RA Sessions: Surgeon - Modular techno, live and improvised

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

komprezzor
Common Wiggler

Post by komprezzor » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:29 pm

Really interesting setup, lots of Respect for the Surgeon persona and your artistic contributions to Techno, to be able see you ride along with amazing transitions and improvising the whole time gives me hope as I just started to build my first synthesizer, I was super impressed by how much you can accomplish with such compact rack,a quick question, do you find the Disting to be a must have for any compact setup due to it's multi functionality in such small body?

magneticweb
Common Wiggler

Post by magneticweb » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:17 pm

Uncle Johnny's Delite :agonizer: :buchla: :agonizer:

Libra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Libra » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:57 pm

Nice set. Curious as to where the uFold comes into play in the rig? Distortion for drums?
Last edited by Libra on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

komprezzor
Common Wiggler

Post by komprezzor » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:59 pm

Another question for Tony, how are you sequencing the VCO's?

Libra
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Libra » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:22 pm

turing machine into uscale most likely. mults it to each vco

komprezzor
Common Wiggler

Post by komprezzor » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:03 pm

Libra wrote:turing machine into uscale most likely. mults it to each vco
Thank you man!!

youknowiloveyou
Common Wiggler

Post by youknowiloveyou » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:08 pm

a LOT of people ask me about the very lightweight, strong modular case that I've been touring with for the past year.
They finally have a website- http://submodularsystems.com/

Highly recommended.

GZHN27
Common Wiggler

Post by GZHN27 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Very awesome session! always loved your music :D I am very curious about your kicks though, do they really all come from the Hexinverter Bassdrum?? sounds very badass.

haroldb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by haroldb » Tue May 03, 2016 8:53 am

Thanks for this inspiring video Tony - I love your work

I just received a Circadian Rhythms and I have a problem as I'm trying to sync it to Ableton using Clock In / red light for clk in -> global = DAW.

I've calculated the latency of Ableton and tried to adapt it.

I still have a delay and I'm not sure how you do to sync it from the start of a loop in ableton without using the Reset In ?
As it's not starting at the beginning of the sequence on Circadian Rhythms

Sorry if I'm not clear and thanks for your help :)

lovemyg2butneedmore
1-Post Wiggler

Post by lovemyg2butneedmore » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:28 pm

Tony, are there news about the case yet?

orbita
Wiggling with Experience

Post by orbita » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:09 am

Interesting to see Surgeon recently starting using the Octatrack more than just for looping and replacing the modular with a Leploop for the "melodic" side.

Curious if that's resulted in more or less scope for improvised sounds/melodies.

Is it a case of less scope but being more in control?

If you're reading this Tony I'd be curious to know..

- Are you still using the octatrack's looper to record and overdub the Leploop?
- Do you edit anything pattern/sound related on the octatrack when you play or is it just pattern switching, muting and mixing changes?
- What do you miss most from not having the the modular there?
- How many pre-prepared patterns are you using in the octatrack?
- How long a set can you play for before you feel like you start running out of material/ideas?

Love your work!
Tom

MRoyce
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MRoyce » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:57 am

There's a recent, really good interview about his live sets on resident advisor, even has a few videos: https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3526

orbita
Wiggling with Experience

Post by orbita » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:44 am

MRoyce wrote:There's a recent, really good interview about his live sets on resident advisor, even has a few videos: https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3526

Yes, I read that too - very interesting it was - that's partly what prompted my post on here.

youknowiloveyou
Common Wiggler

Post by youknowiloveyou » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:33 am

Hi Tom. Haven't logged in for well over a year! (have been lurking though)
orbita wrote:- Are you still using the octatrack's looper to record and overdub the Leploop?
No, but the Leploop audio is running through the Octatrack and I'm processing it with the Octatrack filter and delay effects.
orbita wrote:- Do you edit anything pattern/sound related on the octatrack when you play or is it just pattern switching, muting and mixing changes?
Pattern switching and muting, but I am controlling a lot of Octotrack parameters via MIDI cc from the Faderfox. It's surprising how much you can do with filter and delay.
orbita wrote:- What do you miss most from not having the the modular there?
Difficult to answer that. I really enjoy experimenting with new ideas and new configurations for live sets. All have different advantages and disadvantages. I've begun to really appreciate quirky, well designed instruments. Using those together in different ways as opposed to building an instrument with eurorack.
orbita wrote:- How many pre-prepared patterns are you using in the octatrack?
I've got 16 rhythm patterns programmed, but I rarely use them all. I often change them live.
orbita wrote:- How long a set can you play for before you feel like you start running out of material/ideas?
60 - 90 minutes. That's why I don't play live for longer than that.

There's a LOT of technical info and ideas behind live performance and improvisation in the recent interview https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3526 as was already mentioned.
For me, techno live performances need to have a really solid, reliable foundation yet still flexible so I can add the more crazy stuff over the top. Otherwise they loose that really functional and physical part of techno. There's been a lot of trial and error, but this current techno setup is very compact, flexible and sounds really powerful.

The 'abstract' live sets (also covered in the interview) can be a lot wilder.

orbita
Wiggling with Experience

Post by orbita » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:11 am

Hi!

Thanks for taking the time to do those interviews and reply here. Really useful to see the culmination of yours and others' experimentations and journeys.

I've experienced myself and seen others hit that paralysis of wondering what to do next live when you have too many options available and not enough practice on your equipment. There's clearly a nice balance to be had between freedom and being in control.

I've been playing with combining an Ableton setup with controllers and a bit of modular. The cabling and routing can be a lot to keep track of. It's understandable a lot of people try to get away from this.

On the modular side, it's definitely tricky to come up with a compact and manageable modular setup that offers voices, mixing and sequencing. It's fun but gets expensive fast and you often only discover what you need after having bought something that's not quite right.

Anyway, Happy Chrimbo!
Hope to meet you one day.

Best, Tom

Return to “Artist Discussion”