Abul Mogard - Above All Dreams

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

User avatar
suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity
Posts: 4785
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:04 pm
Location: San Diego

Post by suboptimal » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:49 pm

Nice sounds.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that you can retire as a factory worker and still be quite young. "Retirement" is often a matter of physical necessity rather than reaching a ripe old age.

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7022
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:14 pm

suboptimal wrote:Nice sounds.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that you can retire as a factory worker and still be quite young. "Retirement" is often a matter of physical necessity rather than reaching a ripe old age.
You can, but that story is nothing but a bit of fun.

User avatar
RowanH
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:43 pm
Location: Brixton, UK

Post by RowanH » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:43 pm

It was a very zen performance.

User avatar
RowanH
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:43 pm
Location: Brixton, UK

Post by RowanH » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:35 pm

Above All Dreams is probably my least favourite of his releases, but I enjoyed it a lot more live.

He's just posted a recent live set from a gig with Lucy Railton in Slovenia, sounds great. Some new stuff in there.

Live at Sonica 2019

User avatar
nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 962
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:46 pm
Location: central usofa

Post by nostalghia » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:46 pm

Just noticed that an album of remixes by Abul Mogard (songs by 5 other artists) was released earlier this year. Titled "And We Are Passing Through Silently", only one of the tracks is under 12 minutes long.

Quote: "Rounding up divine renderings of songs by Aïsha Devi, Penelope Trappes (The Golden Filter) and nick nicely (heralded by luminaries of the US underground Ariel Pink & John Maus), the album culminates with Brian Eno’s collaboration with Irish avant-folk band Fovea Hex. Also included is Abul’s brand new rework of Becoming Animal’s ‘The Sky Is Ever Falling’ starring vocals from Cinder (This Mortal Coil/Cindytalk) and Massimo Pupillo on bass (Zu/Thurston Moore/Stephen O' Malley), exclusive to the 2LP, CD and digital release."

Looks like at least one reviewer is still going with the original background story ("A native of Serbia, little is known about him, apart from that he has spent most of his life working in a metal factory..."):
REVIEW: ABUL MOGARD – AND WE ARE PASSING THROUGH SILENTLY

A better one: https://driftingalmostfalling.wordpress.com/2019/03/23/abul-mogard-and-we-are-passing-through-silently/

Preview/buy on his label's page here:
https://houndstoothlabel.bandcamp.com/album/and-we-are-passing-through-silently
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7022
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:40 am

New Abul Mogard release


User avatar
hongaars
Common Wiggler
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:30 pm
Location: Utrecht

Post by hongaars » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:53 pm

I'm new to Abul Mogard.

I just started with Above All Dreams.. Cant stop listening!! :hail:

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Post by cptnal » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:02 am

Just discovering this. Love the whole "is-he-or-isn't-he" mystique. Irrespective, the music is gorgeous, but I'd like the story to be true - we don't just listen with our ears.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Skiff, Waveform Laboratory, Funboat

User avatar
Reality Checkpoint
Confused By Electricity
Posts: 3906
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:06 am
Location: Al Aqsa

Post by Reality Checkpoint » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:24 pm

dubonaire wrote:New Abul Mogard release

Thank you for this.

I'm not buying so much music these days, but for Mogard I make an exception.

User avatar
Illiac
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 921
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:44 pm
Location: Detroit

Post by Illiac » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:36 pm

Just figured out who he is. It’s nobody mentioned here, though (or anyone I had heard of previously). You can find the answer through his album art.
Last edited by Illiac on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7022
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:09 pm

Reality Checkpoint wrote:
dubonaire wrote:New Abul Mogard release

Thank you for this.

I'm not buying so much music these days, but for Mogard I make an exception.
:tu:

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 pm
Location: In the North

Post by Gyroscope » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:21 am

Illiac wrote:Just figured out he is. It’s nobody mentioned here, though (or anyone I had heard of previously). You can find the answer through his album art.
You sure?

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Post by cptnal » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:10 am

LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU. I don't want to know. :shut:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Skiff, Waveform Laboratory, Funboat

kinkujin
Common Wiggler
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:06 pm
Location: USA

Post by kinkujin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:49 pm

Thanks for the links to this artist. I'm thoroughly enjoying his/her music. Metalworker or not. :bananaguitar:

ringmood
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:36 am

Post by ringmood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:55 pm

Illiac wrote:Just figured out who he is. ...
Why the spoiler? There were already enough subtle clues in this thread and around the net for those who really wanted to know. Let's keep him as Abul, unless he want to show himself.

