Four records that changed your life.

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

littlejohn87
Learning to Wiggle

Post by littlejohn87 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:38 pm

Koyaanisqatsi - Philip Glass
In Rainbows - Radiohead
Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin
Eric Whitacre: The Complete A Capella Works, 1991 - 2001

I have to qualify the last one; it was likely performing a few of those pieces that made the album so meaningful, but that was the first time I heard many of his compositions and anyone familiar with the composer will know how incredible they are.

BailyDread
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BailyDread » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:51 pm

The White Stripes - De Stijl: I got this album when I was in elementary school, and it was the first music that I really connected with and really cared about. The simplicity made it accessible to me, I found kinship in the attitude as I was a pretty grumpy kid.

Justice - (Cross album): This came out at the start of my high school years and I became completely obsessed. This was the first music where the mix of the music stuck out to me as being an artistic achievement of its own, and the swagger and French arty-ness appealed to my shallow teenage vanity.

Basic Channel - BCD (in truth, I only have ever heard BC on streaming platforms): I discovered BC at the end of my high school years through looking into Rhythm and Sound, which I had heard in a mix. BC was the first music I found where the repetition really made sense as an artistic choice; it wasn't that the artists were being lazy, they had an entirely different approach to music that was more structural and fixed. As I got into my college years, BC became my ultimate favorite music, and it's still my gold standard.

Kanye West - Ye: This album came out a few weeks after I had quit a really terrible job that was causing me severe psychological harm due to the nature of the work (very ugly subject matter); I've been a Kanye fan since my middle-school years when Graduation came out, but when Ye came out, I was completely floored.

Just my two cents to this interesting prompt :tu:

EasyToAssemble
Learning to Wiggle

Post by EasyToAssemble » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:34 am

Mine are possible obvious choices (and somewhat lacking in synth (sorry)), but they - mostly - appeared in my formative years as albums that were a complete departure from what I was used to, and were the trigger in sending me off to search out the more obscure stuff.

Tom Waits - 'Swordfishtrombone' (copied to a C90 for me by my Dad when I was a teenager; played the hell out of it).
Autechre - 'Incunabula' (when I first started to be aware of glitch being an asset rather than a hindrance in making music)
Boards of Canada - 'Music has the Right to Children' (a common choice, but possibly the first album I heard depicting the idea of collective memory vs personal memory actually put to music)
Scott Walker - 'Boy Child' (a compilation, not an album but one that opened a completely new musical world to me)

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:20 am

Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables. Reading a DK lyrics book at the age of 15 changed me forever and pretty much ensured I will always be a punk at heart.
Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Feed Your Head Vol. 1 compilation (Planet Dog Records I think)
African Head Charge- Songs Of Praise.... Stoned immaculate! Beyond words.

Jim the Oldbie
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jim the Oldbie » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:39 am

Man, it's hard to stick to just 4. Hmm...

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Jimi Hendrix: Axis: Bold as Love
3. Yes: Close to the Edge
4. Todd Rundgren: Todd

Honorable mention: Patrick Moraz, The Story of i

Probably forgetting many others, but all of these definitely had a much younger me sitting with my jaw hanging open, hearing them for the first time.

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:35 pm

Einstürzende Neubauten — Zeichnungen des Patienten O.T.
Sisters Of Mercy — Floodland
Pulse: This Is Psychedelic Trance [compilation]
Ubar Tmar — True

Prunesquallor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Prunesquallor » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:24 pm

Hawkwind - Space Ritual
The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette
Count Basie - anything from the Old Testament era
Plastikman - Sheet One
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

RIP Ziggy, the companion in my avatar.

Allen Arin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Allen Arin » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:37 am

subbasshead wrote:Velvet Underground - Banana album
Can - Egebamyasi
African Head Charge - Environmental Studies
Rhythm & Sound - any and everything
:banana:

atimbral
Common Wiggler

Post by atimbral » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:03 am

Morton Subotnik - Touch
Edgard Varese - Ensemble works on Candide label, Friedrich Cerha cond.
Anton Webern - Complete Works box set, Robert Craft
Steve Lehman - Travail, Transformation, and Flow

CosmicFlight
Common Wiggler

Post by CosmicFlight » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:50 pm

Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe, used to listen to that when i was a kid
DJ shadow - endtroducing
Arthur Verocai ‎– Arthur Verocai
Nick Drake - ‎Pink Moon

doublestewart
Common Wiggler

Post by doublestewart » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:11 pm

radiohead - kid a
boc - music has the right to children
panda bear - person pitch
aphex twin - sawii

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:46 am

1- Behaviour - Pet Shop Boys. This came out during my high school years, and being the arty nerdy guy that I was, this album came to me as summing up all that is wrong with Highschool (I was having a tough Go of it).

2- the Rave scene- Finally! Music for nerds! I remember listening to this stuff on a portable DAT recorder with headphones (the epitome of nerd), and kept getting asked why I listened to Nintendo music. Those same people that asked me that, I would go on to see in clubs years later getting their groove on to The Witchdoktor (haha)

3- Skinny Puppy- Mind the Perpetual Intercourse- heard this on vinyl at a friends house. His older brother was big into them. Chainsaw was the first song I had ever heard that was genuinely terrifying. And I loved the fear of it. Now in my mid 40’s that song still brings back memories of being a little skinny kid terrified by the sounds he was hearing, but also somehow drawn into the music production. To this day, I’m still a big puppy head.

4- Ministry 81-84 remixes. The first time I heard his, I loved it. Big fat analogue synths, soaring melodies, and very danceable. I play it now and it takes me back to the summer of 1991 (when I originally heard it).

