Jarre - Equinoxe Infinity

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

PYJAMAGROOVE
Wiggling with Experience

Jarre - Equinoxe Infinity

Post by PYJAMAGROOVE » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:08 am

As a huge fan of Jarre I have been very excited (but after Oxygene 3 a bit worried) about this. Equinoxe is my favorite album of his.
After one hearing I have mixed feelings. Bad mostly. It does not feel like JMJ anymore. It's too sterile and digital. Not enough LPF and saturation. And JMJ is the master of LPF....Sounds lack texture too.
There are parts of this album that I like but most of it I really hate....feels like elevator music or a demo of a toy keyboard.

I would like to be wrong. Can someone prove that I am? Please...

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:35 am

I quite enjoyed it when I listened to it. Sure, it won't be regarded as a classic, but not many artists who have been around as long as he has will release a classic album at this stage of their career.

I thought the best parts were those where he was trying to follow the style of the original, although some would see that as being contrived! I also detected more than once hints of the Bladerunner 2049 score in there.

Sorry I can't prove you're wrong, except to say I thought it was ok. :despair:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:34 am

I just did a quick scan of the album. The first half sounds like an inferior version of Sasha and Digweed's Northern Exposure intro, the middle sounds like Europop/trance and bits of the rest just sound generic and tired - I couldn't be bothered listening in detail.

Load of rubbish basically.

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:11 pm

hmm you'd think someone with as much free time & gear as JMJ has, would be releasing some real masterpieces

I can only dream of how creative I could be, if I didn't have to spend so much time working and surviving day to day.

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:53 pm

umma gumma wrote:hmm you'd think someone with as much free time & gear as JMJ has, would be releasing some real masterpieces

I can only dream of how creative I could be, if I didn't have to spend so much time working and surviving day to day.
It's funny that you think lots of free time and loads of gear would make someone creative.

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:33 am

free time = freedom to create

P.O.L.
Learning to Wiggle

Post by P.O.L. » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:04 am

I was pleasantly surprised; certainly not an all time great, but a good, updated homage to the original. Having listened a few time snow, I feel the main reason it's not a patch on the original is the lack of melodies - there's nothing like E4 on this album. There's also a lack of strong sequencer lines like E6. Infinity is more like the bridge parts and other filler, but still enjoyable...
Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so.

Douglas Adams.

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:54 am

umma gumma wrote:free time = freedom to create
This plus plenty of money in your bank account = no pressing mundane existential needs = even more creative freedom.

As for the rest, I tend to agree with @pyjamagroove and @dubonair.

Stephen

JX3
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Jarre - Equinoxe Infinity

Post by JX3 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:22 am

Equinoxe Infinity was the most-frequent album in my listening rotation last summer. I liked it so much, in fact, that I bought Oxygene 3 as supplemental listening (having already heard it via YouTube, and not moved to buy it on its own merits).

Am I saying it's great? Not quite. But it's reasonably good and a welcome addition. Equinoxe was my favorite Jarre album, so it was sorta irksome to see Oxygene get another sequel, while Equinoxe was neglected ... must be because Equinoxe was so perfect, right?

Anyway: Infinity is not exactly Equinoxe, but (like Chronologie) it gets to some similar places. I wouldn't want it to be too similar -- that was the most glaring fault of Oxygene 7-13. And I appreciate the differences. Does some of it sound Europop? Yes, but that's always been part of Jarre's world: both Oxygene and Equinoxe (and Les Chants) started off side 2 with something accessible and danceable -- Jarre knows that making art is fine, but only as long as your gf can dig it. Which is appropriate, since a gift from his gf was what prompted the original Oxygene album (thank you Ms. Rampling).

Both O3 and Infinity suffer some tracks that don't quite 'get there' -- as if J-M just couldn't figure out a way to realize their full potential that wasn't a repetition of earlier work, so just left them as they were (Parts 15 & 16 from Oxygene; "Robots Don't Cry" from Infinity). And I don't even want to talk about "If the Wind Could Speak", which sounds like a soundtrack for a Tokyo red-light district. But both albums have excellent side-2 stretches, each with at least one sublime moment (admitting that Infinity's final track should have been cut around two minutes, the rest being filler).

