Fugazi

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Fugazi

Post by Daisuk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:36 pm

What a band. :hail:

I got introduced to them by a friend back in 2000. He asked me if I wanted to go see them in concert, but I couldn't, because I was broke, and hadn't heard of them before, so decided against borrowing money for the show (basically never had any money around that time). How I have come to regret that! I went home that night (after having met my friend at the bus stop on his way to the show), fired up good ol' Napster and downloaded a few of their tracks. Ended up buying all their albums within a month, and seriously considered getting on a plane to England to go see them live. But it never happened. :( I ended up becoming the die-hard fan, and my friend still bugs me about it whenever we meet.

What a band. I think I've seen their 'Instrument' DVD well over 20 times, and it still gives me goosebumps. There's just something about their music that touches me deeply. Still having a serious mancrush on those guys and their music well over 14 years since I first heard of them.

What I would give to be able to turn back the hands of time to see that show!

Some good tracks for people not familiar with them;

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:03 pm

big fugazi fan. when the CD format came out 13 Songs was my first CD purchase.

saw them a few times in miami and ft lauderdale. always great. would love to have a new fugazi record one day. sigh. i missed their last tour in 1997 or 98 whenever it was.. because i had to work. had i know it would be my last chance to see them play live i'd have said "FUCK work!"

Cymatics
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cymatics » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:07 pm

The Argument is my favourite album of theirs. I would have loved to heard where they would go after that. Life and Limb is gold.

chorus7
Yeah that's right

Post by chorus7 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:52 pm

Huge fan of Fugazi and Ian MacKaye… Was always a big fan of his team up with Ministry as Pailhead...

[video][/video]

oscillateur
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by oscillateur » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:05 pm

I never had an occasion to see them live but I've been a Fugazi fan since I got a cassette with 13 Songs from a friend ages ago (Waiting Room is still one of my favorite song of theirs). I don't think I'll ever get tired of their music.

cheliosheart
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cheliosheart » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:31 am

Aside from their music, they were also hugely influential in terms of their work ethics. Fugazi is the model for uncompromising self sufficiency.

Ian MacKaye is also an immensely fascinating personality to listen to. Just recently he was heavily featured in the second episode of Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways on HBO.

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:07 am

chorus7 wrote:Huge fan of Fugazi and Ian MacKaye… Was always a big fan of his team up with Ministry as Pailhead...

[video][/video]

Never liked Minor Threat/Fugazi, but i love Pailhead =o]
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq ESQ-1 . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . RE-303 . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . PCM 41 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:55 am

On certain days, there was no better band in the world.

There are other Fugazi love-threads here on the forum, so I won't re-type my love for this band. I've done so before. They were a huge part of my adolescence and guitar formation.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:22 am

cheliosheart wrote:Aside from their music, they were also hugely influential in terms of their work ethics. Fugazi is the model for uncompromising self sufficiency.

Ian MacKaye is also an immensely fascinating personality to listen to. Just recently he was heavily featured in the second episode of Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways on HBO.
Oooh, that's a great tip, thanks for the heads up! And yes! Punk ethics through and through. They generally just seem like a bunch of great guys.

Great to see so many fellow Fugazi-fans in here. I'm not surprised.

I saw The Evens in Buenos Aires once - was a great show. Would love to see them again.

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:55 am

Kent wrote:On certain days, there was no better band in the world.
:tu:

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:34 am

Very fortunate to have seen them about 8 times from 1989-99.
Best live band IMO. No set lists. Unimaginably tight.
Just about the only band I can think of that got noticeably better with each record.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:44 am

I caught these guys in Richmond VA for a FREE show they played around 2001. Obviously I was a big fan before, but they blew my mind. Two drummers, now that's fucking awesome. I froze my nuts off but it was well worth it. And I agree, the Argument is a great album. I recently bought a Rickenbacker 360 (a guitar I've lusted after for years) and Guy was a big reason my interest was peaked. These guys were revolutionaries.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:13 pm

sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sloth713 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:34 pm

Fugazi is such an out standing band. I love how they always held fast to their values and payed for all their tours and records out of their own pockets.

I have to say The Argument is my favorite album by them and No Surprise is one of my all time favorite songs.

Sadly I never got to see them live because I discovered their music after they went on hiatus. Who knows they might come back, the other year one of my other favorite band (One Minute Silence) came back after a long hiatus, so I still have a small amount of hope.