Special mention is also Aphex Twin Select Ambient Works
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:01 am

David Bowie - Low
Lou Reed - New York
Pat Metheny - American Garage
Daniel Hope - Spheres

These aren't my all-time favorite recordings, but each launched me on a new listening adventure. (For example, I can draw a wavy line from listening to "American Garage" when I was nineteen to discovering "A Love Supreme" in my thirties.)

iSapien1956672
Common Wiggler

Post by iSapien1956672 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:01 am

1. Ted Nugent - Scream Dream; My dad brought this cassette home in 1980, I was 6 years old, my brother and I would crank the stereo on these old Pioneer white canned headphones to 10. Freaking out.
Up until then it was bugs bunny cassettes, and Star Wars records, and my Mom's Dark Side of the Moon 8-track.

2. Return to the Source - "Deep Trance & Ritual Beats"; I bought this compilation in winter 1996 based solely on the fact that it had Juno Reactor on it. Didn't know any other Name on there except Doof because they were both on a Novamute comp.
I had been into Industrial, Belgian Techno, anything WaxTrax! but this was like the music I'd waited my whole life to hear.

3. Megadeth - "Peace Sells..."; It had to be 1987, I was listening to some Dead Kennedys tape on the stereo, and my brother comes barging in and says "WHY DON'T YOU LISTEN TO SOME REAL MUSIC?" and puts on this album. Up until then I didn't know anything about metal except that Metallica was in my first Thrasher in June of 1986. Within a year I was knee deep in metal, especially Megadeth & Metallica.

4. For this one I can't really pin down one band, but rather a year and those bands, which is 1986. I started skateboarding in 1985 and was introduced to so many bands that changed my life at that point and made me see things differently globally and politically: Agent Orange, PIL, Circle Jerks, Suicidal Tendencies, DK, Exploited.

Rost + Licht
Common Wiggler

Post by Rost + Licht » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:52 am

Enter the Wu-Tang
Selected Ambient Works I
Selected Ambient Works II
Basic Channel BCD

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:51 am

Talking Heads Remain In Light
Brian Eno Another Green World
Kraftwerk Computer World
Jean-Michel Jarre Zoolook

b9
Common Wiggler

Post by b9 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:05 am

Fugazi Repeater
Sonic Youth Sister
John Coltrane Giant Steps
Terje Rypdal Waves

steffie268
Common Wiggler

Post by steffie268 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:36 pm

Rollins Band - The End of Silence
Suicidal Tendencies - How will I laugh tomorrow when I can't even smile today
Aphex Twin - Classics
Future Sound of London - Lifeforms

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:49 pm

Prunesquallor wrote:The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette
Hell yes. A fellow Damned fan. One of the most under appreciated rock bands of all time. For me it's The Black Album but MGE is phenomenal.

cavidim
Common Wiggler

Post by cavidim » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:00 pm

william basinski
dlp 1.1
dlp 2.1
dlp 3.1
dlp 4.1

vrfats
Common Wiggler

Post by vrfats » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:54 am

Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Throbbing Gristle - Heathen Earth
Anthony Braxton - Creative Orchestra Music 1979
Having trouble with the 4th but The Stooges - Fun House, Ornette Coleman - Body Meta, Henry Cow - Western Culture, Snakefinger -Chewing Hides The Sound, and Harry Partch - Delusions of The Fury are all on the table :hmm:

sjbucks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sjbucks » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:52 am

In chronological order:

1. Jeff Wayne's 'War Of The Worlds'. Aged around 7. I was totally obsessed with it. I listened to it on repeat, it was the first music that really impacted me, and still has some bearing on everything I do today.

2. Queen - A Night At The Opera.
Aged around 10-11. Made me want to be in a band. I could have picked any of the best Queen albums, but I think this one in particular was a personal favourite.

3. Guns 'n Roses - Appetite For Destruction.
Aged 12. Made me want to be in a band that pissed my parents off.

4. Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar.
Aged 15. From then on I was a full on 90's goth through the rest of my teens. Although I don't really listen to this nowadays, bits of this still seep into my current tastes. And Manson opened the door for me to listen to more electronic music. And now here we are, 23 years later.

There are hundreds of records I've loved since, which have far more impact on the music I make today, but I think these four were my first main milestones.

PavlinaA
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PavlinaA » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:18 am

Rainbow - Can't let you go
Guns N' Roses - November Raind
AC/DC - TNT
Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

RhythmDroid
Common Wiggler

Post by RhythmDroid » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:07 am

Yoko Kanno "Macross Plus" - Age 14 - Initiated a few moods and images I would grasp and search for my whole life

Jeff Lorber Fusion "Wizard Island" - Age 19 - Funk can be clean, sweet, and tight, and sassy

Solar Quest "A + B = C in D#" - Age 16 - I thought "I MUST find where people dance to this kind of music, at any cost"

Squarepusher "Port Rhombus" - Age 16 - I thought "I wanna get this good at making music"
IG: RhythmDroid

All my eurorack for sale at once: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=224655

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:12 pm

steffie268 wrote:Rollins Band - The End of Silence
Suicidal Tendencies - How will I laugh tomorrow when I can't even smile today
Aphex Twin - Classics
Future Sound of London - Lifeforms
I really only listened Lifetime by The Rollins Band growing up...only saw Rollins perform on one his spoken word tours. Anyway, started listening to The End of Silence, I think it shows an emotional growth from Lifetime in a way, still talking about feeling alienated but trying to teach the listener how to deal with those feelings, nurture one’s self esteem etc.; although preachy it’s effectively motivating.
I criticize by creation and by finding fault

“No more alcohol
It's a Kool-aid substitute”

Return to “Artist Discussion”