Ultimately I'm not concerned with whether or not JMJ's latest album equals/exceeds his earlier works, which -- after all -- he already did (and weren't universally regarded so highly at the time). I'm only interested in whether or not they get me some place that feels worthwhile. Part of the enjoyment is hearing how he's woven pieces of the original into the sequel (but without copying quite so directly as he did on Oxygene 7-13). The transition from "Infinity" through "Machines Are Learning" uses that familiar Geiss sequencing but goes somewhere different, but the result is just as logical. When this pays off into "The Opening" I almost always stop what I'm doing and just listen.

"Don't Look Back" is almost jarring, placed so abruptly after "The Opening" -- but what else could follow, really? It doesn't feel quite so Equinoxe-ish but more like something he had lying around with nowhere to go ... but now that it's here, it has a place to be. At first I thought I'd remove it, but I've gotten used to it. Like the first three tracks from the original Equinoxe, it has no drums; maybe it does belong. Listening to it today, I remembered how I initially had to adjust to Les Chants Magnetiques, being so aggressive compared to the two albums before. So it's alright to branch out, do something a little different.

It's just pop music really -- just like Oxygene was -- but I find it gets me some place Jarre-ish that I want to go. Not sorry at all to have bought two copies.
Roland: System 8, D-50, JP-8080, JV-1080 TB-3, TR-8, Juno-D. Yamaha: MX61, DX7ii/TX7, AN200, Reface CS. Korg Odyssey, CX-3, MS-20. Sledge, Ion, Minibrute, Boog.

Synthacon
Common Wiggler

Post by Synthacon » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:43 am

I have to say, it's my favourite album from the last 20 years or so that he has done. Some nice moments etc.

The original is a masterpiece and should provide inspiration of what can be done with "minimal" equipment compared with what can be done today with a DAW etc.
You always want just one more synth

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:56 am

doombient.music wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:54 am
This plus plenty of money in your bank account = no pressing mundane existential needs = even more creative freedom.

Stephen
Mundane existential needs are fertilizer for creativity.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by doombient.music » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:02 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:56 am
doombient.music wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:54 am

Stephen
Mundane existential needs are fertilizer for creativity.
What mundane existential needs does a millionaire have?

That much about what fuels creativity. In this particular case.

Stephen

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:11 am

They still need to take a shit, which I suppose could also be regarded as fertiliser for creativity.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:20 am

Fog Door wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:11 am
They still need to take a shit, which I suppose could also be regarded as fertiliser for creativity.
It worked for GG Allin.

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:43 am

It worked for GG Allin.
True, it could work for JMJ too, but pretty sure there would a lot more lasers

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:51 am

Fog Door wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:43 am
It worked for GG Allin.
True, it could work for JMJ too, but pretty sure there would a lot more lasers
No need to get vulgar.

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:53 am

Hey, he's old and rich, of course he's no longer as driven or "on" as he used to be.

He came to this planet and made weird synth music at a time when it wasn't cool, his work here is done, he owes us nothing. Yes, I am biased, as someone who had to grub around for decent electronic music as a kid- I still remember a NEW ALBUM coming out and being so excited. I must have rinsed "Revolutions" sooo much as a schoolkid, and bitterly resented not being able to afford to go and see the Docklands concert....

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:04 pm

iircc Docklands concert was broadcast live on British TV, and this in the days when there were only 4 channels! JMJ was such a big deal then.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:43 pm

I think for anyone, it can be hard to keep your enthusiasm when you get older (even with music) or so I thought—this forum seems to prove the opposite though, and Jarre through his interviews etc. seems to still be very passionate even if not actively releasing things.

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:12 pm

I think enthusiasm is one quality his more contemporary work is not lacking, at times it sounds almost mindlessly so. So hard to comment without some degree of generalisation but I don't think hardcore synth enthusiasts have been anywhere near his target audience for a long, long time. I adore his "classic" albums, but until he started rehashing Oxygene/Equinox some of the music he had been producing was IMO amongst the most pathetic, worthless, shallow music I have ever heard, truly base. No doubt, there are legions of people who love that stuff and I'm pretty sure JMJ would not care what I think and neither would they. I could listen to the Oxygene sequels and enjoy them, I don't think Equinox Infinity is as strong but I'm sure JMJ would have been pleased with it. I'm not holding my breath for his noise/drone album, put it that way.

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:21 pm

Fog Door wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:11 am
They still need to take a shit, […]
Hey, they might even release this as their latest record…

Stephen

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:23 pm

What is that slappy sounding percussion on Oxygene p.5 made with?

Return to “Artist Discussion”