Old Industrial

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Old Industrial

Post by MindMachine » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:25 pm

Let me start by saying I have no real definition of modern musical genres... there were few in my formative years.

Went searching Bandcamp for some good old (pre 1985) Industrial. I love the Throbbing Gristle, SPK, Laughing Hands, Tuxedo Moon, even Pere Ubu , etc. I guess some of them are a little more New Wave but w/ industrial overtones.

I found this band and love the simplicity. Maybe the most 'industrial' thing about them is their name, but some tunes remind of the Ralph, Mute or Industrial records. Sounds too good to actually be that old, but anyhoo.

Any more oldies like this out there I could peruse? I also like the heavier stuff like Die Form, SPK.

I do have this compilation that is wonderful for mostly drum machine driven stuff:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/noi ... 1974-1984/
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:30 pm

Fad Gadget or early Portion Control are worth checking out.

Also:

Cabaret Voltaire
ZE'V
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Old Industrial

Post by thetwlo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:35 pm

MindMachine wrote:
I do have this compilation that is wonderful for mostly drum machine driven stuff:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/noi ... 1974-1984/
Looks like a great comp!
Vinyl on Demand releases some fine stuff as well, many of these artists are worth checking out.
https://www.vod-records.com/ARTISTS-1-4.htm

no idea what you are aware of, Ralph and Industrial released some amazing, and diverse things, all great!
Early Clock DVA is still a favorite.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:06 am

wackelpeter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wackelpeter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:10 am

First of all i would second the recommendations for:
Cabaret Voltaire (for me it's the stuff until 81-82 that i llike)
Portion Control (as above but until 1984)
Fad Gadget (1st LP and 7"s)
Clock DVA (all that early tape stuff re-released on VOD is well worth the money)

then i would like to add, that it's worth to look into (regarding the track list of that cherry red compilation)
-Doxa Sinistra
-De Fabriek (especially as the Made in Spain LP is now re-released)
((as this was on the Esplendor Geometrico Label first, they are also nice)
-Van Kaye & Ignit
-early Minny Pops

Also there are 1 or 2 other compilations on Cherry Red covering that genres which are recommended as a cheap priced introduction and overview
https://www.discogs.com/de/label/138258 ... oise-Floor

plenty of great stuff to discover.

Also i'd like to recommend Zoviet France (recently the whole early backcatalogue got re-issued by VOD)
Konstruktivists, Residents (there i especially like the 1977-1983 period),
Vox Populi and Pacific 231, John Duncan, CM von Hausswolff, Nocturnal Emissions (the earlier recordings until 1983-84 especially), Ptose, Eric Random (if you like Cabaret Voltaire) and, and, and...

I remember when i was diving deep into the industrial/post-industrial and noise scene some 30 years ago, with no internet and some small mailorders (Artware, Dragnet, RRRecords, Anomalous records,etc.), catching up rumours about this or that band or release... no internet and some releases only known by hearsay... Today with platforms like Discogs and the whole lot of re-releases also covering the wide cassette culture scene it's very comfortable and you don't have to pay all those phantastical prices for some obscure records and you mostly have a chance to listen before you buy.
Last edited by wackelpeter on Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

wackelpeter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wackelpeter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:14 am

To be fair i wouldn't file more than half (after looking at it again i would say 70-80% don't belong there imho) of that list under Industrial/post-industrial or noise and what's bothering me more is that it lacks a lot of great bands.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:41 am

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:50 am

rico loverde wrote:Fad Gadget or early Portion Control are worth checking out.

Also:

Cabaret Voltaire
ZE'V
Hell yes - forgot about Zev. I have him w/ Rex and the gang as Rhythm and Noise.
thetwlo wrote: no idea what you are aware of, Ralph and Industrial released some amazing, and diverse things, all great!
Early Clock DVA is still a favorite.
Yeah I mentioned Ralph and Industrial along w/ Mute as a basis.

wackelpeter - thank you much. I never heard of Pacific 231 or a few of those others. Will give them a peruse.

Thinking about it... even uncut misogynistic live pre-record deal Devo is very industrial in my ears.

Again I am genre deaf I think.

Thanks for the reminders and new music.

thetwlo wrote:
Looks like a great comp!
Vinyl on Demand releases some fine stuff as well, many of these artists are worth checking out.
https://www.vod-records.com/ARTISTS-1-4.htm
Will check it out. That compilation I linked was 4 cd's and a book for e good price. Hope it is still around.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:23 am

MindMachine wrote:
That's cheating.
I just thought it might be useful. And for others I didn't post it as the definitive list. Let's not make this a pissing contest.

