Autechre

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

xradii
Common Wiggler

Re: Autechre

Post by xradii » Mon May 04, 2020 4:38 am

Thanks @exper 👌 ...and he just posted 02-05-2020 too! ♥

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Mon May 04, 2020 9:51 am

Why do many people seem to not like Autechre, and similar electronic music?
None of my friends can stand to listen to it. I wish i could hear what they hear... i truly don't understand how you could not enjoy this music.

Similar for a lot of music by Aphex Twin and other artists that i like. Even for the academics like Stockhausen / Xenakis... My friends will have nothing to do with it, and they seem really reluctant to describe what they don't like about it, or discuss it at all. It's baffling to me...

This is especially concerning because they know that i really love electronic music more than anything else, and all but refuse to discuss it.

RecycleYourPets
Common Wiggler

Post by RecycleYourPets » Mon May 04, 2020 1:20 pm

inoshi wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:51 am
None of my friends can stand to listen to it. I wish i could hear what they hear... i truly don't understand how you could not enjoy this music.

Similar for a lot of music by Aphex Twin and other artists that i like. Even for the academics like Stockhausen / Xenakis... My friends will have nothing to do with it, and they seem really reluctant to describe what they don't like about it, or discuss it at all. It's baffling to me...

This is especially concerning because they know that i really love electronic music more than anything else, and all but refuse to discuss it.
Autechre is definitely on the extreme opposite end of the sonic spectrum from what a lot of people would find enjoyable. Especially I think a lot of their current output really needs you to have been listening over time to their catalog to have a good appreciation for it. Not everyone can hop right in and dance to an automated factory making gargling noises with no context :)
Schenk.work - instagram.com/schenk.work

xradii
Common Wiggler

Post by xradii » Tue May 05, 2020 2:44 pm

Twitch stream back up

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Tue May 05, 2020 3:39 pm

I've been following Autechre from Incunabula to Exai. I'm more into the slow/dark/highly-abstract-but-not-too-piercing side of Autechre. Confield is by far my favourite. But over the past few years, they have released so many albums, I can't catch up. Is there something in particular a Confield fan might appreciate? The NTS session seems to be quite impressive. I thought about Session 2. Any other suggestion?

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue May 05, 2020 3:56 pm

For a Confield fan, I’d say the later elseq EPs and the NTS sessions. Also, the newest live sets just released from 2016-2018 are really good for that dark heavy sound design stuff. But honestly there’s stuff of most albums you might like.
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Fri May 08, 2020 12:31 pm

[...]
Last edited by Scories on Fri May 15, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luupp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by luupp » Fri May 08, 2020 12:44 pm

inoshi wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:51 am

I was thinking about it as well, but I would guess it's because of what you get used it. If people didn't have such an open attitude towards things, not just music, but in general, like exploration, genres, etc. it becomes harder by age to accept new things. And it is especially true for artists like Autechre who really pushes the sonic boundary of what we percieve as ryhthmic, dynamic, melodic etc.

To put it simply, I think it's because they didn't get exposed to it early enough and having trouble keeping up now. Which is of course, not neccesserily a bad thing. If they don't like it, that's their thing, they don't have to. But to us, I assume it sounds as it is because we are used to it and enjoy it. Also, AE in particular, I consider them to be a pretty heavy listen. Takes a long time to grow on you and they don't really have this 3 minute radio hit approach. It's more for people imo who likes abstract and experimental things, which is not rare, but definitely more rare than those who don't.

Also there is that pretty common opinion still, that this is just "noise" and it's a 1 button computer music. Obviously coming from people who know nothing about making music, or just music in general...

Anyway, my 2 cents

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by beatcleaver » Thu May 14, 2020 11:32 am

I'm really enjoying this twitch stream from 10-05

There's a bunch of them on youtube, I've listened to a few on and off over the last few days. This one's my favourite so far:

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by beatcleaver » Fri May 15, 2020 9:34 am

...and the second half...

xradii
Common Wiggler

Post by xradii » Sat May 16, 2020 8:19 am

edit: ok, nevermind :lol:

Yes, glad they did those...especially seeing as that's the end of it for now. I am jamming 10-05-2020 #1 the most at the moment....glad I was able to catch these live as well. Fun! :party:

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:42 pm

There's an interesting sale on BLEEP right now. You can get 10 albums from the Warp catalogue for 35Euros/USD. So one could get NTS 1-4+ Elseq 1-5 + Exai for that price. It's a nice opportunity to discover Autechre's new material, or to catch up on Warp's back catalogue.
https://bleep.com/warp-home-listening-music-sale

IanEye
Common Wiggler

we are reduced price

Post by IanEye » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:11 am

Scories wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:42 pm
There's an interesting sale on BLEEP right now. You can get 10 albums from the Warp catalogue for 35Euros/USD.

