Fugazi

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

arpaxxe
Common Wiggler

Post by arpaxxe » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Daisuk wrote: They'd usually call out violent people from the crowd, they (understandably) didn't want people to get injured for coming to their shows. There's an epic exchange captured on The Instrument video (highly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it), where Guy calls out a couple of "tough guys" in the crowd, culminating in him calling them "ice cream eating motherfuckers".
Love this.

Saw them at some huge warehouse on the waterfront in SF in 1993. I just remember that the bass was so loud it was rattling my chest and I was in the way way back of this airplane hangar kind of place. A lot of fun. I recall they charged under $10 and I think everyone in San Francisco was there.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:33 pm

I like Fugazi, but I LOVE Rites of Spring, One Last Wish, and Happy Go Licky. All of the "revolution summer" bands a great. I have tickets for the DC premier of the documentary in a few weeks and the Soul Side and Moss Icon show. That stuff and screamy San Diego stuff (Drive Like Jehu, Antioch Arrow, Swing Kids, Heroin, Clikatat Ikatowi) is what I listen to the most. I'm so Emo Philips Core.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

booyaldy
Common Wiggler

Post by booyaldy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:11 pm

Good band. I never liked them enough

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:49 am

authorless wrote:I like Fugazi, but I LOVE Rites of Spring, One Last Wish, and Happy Go Licky. All of the "revolution summer" bands a great. I have tickets for the DC premier of the documentary in a few weeks and the Soul Side and Moss Icon show. That stuff and screamy San Diego stuff (Drive Like Jehu, Antioch Arrow, Swing Kids, Heroin, Clikatat Ikatowi) is what I listen to the most. I'm so Emo Philips Core.
Ah, yeah. Thanks for the heads up on the documentary, didn't know it was coming. :tu:

You're namedropping a hell of a lot of great bands there, mister. I'm a big Drive Like Jehu-fan, still wear my shirt every once in a while. I have this compilation record with a lot of old DC bands, 'State of the Union' something, it's brilliant. The One Last Wish-track on that is just fantastic (Undertow, I think it's called). Lots of epic tracks on that record, including Fugazi's 'In Defense of Humans', which I don't think was released on any other record.

tommaso
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommaso » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:04 pm

I've spent all of my adolescence listen them and playing guitar like a possessed... now, when I listen my bands' albums or see videos of our gigs, I feel a bit strange thinking at me in my studio with my modular synth :hihi:

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 333 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:40 am

They even came to Singapore to perform! Good memories.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Fugazi

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:31 pm

I listened to a lot of Fugazi when I was younger, saw them a few times around the Repeater album, and while I can still occasionally pop on that, “in on the kill taker” and the first album something about the incessant flat production makes it hard for me to enjoy their entire catalogue as I get older. Seems like they should of used different studios, engineers, producers...despite developing as musicians the albums seem rather stagnant sound wise. Too bad they didn’t take that offer from Eno to produce one of their albums...
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Fugazi

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:38 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:31 pm
I listened to a lot of Fugazi when I was younger, saw them a few times around the Repeater album, and while I can still occasionally pop on that, “in on the kill taker” and the first album something about the incessant flat production makes it hard for me to enjoy their entire catalogue as I get older. Seems like they should of used different studios, engineers, producers...despite developing as musicians the albums seem rather stagnant sound wise. Too bad they didn’t take that offer from Eno to produce one of their albums...
Dude, I disagree. I fucking love Fugazi. And I'm fairly certain they did it all themselves. But the Argument is next level man. I feel like there was a steady progression in terms of quality of recording and content while maintaining their vibe. But what the fuck do I know? Haha. I caught them in 2002 at an outdoor show they played at the University of Richmond. For FREE. It was freezing, but they killed it. I was a freshman in college and happened to home at the time. I didn't even know about the show, but found out last minute and I'm SO glad I went.

EDIT: I looked back and they definitely had producers on most albums. Still I suspect the recording process was not heavy on production and more meant to capture the energy of the live performance.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:51 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:38 pm
onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:31 pm
Dude, I disagree. I fucking love Fugazi. And I'm fairly certain they did it all themselves. But the Argument is next level man. I feel like there was a steady progression in terms of quality of recording and content while maintaining their vibe. But what the fuck do I know? Haha. I caught them in 2002 at an outdoor show they played at the University of Richmond. For FREE. It was freezing, but they killed it. I was a freshman in college and happened to home at the time. I didn't even know about the show, but found out last minute and I'm SO glad I went.
I think their is something a bit too insular about the Dischord bands that works for those early albums but works against a certain form of growth. I briefly looked at Wikipedia and some albums used a few of the same producers, others just them, but I think the fact that you say they did it all themselves helps to express what I was getting at. Anyways, it’s highly subjective obviously but I will try to listen to the Argument tomorrow. It doesn’t help that I get a painful nostalgia from re-listening to certain bands like Fugazi.

Lyrically tho often they were freakishly ahead of their time such as with Suggestion but that’s another topic.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:56 pm

Arpeggiator features in many of my playlists. Should really explore Fugazi more in depth, love the interlocking guitar style and their attitude. Production wise I'd agree to the incessant flat style, but again need to revisit.
Last edited by Voltcontrol on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:57 pm

My first concert was Fugazi. I crowd surfed on to the stage and then Guy Picciotto sat on me until security pulled me off stage. In the meantime, a girl in the front row pulled off my Vans chukka boot so I went home with one shoe. Great first concert experience... Their sound was amazing but so was a lot of stuff from that time. I believe that Bad Brains recorded an album in an old building and people still drool over the perfect reverb they achieved. Maybe a bit of skill and serendipity?