I was going to suggest Cabaret Voltaire, ZE'V, Einstürzende Neubauten and Clock DVA. I was also an EBM person.

wackelpeter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wackelpeter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:46 am

well for Pacific231 and perhaps Vox Populi i think this compilation is a good starting point:

https://www.discogs.com/de/Vox-Populi-P ... ter/655286

From Vox Populi i like almost everything...

Pacific 231 the first two LP's are great, the Last Morality Tape is good as well as there are some great tracks spread around a couple of compilations.
There i like more his approach shifting between noisier but still "traditional" structured musical elements...

..and well as he in his early years put out some borderline stuff too dealing with the WWII and assorted stuff i have to say i got really bored about the use of all these shocking, provoking or gloryfying usage of that stuff... I simply don't like those elements and i think if you really want to do thought provoking and mind boggling stuff then make something like this:

[video][/video]

:yay: [/video]

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Portion Control is where a bunch of the really early Skinny Puppy sounds got borrowed from. Grauzone had at least one good song. There was a little bit of a scene in the bay area with Tuxedomoon and Survival Research.

The Alexander Reed book Assimilate is really a must read.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:01 am

dubonaire wrote:
MindMachine wrote:
That's cheating.
I just thought it might be useful. And for others I didn't post it as the definitive list. Let's not make this a pissing contest.

I was going to suggest Cabaret Voltaire, ZE'V, Einstürzende Neubauten and Clock DVA. I was also an EBM person.
Thanks for the personal list. How you got a pissing contest from 'that's cheating' is just a little cranky. I guess I should have put a big old smiley on there :mrgreen: .

But thanks for the suggestions. Like I say, I'm not too swift on the genres but am lately getting into those simple productions.
sizone wrote:Portion Control is where a bunch of the really early Skinny Puppy sounds got borrowed from. Grauzone had at least one good song. There was a little bit of a scene in the bay area with Tuxedomoon and Survival Research.

The Alexander Reed book Assimilate is really a must read.
Thank you and bought!

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:15 am

MindMachine wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
MindMachine wrote:
That's cheating.

Thanks for the personal list. How you got a pissing contest from 'that's cheating' is just a little cranky. I guess I should have put a big old smiley on there :mrgreen: .

That comment was not to you, it was to others who criticized the list. I should have said here's a list check out the artists and see what you like.

I think Cabaret Voltaire was an exceptional band.

dubonaire wrote:And for others I didn't post it as the definitive list. Let's not make this a pissing contest.
This is cool

[video][/video]

This is post industrial Cabaret Voltiare but it's such an awesome video. It seems a bit hokey now but at the time...

[video][/video]

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:23 am

Throbbing Gristle
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:45 am

Outfits like the aforementioned Throbbing Gristle and especially earlier Cabaret Voltaire (while Chris Watson was still on board) had a strong impact on me in my youth.

I seem to remember a member of TG saying that "Industrial" also referred to the activity of being creatively self supporting and 'industrious' with ideas... or words to that effect.

With that in mind one of my favourites from that time is Robert Rental's first single release done on very limited resources (borrowed 4 track, stylophone, DIY electronics, etc), but somehow, despite 'Paralysis' sounding like it could fall apart at any moment with the choice of a few words, it really works for me in rarely visited emotional areas.

[video]Robert Rental "Paralysis"[/video]

He later went on to collaborate with Thomas Leer on the album release "The Bridge" through TG's Industrial Records and also toured with Daniel Miller as Robert Rental and the Normal... the "Live at West Runton Pavillion" vinyl release sounds very close to what I heard when they turned up in Cheltenham in 1979... my first experience of live electronic music in the thick of the Punk era - truly transformative!

[video]Robert Rental and The Normal[/video]

At that time the demystifying message for someone like me was "you too can do this".

(Hmm can't seem get the usual picture playback links to YouTube this time)

wackelpeter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wackelpeter » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:15 pm

you have to remove the s in https and the video appears...

agreed Paralysis/ACC is a great 7"...

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:23 pm

wackelpeter wrote:you have to remove the s in https and the video appears...

agreed Paralysis/ACC is a great 7"...
Thanks wackelpeter this is what I normally do but for some reason after several attempts it didn't work this time, whilst I'm here again might as well try again with this.

Not exactly fully 'industrial', but it's buried within the DNA of this piece alongside a psychedelic tilt.