Abraxis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Abraxis » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:03 pm

Fugazi was a big deal for me too. And Pailhead is my favorite of the Al spinoff projects and is one of the few things from the Wax Trax days I still listen to regularly.

I got to see Fugazi around 89 or 90 at the Waukesha County Expo Center.

Ian has been uploading a lot (like 800) of their old shows here:

http://www.dischord.com/fugazi_live_series

Edit: here's the show I saw http://www.dischord.com/fugazi_live_ser ... -usa-61590

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:09 pm

Nice dude, thanks for sharing this.

analoglsd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by analoglsd » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:10 am

When I was a senior in high school, my girlfriend and I drove 3 hours to St. Louis, MO and 3 hours back to Dyersburg, TN, on a school night to see Fugazi.
During the first song, we were separated in the pit, and I didn't see her again until the end of the show.
Easily sweated a gallon that night.
Saw them for the first time about six months earlier in Memphis, and it was absolutely mind blowing.
I was young but had been going to rock concerts since i was in the womb, and had been sneaking into hardcore/punk/alternative shows at the Antenna Club in Memphis for over a year, but Fugazi was a completely different experience.
Super tight, bursting with energy, frenetic, and righteous.
Not self-righteous, but righteous.
They were a bit preachy, and would call people out from the stage, but who didn't worship them?(and for good reason)
All of the shows were all ages and $5. All of the albums were reasonably priced, and actually had the price printed on the jacket. They didn't sell merch. They were taking a stance, and backing it up, not only with their music, but with their business, their work ethic, and their lifestyle.(who fucking does that?)
Saw them every chance I could until they called it quits.
They were always amazing, but honestly, I can't remember every show I saw them play, but I can remember those first two shows like it was yesterday.
God, I love those guys.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:13 am

'I am a Patient Boy...' I love 13 songs. Never got to see them. But they stand out as a solid trash/punky band that had a certain sound and maxed it out in a best possible way. Very clever good songs.

Bands in a similar spectrum I found are Quicksand (album Slip - tune Head to Wall is nice) who have a higher end/sheen sound and Fudgetunnel who have a noisier little bit looser sound. I think both of these bands have similar structure to Fugazi.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

mantiwhore
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mantiwhore » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:49 am

Arguably the most influential and important band in the whole hardcore punk history, period. At least for me. I am following them since '90.
Xaoc Devices | Leidforschung Verlag | Instagram | Facebook
WTB/T: Livewire Chaos Computer, Kilpatrick Dual VCO, Dewanatron Triple Slice, Nord A1R, Elektron SPS-1 UW+ II

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:19 am

analoglsd wrote:
They were a bit preachy, and would call people out from the stage, but who didn't worship them?(and for good reason)
They'd usually call out violent people from the crowd, they (understandably) didn't want people to get injured for coming to their shows. There's an epic exchange captured on The Instrument video (highly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it), where Guy calls out a couple of "tough guys" in the crowd, culminating in him calling them "ice cream eating motherfuckers". Found it;

[video][/video]

ActionMaxVA
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ActionMaxVA » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:11 am

So great to see Fugazi get some luv here. I grew up in this era of DC hardcore. I was just young enough to miss the "revolution summer" and never got to see Rites of Spring live. However I attended more Fugazi shows than I can say and saw the band develop from a 3 piece to the 4 piece with Guy. That said Pailhead was a life changer for me because it fused my two passions in music into one. It forever gave me motivation and inspiration to merger the DC and "Industrial" sound of the late 80's early 90's. Still holds up for me when I listen, only wish there was more than 6 songs!

ngarjuna
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ngarjuna » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:28 am

Love 13 Songs! The likes of Fugazi and Bad Brains dominated my listening for a time (though I can't believe it has been over 20 years!).

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:33 am

Bad Brains. Opened the door to punk for me. Amazing band. Damn, DC was the place to be! Haha.

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:27 am

Guy was a at a tiny show I played a couple months ago.
I have dealt with mega celebrity people and could care less.
Was too star struck to talk to him!

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:06 am

Reese P. Dubin wrote:Guy was a at a tiny show I played a couple months ago.
I have dealt with mega celebrity people and could care less.
Was too star struck to talk to him!
Nice! What's he up to now anyway?

And +1 on Bad Brains. Damn, those guys could play. The solo on 'The Big Take Over' is my favorite guitar solo ever, all 10 seconds of it, just love the sound of that (get images in my head of speeding in some Delorean-like car through a city at night while listening to it). :tu:

Return to “Artist Discussion”