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:01 pm

Well, I only thought to discuss the production quality of their records but since we are at it in high school I wrote a rather embarrassing letter about a girl to Guy in relation to a Rites of Spring song and he sent me a very thoughtful reply but I immediately destroyed it.

Btw, the corduroy chukkas were the best.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:02 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:51 pm
It doesn’t help that I get a painful nostalgia from re-listening to certain bands like Fugazi.

Lyrically tho often they were freakishly ahead of their time such as with Suggestion but that’s another topic.
Yeah me too man. The Argument had a huge impact on me, there are some really powerful and unique tracks on that album. And the lyrics really are next level.

In general I think they fought hard against mainstream success and tried to stay true to their vision of what they were trying to accomplish as a band. I don't need or like heavy production on everything I listen to. I appreciate it for what it is. And for some reason I imagine producing a Fugazi album was very different from producing other albums in that I feel like the band was probably more actively involved in the process. I could be completely wrong.

That said I would love to see them get back together and record some new stuff with the modern benefits.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:10 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:02 pm
onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:51 pm
It doesn’t help that I get a painful nostalgia from re-listening to certain bands like Fugazi.

Yeah me too man. The Argument had a huge impact on me, there are some really powerful and unique tracks on that album. And the lyrics really are next level.

In general I think they fought hard against mainstream success and tried to stay true to their vision of what they were trying to accomplish as a band. I don't need or like heavy production on everything I listen to. I appreciate it for what it is. And for some reason I imagine producing a Fugazi album was very different from producing other albums in that I feel like the band was probably more actively involved in the process. I could be completely wrong.

That said I would love to see them get back together and record some new stuff with the modern benefits.
Yea, maybe my criticism is a bit asinine, as if I want them to be something they aren’t. Likely I have aged faster than they have, age not being an indicator of growth.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:17 pm

"Those DIY bands would sound great overproduced by Martin Hannett" :hihi:

apcuddling
Common Wiggler

Post by apcuddling » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:43 pm

I'm on the side that I personally love the production. I think it's a style in and of itself that yields well to the band, whether it was intentional or not. Things happen and exist in a time and place and sometimes we get a record of it and sometimes we don't. Sometimes the purpose may be to capture an entirely different aspect of the band's performance capabilities and artistry that is entirely separate from a live setting. Wilco's 'A Ghost Is Born' is a great example of this. The album sounds very sparse, bare, and lacking. Almost mono sometimes. But the live performance, even though the arrangements are more or less the same, is much more dynamic and intense. Not to say that this is what Fugazi was going for, but just my two cents.

Off topic, Ian MacKaye ended up producing/mixing one of my favorite albums - Black Eyes' Self Titled.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:04 pm

I feel like the production suits their aesthetic. Big fancy production would have sounded kind of corny on them.

They did start recording In On The Kill Taker with Steve Albini and were displeased with it so went back to Inner Ear to record it.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:37 am

I... don't think I want to hear a Brian Eno/Fugazi collab

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:32 am

Fugazi rules and the new Coriky ain’t bad either, should one desire a little trip down nostalgia avenue.

However, please do a search for obvious stuff before creating a topic that is likely already on MW topic that is likely already on MW. I merged these together.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:11 am

This thread is all out of order... (literally... now I realize it was merged with a previously thread)

I once got chided once by someone from Fugazi or maybe a roadie for scalping tickets outside of a show when I was in high school. I knew the kids I was selling to could afford more than $5.
Last edited by onthebandwagon on Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:16 am

Daisuk wrote:
Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:49 am
authorless wrote:I like Fugazi, but I LOVE Rites of Spring, One Last Wish, and Happy Go Licky. All of the "revolution summer" bands a great. I have tickets for the DC premier of the documentary in a few weeks and the Soul Side and Moss Icon show. That stuff and screamy San Diego stuff (Drive Like Jehu, Antioch Arrow, Swing Kids, Heroin, Clikatat Ikatowi) is what I listen to the most. I'm so Emo Philips Core.
Ah, yeah. Thanks for the heads up on the documentary, didn't know it was coming. :tu:

You're namedropping a hell of a lot of great bands there, mister. I'm a big Drive Like Jehu-fan, still wear my shirt every once in a while. I have this compilation record with a lot of old DC bands, 'State of the Union' something, it's brilliant. The One Last Wish-track on that is just fantastic (Undertow, I think it's called). Lots of epic tracks on that record, including Fugazi's 'In Defense of Humans', which I don't think was released on any other record.
Let’s not forget Ignition and Soulside... Soon Come Happy might be one of the better produced Dischord albums.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:17 am

IanEye
Common Wiggler

version to version

Post by IanEye » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:17 am

I always enjoyed this take of theirs on an old Marillion tune.

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:29 am

Seen them live many times in the era of Waiting Room, Repeater, etc (as well as Minor Threat before that). Big fan and amazing live, but Ian MacKaye can be a bit preachy at shows.

mtts
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mtts » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:29 am

Love their albums, but the only time I saw them live it was a disappointment. Lots of preaching prevented any sort of atmosphere from happening and if that wasn’t bad enough halfway through they made the venue turn the lights on. Completely tone deaf.

But, like I said, I like their albums and I like them more the older I get.

Return to “Artist Discussion”