Looking for albums made on a small modular

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

boxxgrooved
Veteran Wiggler

Looking for albums made on a small modular

Post by boxxgrooved » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:44 am

Anyone know of any artists or albums who created their music using a small modular, perhaps just one oscillator and a few other tricks (but not limited to that).

I have been experimenting with just 64HP of Doepfer modules and is has surprised me the variety and diversity of patches you can achieve when forced into getting creative. This has sparked a curiosity in music created on small modulars.

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Looking for albums made on a small modular

Post by MarcelP » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:59 am

boxxgrooved wrote:Anyone know of any artists or albums who created their music using a small modular, perhaps just one oscillator and a few other tricks (but not limited to that).

I have been experimenting with just 64HP of Doepfer modules and is has surprised me the variety and diversity of patches you can achieve when forced into getting creative. This has sparked a curiosity in music created on small modulars.
Does a small modular multi-tracked count as a creating with small modular? Or an ensemble playing multiple small modulars? Or are you interested in only a single small modular “live”? How about a small modular but controlled by a computer/DAW - that would be different too.

Sorry for being a pedant, but...

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:34 am

Nathan Moody's Études I: Blue Box album is always the first thing I think of when I am considering what one can do with a single case of modules.

I think his "Blue Box" was limited to just those nine modules with some 1u utilities and that Sputnik keyboard.

bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bedhed3000 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:09 am

Here is an album done on a lunchbox sized eurorack, run by a Python script.

Pretty interesting idea. Seems like most of the sounds are sample-based (Radio Music) so it might not be the type of thing you are after.

boxxgrooved
Veteran Wiggler

Post by boxxgrooved » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:00 pm

Thanks for the replies, that Moody stuff is good. I am definitely interested in compositional multitracked recordings of abstract stuff building up layers using simple modules, I'm not so bothered about digital modules.

There used to be a guy over at the Gas Station years ago called John Mitchell who used to make tracks this way building up soundscapes with basic modules. His work is inspiring, you can get an idea of of his work by listening to this https://synthesizers.com/artists/john_m ... t440hz.mp3

If you know anymore albums with this sort of composition I would be interested to know[/url]

namshub
Common Wiggler

Post by namshub » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:13 am

I believe I read that Caterina Barbieri's first LP was just a Verbos Harmonic Osc & utilites...

https://www.discogs.com/Caterina-Barbie ... er/1171826

anomie
Common Wiggler

Post by anomie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Smoo's Traffic in My Soul springs to my admittedly unreliable memory. I seem to recall Grant Richter saying it was created with a minimal number of VCOs, filters, and a lot of careful programming.

boxxgrooved
Veteran Wiggler

Post by boxxgrooved » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:14 pm

anomie wrote:Smoo's Traffic in My Soul springs to my admittedly unreliable memory. I seem to recall Grant Richter saying it was created with a minimal number of VCOs, filters, and a lot of careful programming.
Smoo! There's a name I've not heard since the Gas Station years. I remeber him posting demos of stuff made with a Swiss modular company but I forget the name of the company. They made great sounding stuff, I seem to remember they made a small desktop monosynth which sounded great.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:55 pm

boxxgrooved wrote: a Swiss modular company but I forget the name of the company. They made great sounding stuff, I seem to remember they made a small desktop monosynth which sounded great.
Technosaurus.

hermbot
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hermbot » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:17 pm

I released an album on what is probably considered a pretty small rig:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/582718

The link is in my sign just down below:

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:34 pm

This was done on a 6u, which is tiny for me :woah:
I spent weeks squishing my patch down to fit into such a small size.

johnchantler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnchantler » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:51 am

I think Rafael Toral's excellent Space series generally used a very small doepfer rig.

boxxgrooved
Veteran Wiggler

Post by boxxgrooved » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:21 pm

thetwlo wrote: Technosaurus.
Thanks for reminding me. I used to drool over the Microcon, I could never afford a full blown Technosaurus modular back then. The Microcon was expensive also for what it was, with the rise of analogue the choice available to us now is great.

Thanks also to those who have provided links and suggestions to music, will certainly be taking a look.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:51 pm

Cortini's FORSE albums are all Music Easel if you wanna include semi modular.

StrangeAttraction
Common Wiggler

Post by StrangeAttraction » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:52 am

Actually, the lastest James Holden record "The Animal Spirits" was created on a small modular.