User avatar
Illiac
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 921
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:44 pm
Location: Detroit

Post by Illiac » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:07 pm

ringmood wrote:
Illiac wrote:Just figured out who he is. ...
Why the spoiler? There were already enough subtle clues in this thread and around the net for those who really wanted to know. Let's keep him as Abul, unless he want to show himself.
I don’t think I spoiled it. Just offered a clue for those who were curious, like myself. I’m not making anyone google sleuth it.

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7022
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Illiac wrote:
ringmood wrote:
Illiac wrote:Just figured out who he is. ...
Why the spoiler? There were already enough subtle clues in this thread and around the net for those who really wanted to know. Let's keep him as Abul, unless he want to show himself.
I don’t think I spoiled it. Just offered a clue for those who were curious, like myself. I’m not making anyone google sleuth it.
I don't think you spoiled it either.

User avatar
neumedi
Common Wiggler
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Re: Abul Mogard - Above All Dreams

Post by neumedi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:57 pm

I read this thread a couple of weeks ago, and the clues didn’t really help. However, I figured it out via other means a couple days ago, and now see a clue hidden in plain sight.

Anyhow, would love to resurrect the discussion of tools/techniques for getting similar sounds and textural evolution. Specifically, thoughts on distortion/noise layering?

User avatar
RowanH
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:43 pm
Location: Brixton, UK

Re: Abul Mogard - Above All Dreams

Post by RowanH » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:17 pm

I think gearwise his focus on what he uses can be split between before Above all dreams(moog/organ, guitar pedals &rack effects, some diy stuff) and later where he seemed to get more into modular, mainly euro serge. I dont think there's anything particularly esoteric gear wise for the distortion, pretty sure he has used a rat in the past. Compositionally he leaves a lot of mid range space for the use of distortion, but that's easier when there's no percussion. He sometimes uses what I call a drone sandwich where there's a drone/pedal note in both the bass and higher frequencies, gives a solid harmonic basis and again the midrange is where the interesting stuff happens.

He posted this live set from last year where his use of distortion is amazing, in particular there's a reworking of Purpose of Peace half way through, which was one of his early organ focused peaces, but here is reimagined with a lot more synth, presumably serge, it certainly sounds like it. I think his live recordings refute the idea that there's a lot of editing and daw work that goes into his signature sound, no doubt there is, but its not where his uniqueness comes from. Ultimately we can dissect his music as much as we want, but there's that extra 20% that is inspiration that makes the difference. He found his niche sound and had the talent to make use of it.

Edit:
Not sure why the soundcloud link isn't working here's the direct link:
https://m.soundcloud.com/abul-mogard/li ... ember-2019

Heres the link to that version of purpose of peace he has on his bandcamp:

User avatar
neumedi
Common Wiggler
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Re: Abul Mogard - Above All Dreams

Post by neumedi » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:05 pm

Yeah, the more I listen, the more I hear the Farfisa coming through his work. I had not heard the newer live stuff as much (saw a bit on YouTube, but was more focused on trying to pick up visual clues), so didn't really pick up on his transition from Farfisa to... something. Serge could be it... I came into Eurorack late, and not as familiar with the Serge sound. Now that I go listen to some Serge drone clips, you could certainly be right... sounds closer to his sound than most typical euro VCO/filters.

And completely agree on that inspiration being the biggest difference. I threw together a patch trying to aim for a similar sound... but admittedly I had next to zero inspiration/meaning behind it - just trying to get an interesting drone sound:


I just picked up a 0-ctrl, to have more flexibility with non-quantized pitches. Just in the last hour already finding some inspiration with newfound possibilities.