Thomas Leer "Tight as a Drum"

(Hell! Embedded videos many times before as shown but suddenly not working for me)

cycad73

Post by cycad73 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:54 pm

I think what the OP is looking for is somewhat broader than industrial. My own favorites in this regard which may have not been already mentioned are Chrome, This Heat, Philippe Doray, Aksak Maboul, DNA, Factrix, DAF, Suicide, Swans, Maurizio Bianchi, Esplendor Geometrico, P16.D4. Industrial was a lot more specific but at the same time there are a lot more similarities than differences with what was called art punk, avant-prog/RIO, no wave etc.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:43 pm

Pailhead is great—Al Jourgensen & Ian MacKay...
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:51 pm

cycad73 wrote:I think what the OP is looking for is somewhat broader than industrial.
Yeah, I got that impression as well. I've never felt comfortable with genre defining every last expression of art.

Glad you mentioned This Heat. Their two main studio albums where phenomenally good... ditto for Pere Ubu's first two as well... benchmark material to my mind.

Dusseldorf bands like Der Plan (a bit like Kraftwerk and The Residents interwoven) are often overlooked. DAF's 'Die Kleinen und die Bösen' had an 'industrial' feel, even Kraftwerk's first two albums predating most of the stuff mentioned here, had that as well. Just listen to "Kling Klang" "Stratovarius" or "Vom Himmel Hoch" for example.

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:51 pm

+1 for early Nocturnal Emissions ("Fruiting Body", "Drowning In A Sea Of Bliss"), Maurizio Bianchi ("Mectpyo Bakterium", "Symphony For A Genocide"), Esplendor Geometrico ("EG1", "Kosmos Kino"), Zoviet France ("Mohnomishe", "Norsch"), and Konstruktivists ("Psykho Genetika").

Also check out:

Hunting Lodge, particularly "Will".

Early (pre-1987) Controlled Bleeding, particularly "Knees & Bones". (Note, some early stuff, like "Plegm Spattered Bag", didn't get released until later.)

Early Foetus, namely "Hole" (and if you like that, "Nail").

Early Nurse With Wound, particularly "Merzbild Schwet".

Early Current 93, particularly "Nature Unveiled".

Early NON, particularly "Easy Listening For Iron Youth".

Early Laibach, particularly the self-titled album and "Nova Akropola".

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:22 pm

diophantine wrote:+1 for early Nocturnal Emissions ("Fruiting Body", "Drowning In A Sea Of Bliss"), Maurizio Bianchi ("Mectpyo Bakterium", "Symphony For A Genocide"), Esplendor Geometrico ("EG1", "Kosmos Kino"), Zoviet France ("Mohnomishe", "Norsch"), and Konstruktivists ("Psykho Genetika").

Also check out:

Hunting Lodge, particularly "Will".

Early (pre-1987) Controlled Bleeding, particularly "Knees & Bones". (Note, some early stuff, like "Plegm Spattered Bag", didn't get released until later.)

Early Foetus, namely "Hole" (and if you like that, "Nail").

Early Nurse With Wound, particularly "Merzbild Schwet".

Early Current 93, particularly "Nature Unveiled".

Early NON, particularly "Easy Listening For Iron Youth".

Early Laibach, particularly the self-titled album and "Nova Akropola".
YUP!!!! YUP!! YUP!!! all amazing!!!
The Elephant Table album is the classic comp!

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:43 am

wiperactive wrote:
cycad73 wrote:I think what the OP is looking for is somewhat broader than industrial.
Yeah, I got that impression as well. I've never felt comfortable with genre defining every last expression of art.
Well my definition was broad as I stated:

"Let me start by saying I have no real definition of modern musical genres... there were few in my formative years."

Thank you for all of the replies. I have experience or hard recordings with most mentioned. The few others I will check out.

I used to listen to Assassinating Rhythms on KALX or whatever in the 1980's.

It was Tuxedo Moon, Romeo Void, Laughing Hands, SPK, Snakefinger, Die Form, etc.

So yeah, Industrial is vague.

Funny about these 'industrial' bands. Most has aged well. Little sounds dated.

buzzlegs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by buzzlegs » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:36 pm

this track has a SPK vibe I think...

[video][/video]

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:13 pm

Toronto had a killer electro industrial scene in regards to the Doventertainment crew...

Digital Poodle, DIN, Malhavoc Bang! Electronica, are all great examples of what was happening in Toronto during the late 80s to the late 90s. Unfortunately, they were bought up by Cleopatra records and ended by making some seriously half ass acid comps.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Return to “Artist Discussion”