While not exclusively a modular record (there are plenty of acoustic instruments), all the electronic sounds seem to have come from a small purposefully built case (about 7u, 92HP) according to some interviews I've watched with James. Oh, there's plenty of Max magic sauce thrown in...but PC ain't cheating if you're using Max! ;)
boxxgrooved wrote:Anyone know of any artists or albums who created their music using a small modular, perhaps just one oscillator and a few other tricks (but not limited to that).

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:25 am

Yeah. James Holden's new record. He uses a small setup live, too. It's pretty interesting. For example on some tracks the drummer clocks/triggers the modular.

And then there's the Shared System series by Makenoise records...

smoo
Common Wiggler

Post by smoo » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:23 am

Hello guys... thanks. Yes I was there in Gas Station..

I produced traffic in my Soul almost entirely on my first 6 Wiard 300 Modules. Sequantizer, 1 Classic VCO, 1 Waveform City, 1 The Filter (later I also had an Omni), the first Filter did not had Q-Compensation. Then a Envelator and a Mixolator. Later I bought another 2 VCOs, a Borg and another Envelator and a Wogglebug. Still have all of them.

I always had a Blacet sitting next to it with almost all modules. Still my favorite patch is: Two sine Wiard VCOs into a Klangwerk (best Ringmod ever), both Sines controlled with a Joystick, then into a VCA and into Time Machine - controlled by another Joystick. If you start using tge Sequantizer near audio clocked and a Omni Highpass (on the last Joystick axis) it gers crayzy, but beautiful. This is the reason I love Wiard. It sounds beautiful even if its pushed to the limits. And thats why Grant Richter is for me the geatest creators of synths ever. IMHO, for me no other synth has that sound. Every Bass sound and every Leadsound in Traffic in my Soul is Wiard300. Some pads too, but they are Multisampled Wiard Sounds.

Today I also have a big eurorack, but lacking the sound of wiard. Most of my eurorack modules are digital.

Yes I did some demos for Technosaurus and once I made demos at Musikmesse. I had a System, but beeing honest, I only liked the filter and the VCA. All modules had mistakes like clicking (Env-VCA) or lacking Range. I would never buy a Technosaurus System, they are also almost impossible to maintain, as you cannot read which ICs have been used.

Smoo, (Olivier)

Claude
Common Wiggler

Post by Claude » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:00 am

Angelo Vicente Jr's "Negative Feedback" on the Game of Life label uses a Serge ResEq and a Doepfer spring reverb module only.

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:23 am

smoo wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:23 am
Hello guys... thanks. Yes I was there in Gas Station..

I produced traffic in my Soul almost entirely on my first 6 Wiard 300 Modules. Sequantizer, 1 Classic VCO, 1 Waveform City, 1 The Filter (later I also had an Omni), the first Filter did not had Q-Compensation. Then a Envelator and a Mixolator. Later I bought another 2 VCOs, a Borg and another Envelator and a Wogglebug. Still have all of them.

I always had a Blacet sitting next to it with almost all modules. Still my favorite patch is: Two sine Wiard VCOs into a Klangwerk (best Ringmod ever), both Sines controlled with a Joystick, then into a VCA and into Time Machine - controlled by another Joystick. If you start using tge Sequantizer near audio clocked and a Omni Highpass (on the last Joystick axis) it gers crayzy, but beautiful. This is the reason I love Wiard. It sounds beautiful even if its pushed to the limits. And thats why Grant Richter is for me the geatest creators of synths ever. IMHO, for me no other synth has that sound. Every Bass sound and every Leadsound in Traffic in my Soul is Wiard300. Some pads too, but they are Multisampled Wiard Sounds.

Today I also have a big eurorack, but lacking the sound of wiard. Most of my eurorack modules are digital.

Yes I did some demos for Technosaurus and once I made demos at Musikmesse. I had a System, but beeing honest, I only liked the filter and the VCA. All modules had mistakes like clicking (Env-VCA) or lacking Range. I would never buy a Technosaurus System, they are also almost impossible to maintain, as you cannot read which ICs have been used.

Smoo, (Olivier)
thx for the explanation!!

can you post/PM me a link to find your music? found a couple tracks on youtube but would like to buy the whole album

tim gueguen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tim gueguen » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:33 am

This might not quite be what you're looking for, but Mike Hankinson's The Unusual Classical Synthesizer from 1971 was done with an EMS VCS3.

Return to “Artist Discussion”