection and never compromise. There's a reason I sold all my gear apart from my 300 series, and that is not down to one module.

carygrace

Post by carygrace » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:12 pm

otoskope wrote:This looks wonderful!

Back to the banana question - I understand you cannot ship it with banans. But how are the jacks done? Can it be bananafied by the user? All my system is bananafrac, including a large number of Wiard 1200 series and other Wiard-related stuff (wogglebug, miniwaves etc). It would be wonderful to incorporate this new-new controller, too. So - are the jacks panel-mount or pcb-mount? Space enough to swap them for bananas?

/Palle
The jack wiring is on a PCB, and the jacks are then attached to the panel with nuts, which also serves to hold the panel to the boards (similar construction to the 300 Series jack boards). The main board is underneath, and attaches to the jack board with pillars and fixed spacing interconnects. The LEDs and their resistors are on the top PCB with the jacks, so the depth is not adjustable, even if you did change the way the boards were supported. So, no, sorry, I don't think this would be possible.

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:27 am

Thanks Cary for taking the time to answer my question. It seems difficult, then. But you'd be surprised what people have done to bananafy modules, for example the 1200 series frac JAG - most things are possible to solve.

/Palle
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube

carygrace

Post by carygrace » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:14 pm

Just to update, since I have been receiving a lot of inquiries: the 311C Controllers are indeed shipping now. Currently there is approximately a 1-2 week delivery time on new orders.

Optional pre-made wiring assemblies for auxiliary panel mounting are also available for the LFO CV inputs (3.5mm or Bantam jacks) and gate mode set switching (toggle switches).

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:01 pm

Confirmed that they are shipping :)

Here's one in its natural habitat:

and here is the Frac ear I had fabbed to hold the LFO CV jacks and buton mode toggles. Cary made up the cables to spec and they are secured to the inside of the cabinet.

Audio/video to follow.

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:45 pm

very tasteful as usual Paul.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

Return to “Wiard”