It's a nice opportunity to discover Autechre's new material.
Hello!

Thank you for the heads up on this 10 album sale.
Perhaps ironically for this thread, the only Autechre album I bought was "Incunabula".

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:26 am

Wish they had more Autechre available on vinyl. I have all that they have in stock already. Still need:
Chiastic Slide
LP5
Untilted
Quaristice
Exai

And the only EPs I have are Peel 2, Gantz Graf and L-Event.
Current system:

Zerstorte Zelle
Common Wiggler

Post by Zerstorte Zelle » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:37 am

LP5 shredded me to bits the first time I heard it and still does to this day. Great disc.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:39 am

luupp wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:44 pm

I was thinking about it as well, but I would guess it's because of what you get used it. If people didn't have such an open attitude towards things, not just music, but in general, like exploration, genres, etc. it becomes harder by age to accept new things. And it is especially true for artists like Autechre who really pushes the sonic boundary of what we percieve as ryhthmic, dynamic, melodic etc.

To put it simply, I think it's because they didn't get exposed to it early enough and having trouble keeping up now. Which is of course, not neccesserily a bad thing. If they don't like it, that's their thing, they don't have to. But to us, I assume it sounds as it is because we are used to it and enjoy it. Also, AE in particular, I consider them to be a pretty heavy listen. Takes a long time to grow on you and they don't really have this 3 minute radio hit approach. It's more for people imo who likes abstract and experimental things, which is not rare, but definitely more rare than those who don't.

Also there is that pretty common opinion still, that this is just "noise" and it's a 1 button computer music. Obviously coming from people who know nothing about making music, or just music in general...

Anyway, my 2 cents
maybe you're right, but i introduced them to it around the same time that i was introduced to it (~18 y/o). i remember the autechre dudes saying in an interview that most people just don't really listen to things, and Stockhausen said (in the youtube lecture series) that to most people music is like 'furniture' for the mind, and people just use it to distract themselves from loneliness, boredom etc..
so maybe it's just a matter of how we perceive external stimuli. I'm easily overwhelmed by sight / sound / feelings where others don't seem to be. Not necessarily a good thing, i'm overly sensitive a lot of the time. but maybe it helps for appreciation of music... :despair:

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:40 am

Zerstorte Zelle wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:37 am
LP5 shredded me to bits the first time I heard it and still does to this day. Great disc.
:sb:
had an experienced listening to LP5 in an airport once, won't forget it.

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:51 pm

I can't stop listening to the NTS sessions right now. It's all good, but I have a sweet spot for #2. One thing I have noticed about this whole project: There are breakbeats elements in almost every track, but in many cases they're almost mixed as background sounds. These beats generally remains stady while everything else seems to move around. Most of those beats also have a muffled/12bit texture (like a sampled 606) and sounds fascinating when they clash with those gigantic waves of synthetic sounds.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:36 pm

@Stories

Have you heard the livesets yet? Incredible stuff, especially the newly released ‘16-‘18 ones. Amazing sound design and textures.
Current system:

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 pm

exper wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:36 pm
@Stories

Have you heard the livesets yet? Incredible stuff, especially the newly released ‘16-‘18 ones. Amazing sound design and textures.
I've started listening to the first seconds of Montréal show (the closest city in their livesets) and it seemed very promising.
But I've just bought the Elseq ... and I'm still very much into the NTS Sessions. Gotta try eventually. Any specific recommendation?

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:49 pm

Dublin and Helsinki are both really good from the newer ones. And I'm partial to the Ashville and Philadelphia (probably because I was there) sets in the '15 ones.
Current system:

L13
Common Wiggler

Post by L13 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:22 am

such prolific humans I can't keep up!
they seem long overdue for some soundtrack work
i'm wondering why nobody has tapped them for film work yet?

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:54 am

They perform their music in the dark so the audience can feel their music without any distraction. They probably don't want their music to be subordinated to images or narrative frames.

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:24 pm

Thanks for the Bleep sale tip. Just scored the Elseq and NTS session bundles! My summer listening is going to be great!
FS (US): Dixie 2, Malekko IMIX

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:52 am

Hi guys, does anyone know what the first track is called here? Lasts for a long time, can't get enough.

Return to “Artist Discussion”