albums/recordings made with buchla?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:25 pm

Here is the link to an edited (9min version of the 30 minute version released on a split cassette) All Buchla used to simulate my lovely childhood days and nights listening to shortwave radio before I really knew what electronic music was.
viewtopic.php?t=81916&sid=5ff0dc602cf76 ... a27f52725b

Also Buchla features heavily on these 2 albums

(the 2 above also feature Serge, Euro, Moog, DSI etc)

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:10 pm

Andy Ortmann's new cassette Buchla on Tape is also great!

We also have a few Buchla albums on our Vicmod Records label

Shasta Cults

Post by Shasta Cults » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:55 am

Karl Fousek recorded with my Buchlas but to my knowledge hasn't released that material yet.

Music easel is on every track of my former bands 2009 release on amen absen:

https://vonbingen.bandcamp.com/releases

I'm currently working on a solo cassette release as well as a full length LP.. some old clips are here:

https://soundcloud.com/shastacults

Shasta Cults

Post by Shasta Cults » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:56 am

:ripbanana:

Roland Kuit
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Roland Kuit » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:34 pm

Tectonic Articulations of Colour - Roland Emile Kuit

iTunes
Microsoft
Presto Classical

Hardcopy here:
Donemus
Omega Point Japan

Nanophonic Similarities - Roland Emile Kuit

iTunes
Amazon
Presto Classical

Hardcopy here:
Donemus
Omega Point Japan

All works Buchla 200/Kyma
Last edited by Roland Kuit on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

mIgmOd
Common Wiggler

Post by mIgmOd » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:18 pm

Jon Hassell's Vernal Equinox was mentioned twice in this thread, so, since I played on the album and was present for all of its recording, I thought I'd mentioned how Buchla modules were used. The use of the Buchla was all in the processing, or "Buchla Alterations," of Jon's trumpet. David Rosenboom set up a patch where the dynamics of Jon's playing controlled an envelope follower that controlled the shape of a 281 loop that then controlled the filtering of the trumpet going through a 292. A simple but very interactive patch. No Buchla oscillators were used; the drone was created on a Serge system. Other "alterations" came from an Arp 2500.

I had actually totally forgot there was any Buchla on this recording until this thread jogged my memory. It was 40 years ago, after all! The album was recorded at the York University, Toronto, Electronic Music Studio during my sophomore year there. I went on to play on four more of Jon's albums over the next 8 years or so.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:41 pm

^ Thanks for the insight. I really like his trumpet with the old analog processing even more than the AMS/Harmonized Eno years. Much more 'organic' as we like to say. Vernal Equinoxe is my fave album by far for Hassell.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

syntactical
Learning to Wiggle

Post by syntactical » Thu May 05, 2016 9:55 pm

+1 for Donnacha Costello. This song is reeeeeally nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixWpeeUlQ1A

Vin Il D'ciple
1-Post Wiggler

Re: albums/recordings made with buchla?

Post by Vin Il D'ciple » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:29 pm

Buffy Sainte-Marie was the first artist to record an album with vocals processed through a Buchla 100, "illuminations" (1969):

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/bu ... minations/

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:25 pm

...and of course:

Lovely album, one of the highlights of the year.

tim gueguen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tim gueguen » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:38 am

Canadian free improv group CCMC's albums CCMC - Volume 4 - Free Soap and Without a Song both include Buchla equipment of some sort. Circa 1980 photos show what I'm guessing is a Buchla Touche. Good luck finding copies, as they apparently never made it to CD.

chachi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chachi » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:30 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:25 pm
...and of course:

Lovely album, one of the highlights of the year.
thanks for this. when the strings started i thought this was going to be very different than what it turned out to be. glad i stuck with it, great record.

Fastus
Better safe than sober

Re:

Post by Fastus » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:53 am

de_raaf wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:27 pm
may favorite buchla record Dariush Dolat-Shahi ‎– Otashgah: Place Of Fire lp 1986 on folkways, still gettable on cd'r from folkways, or downloadable on archive or ubuweb, still hope to get lp version though its spendy
DDS's earlier record did it for me, the more prosaically titled "Electronic Music, Tar And Sehtar" - absolutely seminal work - so you might want to check that out also. Saw a shrink-wrapped copy at Academy Records when they were in Williamsburg years ago for $50. Discogs shows a UK vinyl re-issue for reasonable prices

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3997176?ev=rb
"If fame is a penthouse in Manhattan, you're living in a yurt in Mongolia" - C. Berton Irwin

NEW EP: https://fastus.bandcamp.com/album/terra-incognito
www.soundcloud.com/fastus
www.soundcloud.com/problivion

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:49 am

chachi wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:30 pm
thanks for this. when the strings started i thought this was going to be very different than what it turned out to be. glad i stuck with it, great record.
Oh, so glad you enjoyed it. It evolves into a really tight and focused banger after a while, but it feels like a shame to warn people :sb:

He got his start when Don Buchla sent him a small system almost unsolicited, on approval. The story is extremely cool:
What initially made you go with the West Coast modular system rather than Eurorack?

“Because it looked cool! [laughs]. Bear in mind that I was 18 and just got to uni and had a little job. I saw a picture of a Buchla 200e and thought, ‘that looks sick’. I called them up and it was actually Don Buchla who picked up the phone and he told me to start off small with three modules… an oscillator, an envelope generator and a filter. He asked if I had a mixer, which I did, so I could get the audio out and monitor it.

A few weeks later, this little modular synth arrived [laughs] even though I’d not agreed to buy it! A couple of weeks later I called and told him how brilliant it was and he said, ‘do you want it?’ so I paid for it then.

Fast forward to 15 years later and I’ve amassed a full rack here, two touring racks and three other cases of different sizes. It’s a format I’ve grown to love… more so than Eurorack and I think that’s because I know it so much better. But also, it’s all largely made by one manufacturer, so there’s a consistency to the way it works.”

You do have various choice bits of Eurorack dotted around the place too, though?

“I’ve got some wicked Make Noise stuff and various other Eurorack modules but I don’t really know what it does as I don’t spend enough time with it. Maybe I’m giving Eurorack a hard time but it’s entirely my fault as I’m just a little frustrated with it. I’m just not getting on with it.”
(from https://www.musicradar.com/news/floatin ... -pointless)

Return to “Artist Discussion”