I started an incomplete history of electronic music in the San Francisco Bay area

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Franck
Common Wiggler

I started an incomplete history of electronic music in the San Francisco Bay area

Post by Franck » Mon May 18, 2020 2:12 am

I was getting pieces of information there and then, so I finally decided to put it in a timeline.

So much happened here. I hope this is informational to you too.

https://www.peachymango.org/Electronic+ ... o+Bay+Area

If you have more info, links, feel free to mention it and I'll research it.

Thanks

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: I started an incomplete history of electronic music in the San Francisco Bay area

Post by KSS » Mon May 18, 2020 5:23 am

Good luck to you!

SMS, Salamander Music Systems is missing.

Dave Rossum's recent interview on Matrixsynth 051520 has useful details.

IanEye
Common Wiggler

Re: I started an incomplete history of electronic music in the San Francisco Bay area

Post by IanEye » Mon May 18, 2020 8:22 am

Franck wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:12 am
If you have more info, links, feel free to mention it and I'll research it.
two SF music labels:

Asphodel

Silent

Dilibob
Common Wiggler

Post by Dilibob » Mon May 18, 2020 9:29 am

I was involved with the Santa Rosa/Clara/Cruz tech circle. It was almost all branched off from the Fairchild physics click(i.e. some serious physicist were audiophiles ... the tube compressor is a good example) but that moved to digital focus by the mid 60's. I would say there was two sides of that, one the "analog" click and the other the 8-bit click. On the analog side you have the people that moved stuff into instruments (Alembic is a good example, and still around), on the digital side you had the "6502" click which you could think of as Apple and Amiga (that was santa clara/santa cruz). There's still a bunch of history on the amiga music side, but really I think a lot of that was from the 6502 groups that moved into the apple and then the 68000 that went into the mac. I bet Woz would still be pretty hip to that scene, though he was considered a "kid" at the time.

There was also the "distribution" click that connected into the buchla click in SF, Dolby is probably the best example of that (i.e. Suzanne is pretty fanatical on quad, and you can see that in the Dolby group ... which fully moved to SF by the late 70's). Also btw there were serious bands just stopping by these techie shops, there would be hard core techie digging out the back of some guitar to embed circuits into it and a rolls royce would roll up in the back. Also there was a serious "pedal" crowd, more small boxes that had TTL logic in them, that was a for sure fun crowd where there was a lot of one off boxes people made. Since big time musicians were involved, a lot of this was just custom and I don't think ever went to production.

The digital click moved mostly to Apple on the mac, I would think there would still be a lot of info on the mac support of the musicians (again some big names involved there, Woz would probably know who?). Unfortunately most of the core Fairchild types that really knew all this exactly are not around ;( Obviously the digital/cpu click that has evolved from the 6502 groups and now on intel does I'd say 99% of the music processing, so still a huge impact for in the box synthesizers and music.

scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by scottmoon » Mon May 18, 2020 9:48 am

You might want to check out the interview of Chris Muir by Darwin Grosse at
He was involved with SMS (Salamander Music Systems), Buchla, ZETA and Gibson after they acquired it, Thomas Dolby, and did his own design and manufacturing of his Eardrill line of Buchla modules.
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

Franck
Common Wiggler

Post by Franck » Mon May 18, 2020 12:17 pm

Thanks all for this info, much appreciated.

Forgot about Dolby who has offices on Market Street still. The computer crowd is also interesting too, I know LXRudis who made some music for some Atari games, Electric Kitchen who did the start sound for one of the Apple machines. More research needed.

Keep it coming.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Mon May 18, 2020 3:17 pm

You've got your early 70s Serge bit filed under 1980

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Mon May 18, 2020 3:59 pm

John Chowning creates the first digital FM synthesis algorithm at Stanford University in Palo Alto. He spends seven years perfecting and expanding it. In 1974 Stanford licenses the technology to Yamaha Corporation.
Anything to read or to watch about his story?

Franck
Common Wiggler

Post by Franck » Mon May 18, 2020 4:31 pm

synth.void wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:59 pm
John Chowning creates the first digital FM synthesis algorithm at Stanford University in Palo Alto. He spends seven years perfecting and expanding it. In 1974 Stanford licenses the technology to Yamaha Corporation.
Anything to read or to watch about his story?
Here is a good start: https://ccrma.stanford.edu/people/john-chowning

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon May 18, 2020 9:55 pm

Dave Rossum -and Marco Alpert- also covered Chowning a bit in the BeatBoyz interview I mentioned above.

ZenMusic
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ZenMusic » Fri May 22, 2020 1:54 pm

I was there, worked with Don Buchla and others..

Do you know this book?

The San Francisco Tape Music Center: 1960s Counterculture and the Avant-Garde Paperback – July 8, 2008
by David Bernstein

Don Buchla gave me the book and we read it together .. somewhere I wrote down many of his comments and expansions.

Franck
Common Wiggler

Post by Franck » Fri May 22, 2020 2:42 pm

ZenMusic wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:54 pm
I was there, worked with Don Buchla and others..

Do you know this book?

The San Francisco Tape Music Center: 1960s Counterculture and the Avant-Garde Paperback – July 8, 2008
by David Bernstein

Don Buchla gave me the book and we read it together .. somewhere I wrote down many of his comments and expansions.
I think someone mentioned it to me... Now I have a link, I guess I should read it.
You should do a blog about the comments, or I read it and we do a live to talk about it?

I know Joel, but I never met Don, came in the bay in late 2011.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat May 23, 2020 2:39 am

Franck wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:42 pm
You should do a blog about the comments, or AND I read it and we do a live to talk about it?
Fixed that. ;)

Franck
Common Wiggler

Post by Franck » Sat May 23, 2020 6:22 pm

KSS wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:39 am
Franck wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:42 pm
You should do a blog about the comments, or AND I read it and we do a live to talk about it?
Fixed that. ;)
Lol! I ordered it, Amazon did not have it digital... so it will take some time.

Dirty_Bill
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dirty_Bill » Sat May 23, 2020 6:33 pm

Franck wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:22 pm

(Nested Quotes Snipped)

Lol! I ordered it, Amazon did not have it digital... so it will take some time.
It's worth the read - and SURPRISE! Analog only! :)

Return to “Artist Discussion”