Four records that changed your life.

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Four records that changed your life.

Post by Prunesquallor » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:58 am

Motorhead - Overkill
I was just the right age (12) when an older neighbour played it to me. The Iron Fist tour was also the first concert I ever went to. From there it was a short skip and jump to The Damned (Machine Gun Etiquette) and other great stuff. Adrenaline all the way!

Rush - Permanent Waves
After Motorhead I was checking out anything noisy, and Rush soon popped up. My ears pricked up. Boy, that Oberheim and Minimoog sound good! Someone else lent me Tangerine Dream around the same time (I was branching out) and that was the start of my love affair with synths.

Hawkwind - Space Ritual
Heavy and atmospheric, and Lemmy obviously bribed the sound guy to push his bass to the front of the mix. Also, psychedelic as fuck! A misspent youth ensued. :hihi: From them I progressed to Gong (my first introduction to jazz!), and ultimately psy trance, Shpongle and other mad shit.

Underworld - Second Toughest at the Infants
Hawkwind fans, funnily enough, but I like the connection. Anyway, this was the first electronic dance album I heard, otherwise it's a three-way tie between this and Leftism by Leftfield, and Sheet One by Plastikman. I encountered them at roughly the same time, and all three continue to blow my minds today.

(Only four albums? No room for Kate Bush, Japan, any reggae, Philip Glass, swing....)
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

RIP Ziggy, the companion in my avatar.

Heroin_Bath
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Heroin_Bath » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:57 pm

Yes - Close to the Edge

This album got me out of my Nu Metal phase. I still love Korn but this album is when I really started branching out musically. I had been a Yes fan as a kid(loved Tormato and Big Generator)but this album changed my life when I was 13 or so.

Bear vs Shark - Terrorhawk

The album that killed my prog snob phase. Thank you.

Björk - Post

One of the best "pop" albums of all time.

Orbital - The Box 28 minute version EP

This is what got me into electronic music. Still one of my favorite pieces of music ever.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:25 am

Being brutally honest, I would have to choose four records that, even thought they might not be good, they are the ones that got me into the music I like now.

First, some context. I was first and foremost a computer geek. In the second half of 80s I was in my early teens and everyone listened either to hard rock and hair metal (Kiss, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, stuff like that), or pop music (NKOTB mostly). I didn't like any of it, particularly the singing parts; they all sounded like someone was squeezing their balls into pulp. Instead, I liked music from videogames with strange bleepy sounds and started making my own strange bleepy sounds at age 11 with BASIC programs on a Commodore 16 computer. The genre that eventually captured my interest was rap: it had repetitive patterns with strange sounds, most of it sounded like it came from some sort of machine, didn't have any guitar solos, and the vocals sounded like actual men (I don't mean this in a derogatory way, only that they sounded like real voices). So in that context, these are the records that changed my life:

- Vanilla Ice - To The Extreme. Back in 1990, in Mexico, you couldn't find any rap/hiphop records other than the most popular/commercial ones (vanilla ice, mc hammer). Maybe in Mexico City or Monterrey, but not in my city. I had listened (obviously) to Ice Ice Baby on the radio and decided to try the album. This was the first tape I bought, ever. I wore that tape out and no longer have it and never "upgraded" to the CD, but I still remember most of it. And, as bad as people say it is, I don't think it's worse than most of the commercial hip hop that you hear these days. In any case, it made me hungry for more and soon I discovered other rap/hip-hop artists and where to find their music. Currently, my CD collection is about 40% hip hop, so it's still a big part of my life. Also, I started making music because I wanted to make hip hop, but I soon realized that I sucked less at synths and electronic music.

- Technotronic - Megamix. Similar story. I had listened to some Technotronic songs on the radio or somewhere, and I thought it sounded cool (repetitive, videogamey, sounds from machines, real vocals, etc.). This was also one of the first tapes I bought (probably among the first five) and quickly became a fan and started buying anything I could find. It led me into my search for other hip-house artists and eventually other types of electronic music. I still listen to this stuff fairly regularly, mostly the non-commercial tracks (e.g., the instrumentals).

- Nirvana - Nevermind. I didn't think I could like rock music until I saw the Smells Like Teen Spirit video. There were three normal-looking guys, dressed normally, playing rock music that didn't have the ridiculous antics of hard rock and metal. First rock tape I ever bought, and again, it lead me into searching for more. Not only that but I learned to play drums playing along with this album and eventually became part of a couple of bands myself.

I have to admit I had trouble thinking of a fourth album. Of course, there are dozens of albums that I love and have inspired me, but I wouldn't say they changed my life. And then it hit me, and it is pretty fucking obvious, although it might sound self-centered. The fourth album that changed my life is the first album I released (it's called "Aardvark Music", in case you're interested). It's just something I never thought I could do, and now I consider it one of my main achievements.

Apologies for the long post, but it really made me think.

fishphacurr
Common Wiggler

Post by fishphacurr » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:34 pm

Well too many to nail down, but if I consider the ones that have a electronic background and which "grabbed me", as of right now I'd say:

Scorn - Gyral
NIN - Pretty Hate Machine
*Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol 2
*Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right to Children

*These two still get played on a monthly basis to this very day. Both would probably be in my "Desert Island Discs" picks...

Kurge71
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kurge71 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:26 am

These come to mind:
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Reign In Blood - Slayer
Live At Leeds - The Who
Apostrophe - Frank Zappa

Return to “Artist Discussion”