Four records that changed your life.

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Four records that changed your life.

Post by smetak » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:04 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:50 pm
I love this thread.

I've been thinking, what is the one album I keep going back to again and again, and which never gets old, and which always yields new discoveries, and I have decided that this album is...

I'm talking about La Transfiguration de notre seigneur Jesus-Christ (not La nativite du seigneur, which is great but not life-changing). I dare you to listen to the whole thing, all 14 movements, to see whether your idea of "what is music?" isn't fundamentally changed by the experience. (This link should start at track 10, which is the first movement of La Transfiguration.). At least listen through the first 3 movements, about a 15-minute commitment. Then discuss!
Olivier Messiaen's suggetion I have put on hold for when the evening comes....most excellent suggestion!

I remember the first time I heard him when I worked in a bookstore in NYC a thousand years ago - they had the radio playing (probably the NYT station) and suddenly this very somber, incredibly dark music filled the room - it really shook me to my core. Very powerful - didn't know who it was until annouced it was Messiaen's "Quartet for the End of Time". Very, very intense piece - on the same level of intensity, would also cite Arvo Pärt, one of the main composers for minimalist religious music.

äggmedskägg
Common Wiggler

Post by äggmedskägg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:01 pm

smetak wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:53 pm
Curious you've mentioned Ultravox - I'm a massive fan, but only of the pre-Midge Ure era. From Vienna onward it was a bit of a put down for me.
I love the song, but Vienna the album is actually quite bad... Love Rage in Eden though. But I never got into John Foxx-era Ultravox! though, but I really like Metamatic.

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:36 am

äggmedskägg wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:01 pm
smetak wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:53 pm
Curious you've mentioned Ultravox - I'm a massive fan, but only of the pre-Midge Ure era. From Vienna onward it was a bit of a put down for me.
I love the song, but Vienna the album is actually quite bad... Love Rage in Eden though. But I never got into John Foxx-era Ultravox! though, but I really like Metamatic.
Personally, I'm a big-time John Foxx fan, been hearing him for years - Metamatic has this very distant, retro ambient to it, which I really enjoy. I think the man is brilliant, but way overlooked. As said, I really like all of the Foxx-era Ultravox material - incredible music!

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:33 pm

äggmedskägg wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:01 pm
Vienna the album is actually quite bad... I really like Metamatic.
Vienna and Metamatic feature songs that are essentially the same, lyrics apart: Mr X and Touch and Go. Seems both Foxx and Ultravox claimed the song as theirs after the split.

chachi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chachi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:36 pm

Torn n Frayed wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:29 pm
Verve-A Storm in Heaven
yesssssssss

Jerome
Common Wiggler

Post by Jerome » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:13 pm

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon
Killing Joke - Night Time

MarilynMonroe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MarilynMonroe » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:07 am

Oxygene - JMJ
Let there be Rock - AC/DC

I still love both records... this are true milestones for me!
--
in Love
MarilynMonroe

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:17 am

chachi wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:36 pm
Torn n Frayed wrote:
Verve-A Storm in Heaven
yesssssssss
Great album - played it a lot back then. For me it was his guitar sound, he put it in parallel through two delays at different timings into a pair of amps.
..the vessel was heavier because “dead sheep do not have the same weight as the live ones”

Torn n Frayed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Torn n Frayed » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:23 am

cretaceousear wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:17 am
chachi wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:36 pm
Torn n Frayed wrote:
Verve-A Storm in Heaven
yesssssssss
Great album - played it a lot back then. For me it was his guitar sound, he put it in parallel through two delays at different timings into a pair of amps.
I am close friends with Nick, he is a massive wiggler and a sweetheart to boot. Saw them on that tour the show before this one; and it was nothing short of life changing!

Divinital_
Common Wiggler

Post by Divinital_ » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:43 am

-TOOL - All of them, but if I had to pick, Lateralus for the first time front to back after eating some paper.

-Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

-Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

- Tied here, I'd either have to give it to Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced, Miles Davis - Bitches Brew, or Kendrick Lamar's earlier works such as Section 80 or Overly Dedicated

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:44 pm

As Graham Hinton pointed out (almost four years ago!), this thread has become 'my four favourite records' rather than 'Four records that changed your life'. Some context would be interesting.

MarilynMonroe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MarilynMonroe » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:35 am

MarilynMonroe wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:07 am
Oxygene - JMJ
Let there be Rock - AC/DC

I still love both records... this are true milestones for me!
Ok, let me explain why this two records impressed me so much and ‚changed‘ my life...

In the seventies I played Guitars in rock bands. Oxygene was the first time in my life I realised how Synthesizers can sound. I was blown away by this album, and since then I felt in love with Synthesizers. So this album changed my way to make music completely.

Let there be Rock. In my opinion it‘s the most incredible album ever recorded. I never heard an album with that energy, strength, simplicity, pureness and openess again. This album was not recorded following a plan or for success. It was just how the band felt, nothing less and nothing more. Since then I try to make music in this way, pure without any influences of others. I know this is impossible, but remembering this album helps me to keep things simple and pure.

That‘s why this two albums changed my ‚musical life‘. :guinness:
--
in Love
MarilynMonroe

RustedMechanism
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RustedMechanism » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:58 pm

Trying to narrow this down to the four most influential/life changing is difficult! I've gone with some of the few that first came to mind...

I am gonna have to pair up Here Come the Warm Jets with Taking Tiger Mountain, as I was introduced by these albums at the same time and both were played repeatedly throughout my youth.

Richard D James Album, as I had truly never heard anything like it before.

Nespithe, by Demilich, gotta love this one for taking me out of my comfort zone and challenging me a little bit.

The Cocteau Twins' Head Over Heels...

Return to “Artist Discussion”