Daft Punk split

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Hastur
Common Wiggler

Daft Punk split

Post by Hastur » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:59 am

Sad...

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Daft Punk split

Post by southphillysynths » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:09 am

It is, could always come back though!
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

Hastur
Common Wiggler

Post by Hastur » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:13 am

southphillysynths wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:09 am
It is, could always come back though!
Yeah of course. I have no doubts they'll be active separately (as they've always been), but it's the end of an era. I have so much good memories linked to their music :waah:

tigerhill
Common Wiggler

Post by tigerhill » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:58 am

This hits me harder than any celebrity death has ... their music defined a large portion of my life as I am sure was true for many.

Radiance2021
Common Wiggler

Post by Radiance2021 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:37 pm

Saw them live without helmets....mid 90's I guess...

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:45 pm

They've had a long run. It will be a kind of creative freedom to be able to work on their music while not under the expectations that come along with releasing a Daft Punk record.

They’ll be back though. Money always wins in the end.

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:59 pm

Most overrated and unbearable crap ever. Good riddance, and long live Giorgio.

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:02 pm

^Ewww gross comment.

Daft Punk will forever be the absolute lads. They’ve done more for electronic music than almost anyone - completely redefined how incredibly spectacular a live dance music show can be, managing to keep things stylish and avoid too much cheese whilst they did it. Not bad at all I’d say.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

johny_gtr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:07 pm

Carrousel wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:02 pm
^Ewww gross comment.

Daft Punk will forever be the absolute lads. They’ve done more for electronic music than almost anyone - completely redefined how incredibly spectacular a live dance music show can be, managing to keep things stylish and avoid too much cheese whilst they did it. Not bad at all I’d say.
+1. Their last album is recorded really good for modern days. Good sequences/melodies, combo of synths and live musicians.
modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:08 pm

naos wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:59 pm
Most overrated and unbearable crap ever. Good riddance, and long live Giorgio.
Take that negativity and shove it. That shit doesn’t fly around here.

While I can’t say I’m a mega fan, when Homework came out, it was different at a time when everyone else was the same. I very much enjoyed it. Will pull it out again tonight for a dust off!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Hastur
Common Wiggler

Post by Hastur » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:44 pm

Obvious troll is obvious.
Grumpy French is grumpy (I know it too well, I can be really grumpy too :lol: ).

Speaking about Giorgio Moroder...

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:56 pm

Really fucked me up, hearing this yesterday. (No doubt amplified by the other shit I was dealing with, but that's a different story.)
Discovery was a life-changing album for me. I played that CD until it wouldn't play anymore. One More Time will never not get me going.
I will be holding on to my copy of Interstella 5555 tighter than ever!

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:06 am

Carrousel wrote:
they’ve done more for electronic music than almost anyone
hahaha :hihi:
they've done a lot for the reduction of all music to auto-tuned garbage, yes I guess. they were pivotal in getting us closer to Idiocracy

Carrousel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:10 am

naos wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:06 am
Carrousel wrote:
they’ve done more for electronic music than almost anyone
hahaha :hihi:
they've done a lot for the reduction of all music to auto-tuned garbage, yes I guess. they were pivotal in getting us closer to Idiocracy
Autotune :yay: , good one.

Umm, it’s called a vocoder.
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:15 am

naos wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:06 am
:youkids:
If you don't like them, eat shit and go back under your bridge.

burnn_out!
deep fried intoxicated wiggler

Post by burnn_out! » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:19 am

They've really done some truly great things in their career. Outside of RAM I still find their discography amazing. Homework, discovery, and human after all are linked to so many memories in my life. While the announcement is disappointing it's hard to really feel much considering how slow their output was. I basically considered them retired everytime then a new album would turn up. This time there just isn't an album.

+1 to what gringo starr said. Maybe the stigma of bring daft punk wasn't worth it anymore. That separately and away from that they'll feel more creative and ambitious.
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:23 am

Carrousel wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:10 am

thanks for your intelligent input
nice vocoder there :

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:26 am

Yes Powder wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:56 pm
Really fucked me up, hearing this yesterday. (No doubt amplified by the other shit I was dealing with, but that's a different story.)
Discovery was a life-changing album for me.
Take care Mr. Powder.

Same story here, but with Homework. Played those two pieces of vinyl a near infinite amount of times.
Last edited by Voltcontrol on Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaun Yersel!

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:29 am

3hands wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:08 pm

While I can’t say I’m a mega fan, when Homework came out, it was different at a time when everyone else was the same. I very much enjoyed it. Will pull it out again tonight for a dust off!
Homework was cool. I have fond but very hazy memories of coming home from a night out still saucer-eyed and watching videos like Revolution 909 as the sun rose. That album captured a bit of the zeitgeist. It was a fun time, and the Epilogue video really made me sad, because I'm reluctant to accept the end of an era. I really do miss the vibe of that period.