User avatar
RowanH
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:43 pm
Location: Brixton, UK

Re: Abul Mogard - Above All Dreams

Post by RowanH » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:19 pm

There's a very strong tonal centre to his work, I think he draws a lot of inspiration from film music and from the more tonal late 19th and pre minimalism 20th century classical end of the spectrum. I know that includes a lot of ambient artists but he's tapping into something different. It's stripped of embellishment and cliche and slowed down, and any atonal elements are used sparingly to increase tension, and sound as much a product of the fact that weird things happen when using resonant filters and passing distortion, delay and reverb into each other. (caveat: I'm a dilettante not a music theorist and I'm using atonal in a loose sense of out of tune/noise/absence of clear pitch as well as in the 'absence of tonality' sense).

I can imagine him sitting down at the Farfisa as a starting point for a lot of his tunes. Just pitch and sine waves and long held chords while he searches for the next transition. And then when he switches on the rest of his studio things start getting more Mogard-y.

I usually dislike literalism in music/art but it's all over my favourite AM album Circular Forms. Slate coloured storm sounds like a storm, he even manages to conjure a ship's bell out of something. Half light of dawn sounds like it's some grand Impressionistic theme by Debussy passed through paulstretch. I also think what he takes from film music extends beyond his composition and obvious use of dynamics ( I can't think of another electronic musician who has such a wide dynamic range in their music, possibly one of the reasons some of the vinyl pressings have not been great). His use of timbre reminds me of some of the the things film composers do.

In fact I was watching a Christian Henson youtube video earlier and it made me think of AM for some reason. Warning, he can sometimes rub people up the wrong way, but he sticks to a subject he knows something about in this one.



I like the SC clip you posted, I can see the inspiration but it doesn't sound like him. But that's a good thing, imitation is a perfectly valid starting point, with a bit of serendipity things go off on a tangent and you end up with something 'original'.

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7022
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Abul Mogard - Above All Dreams

Post by dubonaire » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:43 pm

RowanH wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:19 pm
There's a very strong tonal centre to his work, I think he draws a lot of inspiration from film music and from the more tonal late 19th and pre minimalism 20th century classical end of the spectrum. I know that includes a lot of ambient artists but he's tapping into something different. It's stripped of embellishment and cliche and slowed down, and any atonal elements are used sparingly to increase tension, and sound as much a product of the fact that weird things happen when using resonant filters and passing distortion, delay and reverb into each other. (caveat: I'm a dilettante not a music theorist and I'm using atonal in a loose sense of out of tune/noise/absence of clear pitch as well as in the 'absence of tonality' sense).

I can imagine him sitting down at the Farfisa as a starting point for a lot of his tunes. Just pitch and sine waves and long held chords while he searches for the next transition. And then when he switches on the rest of his studio things start getting more Mogard-y.

I usually dislike literalism in music/art but it's all over my favourite AM album Circular Forms. Slate coloured storm sounds like a storm, he even manages to conjure a ship's bell out of something. Half light of dawn sounds like it's some grand Impressionistic theme by Debussy passed through paulstretch. I also think what he takes from film music extends beyond his composition and obvious use of dynamics ( I can't think of another electronic musician who has such a wide dynamic range in their music, possibly one of the reasons some of the vinyl pressings have not been great). His use of timbre reminds me of some of the the things film composers do.
I appreciate your analysis. I actually haven't put much thought into analysing his work. Maybe I should. I've just let myself drift along emotionally up until now.

User avatar
RowanH
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:43 pm
Location: Brixton, UK

Re: Abul Mogard - Above All Dreams

Post by RowanH » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:38 pm

Considering his equipment list I'd be really surprised if he didn't frequent the forum in some form. I bet he turns up and goes this is all twaddle and actually I only use Omnisphere presets with names like 'soundtrack for an imaginary film', the eurorack is just for show and please stop thinking of me sitting in my studio, it's weird.

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7022
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Re: Abul Mogard - Above All Dreams

Post by dubonaire » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:37 pm

RowanH wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:38 pm
Considering his equipment list I'd be really surprised if he didn't frequent the forum in some form. I bet he turns up and goes this is all twaddle and actually I only use Omnisphere presets with names like 'soundtrack for an imaginary film', the eurorack is just for show and please stop thinking of me sitting in my studio, it's weird.
How do you know he's using modular?

User avatar
GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1414
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:58 pm
Location: Oly

Re: Abul Mogard - Above All Dreams

Post by GrantB » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:54 pm


I mean it looks like a modular (and a laptop), but there is a lot of fog

Post Reply

Return to “Artist Discussion”