Aphex Twin on the Rephlex years

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Countcowden
Common Wiggler

Re: Aphex Twin on the Rephlex years

Post by Countcowden » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:59 am

Agreed - what a time to be alive - acid music was played at my first high school disco and lots of people had the famous smiley face tshirt.

There’s a bit on wiki about how that infamous Detroit CD that was released in the UK due to be called Detroit house but was changed to Detroit techno.

However Imo I don’t think the Detroit guys were ever in doubt it was called techno and not house.

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:52 pm

Countcowden wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:59 am
However Imo I don’t think the Detroit guys were ever in doubt it was called techno and not house.
Page 68 of Techno Rebels by Dan Sicko covers that. In his telling the name just happened. Also, it wasn't simply a Chicago House -- Detroit Techno spectrum, e.g. Jeff Mills incorporating Hip-hop influences in his radio guise as The Wizard, or The Electrifying Mojo playing Kraftwerk, Parliament,etc.
nuromantix wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:08 am
At the time there wasn't much distinction between house and techno except techno seemed to be house music specifically from a place called Detroit.
At what time? Things change quickly when lots of people have their imaginations captured by something and are being creative. P.70 of Techno Rebels makes the distinction between the music that became techno and the trajectory of techno as it blew up and mutated internationally, and claims that the word 'techno' came to be associated somewhat negatively in America with the faster-paced and harsher sounds that were part of its European development.

I was 18 in 1994, a wee bit late for this, so I was used to this harsher, darker, faster music, but the best night I remember was Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson playing together on 4 decks and 2 mixers at Pure in 2001. It was techno as I recognised it, but I'd never heard it played that slow. It was really powerful, soulful, inspiring. And they were up on the gallery on the east side of the main room of Studio 24 = no hero worshipping (no taking pictures with mobiles then) because you could hardly see them anyway, and on with the dancing! I recall there was a black guy in fairly elaborate African tribal costume on the dancefloor most of the night. Pretty sure I wasn't tripping.

Personally, what I have a hard time getting my head round is lumping stuff like Nite Drive Thru Babylon in with Techno. To me it sounds like a guy from a previous generation into European stuff like Kraftwerk, Moroder, Italo, etc. Ironic, given he's supposed to have been the inspiration for the name.

Techno Rebels is also good on techno's gestation through the high school parties, Ken Collier, etc. Good read.

Edit: A lot of those guys were into Prog., e.g. Electrifying Mojo, UR, I'm guessing James Stinson was as well, but in Europe it just wasn't like that.
He throws the ink first and works out what it is later. "I've got to turn that into parrots." - Ralph Steadman

nuromantix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:48 pm

I meant to listeners in the UK 88-90 since we are talking about the influences of a musician about the same age as me. There wasn't the internet to find out about stuff. There weren't 1000 micro genres of dance music. It was pretty new, and compared to, say, indie or pop or rock music, Detroit records sounded very similar to house records from Chicago and elsewhere. Of course they had their own style, but then Chicago was already extremely varied from emotional Mr Fingers / Virgo thru to banging Mike Dunn / Dance Mania or very intense acid stuff, so techno just seemed like another element of the same movement. It was played in the same places and found on the same compilations.

IanEye
Common Wiggler

machine washed

Post by IanEye » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:29 pm

nuromantix wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:48 pm
emotional Mr Fingers

Cheers.

Countcowden
Common Wiggler

Post by Countcowden » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:03 pm

Yes genres always lead to discussions 😀 nuromantix and probably most people didn’t distinguish.

Ear Ear think you are referring to this and we must be the same age - The dancer was a regular at pure events even if he didn’t always wear his costume at least according to one of my mates.

That night is in my top three nights in a club, found the flyer for it, in my parents attic when I was back a while ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ear ear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ear ear » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:12 pm

That flyer's been on my wall ever since. :)
He throws the ink first and works out what it is later. "I've got to turn that into parrots." - Ralph Steadman

L13
Common Wiggler

Post by L13 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:22 pm

those were the days...........and i miss them

vqlk
Ultra Wiggler

Post by vqlk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:17 pm

L13 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:22 pm
the whole detroit techno mythos -- what / the little i know about it anyway i mean -- is insane... i used to feel like all contemporary music was under its sway / aegis, party due to how influential it's been -- how you can't really escape 'techno' broadly thought now. i don't feel that way anymore, but that's not to say it's not the case huh
muffs is weird

L13
Common Wiggler

Post by L13 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:28 pm

vqlk wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:17 pm
L13 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:22 pm
the whole detroit techno mythos -- what / the little i know about it anyway i mean -- is insane... i used to feel like all contemporary music was under its sway / aegis, party due to how influential it's been -- how you can't really escape 'techno' broadly thought now. i don't feel that way anymore, but that's not to say it's not the case huh
it's like tattoos
they were kinda outlaw at one time
now cops got full sleeves

Return to “Artist Discussion”