Maybe I'll pull Homework out and put on the TTs.

I didn't like any of their stuff after Homework because I think it lacked the edge that Homework had.

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:43 am

Saw this all over Facebook - with almost every one of my friends tagging me "Oh no - what will you do?"

When I heard it, it kind of left no impression other than gratitude. I thought, good for them!
Hope they go on to do fantastic things they were unable to try as Daft Punk (perhaps something with Phoenix?!?!) and I would never rule out these crazy cats shocking everyone with a) a huge comeback at some significant juncture b) becoming the worlds greatest death metal / skiffle / acapella / whatever band!

Homework and Da Funk defined my life for a time and subsequent releases continued to thrill. I am forever grateful - Bravo Daft Punk!

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:53 am

naos wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:23 am
Carrousel wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:10 am

thanks for your intelligent input
nice vocoder there
"When questioned on the effects, Thomas Bangalter stated "A lot of people complain about musicians using Auto-Tune. It reminds me of the late '70s when musicians in France tried to ban the synthesiser... What they didn't see was that you could use those tools in a new way instead of just for replacing the instruments that came before."
Source is some mixmag interview that disappeared online in the seas of time but is still referenced on Wikipedia.

Let us mourn in peace y'alls.
Gaun Yersel!

Hastur
Common Wiggler

Post by Hastur » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:04 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:26 am

Same story here, but with Homework. Played those two pieces of vinyl nearly an infinite amount of times.
The same... I can still remember when the needle hit the first kick of Da Funks b-side !
dubonaire wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:29 am

I didn't like any of their stuff after Homework because I think it lacked the edge that Homework had.
Yep. I like Discovery very much (I love Matsumoto artwork, so that helps too), but the two last one left me rather unsatisfied. But they manage to evolve and not rest on their laurels, without compromising on production value. Bravo !

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:27 am

dubonaire wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:29 am
3hands wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:08 pm

Homework was cool. I have fond but very hazy memories of coming home from a night out still saucer-eyed and watching videos like Revolution 909 as the sun rose. That album captured a bit of the zeitgeist. It was a fun time, and the Epilogue video really made me sad, because I'm reluctant to accept the end of an era. I really do miss the vibe of that period.

Maybe I'll pull Homework out and put on the TTs.

I agree! Homework definitely had that wow factor, that other releases didn’t. Having said that, it’s not because the music post HW was bad by any means, it’s just that that first album was such an explosion.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

cyclopeatron
Common Wiggler

Post by cyclopeatron » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:08 am

100% respect to Daft Punk and their fans. Sorry about the sad news.

I'm surprised and curious, though, about the huge emotions the split has inspired. I guess I didn't realize so many people cared so much about Daft Punk. I bought Homework when it came out - it was fun and sounded good, and I liked it. But, to be honest, in 1997 Daft Punk felt simple and unexciting compared to stuff that had come out just before it (e.g., RDJ Album, which felt like a total musical revolution to my tender young self, or Hard Normal Daddy).

I would love to hear thoughts from some of you other synth nerdz on why Daft Punk's music was special and interesting to you, so I can go back and revisit some tunes to get a better perspective on their legacy. Are there specific outstanding tracks you can recommend? Or thoughts on context, and DP's broader influence and impact?

Hastur
Common Wiggler

Post by Hastur » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:16 pm

cyclopeatron wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:08 am
100% respect to Daft Punk and their fans. Sorry about the sad news.

I'm surprised and curious, though, about the huge emotions the split has inspired. I guess I didn't realize so many people cared so much about Daft Punk. I bought Homework when it came out - it was fun and sounded good, and I liked it. But, to be honest, in 1997 Daft Punk felt simple and unexciting compared to stuff that had come out just before it (e.g., RDJ Album, which felt like a total musical revolution to my tender young self, or Hard Normal Daddy).

I would love to hear thoughts from some of you other synth nerdz on why Daft Punk's music was special and interesting to you, so I can go back and revisit some tunes to get a better perspective on their legacy. Are there specific outstanding tracks you can recommend? Or thoughts on context, and DP's broader influence and impact?
For me it's the end of an era, emotionally speaking. Homework reminds me of my late teens, when I heard their first 12'' Da Funk/Rollin' & Scratchin' (end of 1995/beginning of 1996, so before Richard D. James if I remember correctly ;) ). I was really into belgian/dutch techno music back then, and their sound were as agressive, but different, more "funky"...
So it's maybe just nostalgia of a period in time that I perceive as more light-hearted than it is now, I don't know :despair:

And they, too, are synth nerds/gear freaks after all ! :lol:

Return to “Artist Discussion”