Eliane Radigue - Kyema

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Eliane Radigue - Kyema

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:45 pm

[video][/video]

AMAZING! could not stop listening to this. take the ride. this is what drone was like in 1998.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:38 am

I don't think it's what drone was like in 1998 (because it's a collection of pieces that were composed much earlier and also informed by even earlier work of hers and it's not really where the genre itself was at), but yes, it's absolutely amazing work.

If you enjoyed this, you should definitely dig deep into her other work (i recommend Chry-ptus and the Adnos series), it's all of a stellar quality. I find it fascinating that there is very little drone music that sounds at all like her, even though everything she does sounds incredibly simple and minimalistic. But there's always an arc to her pieces. Not just simply droning on, but very deliberate change. Just at the time scale of glaciers.

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:32 am

Marvelous. Thanks for posting.

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:36 pm

x2mirko wrote:If you enjoyed this, you should definitely dig deep into her other work (i recommend Chry-ptus and the Adnos series), it's all of a stellar quality. I find it fascinating that there is very little drone music that sounds at all like her, even though everything she does sounds incredibly simple and minimalistic. But there's always an arc to her pieces. Not just simply droning on, but very deliberate change. Just at the time scale of glaciers.
Speaking as someone way far back in her wake, my understanding is the difference lies in the fact that these are the sounds in her head she was working to approximate. Your use of the word "deliberate" nails why her work is distinctive. In my work I'm just exploring, setting up a system and letting it slowly drift where it will over time--but some of those explorations are magical!

Some might suggest La Monte Young, and while I can see (hear!) why, I find their respective works elicit different responses in me: a visit to the Dream House is a mandatory experience for those who are able to get there, IMO, but Radigue's Adnos II (for example) brings me to places Young's work does not. And I can still remember how my first Radigue track (Kyema!) expanded my sense of possibility, while simultaneously made that possibility feel accessible to me. Young feels distant to me, though I think that's by design.

Side note: It's amusing to me that adjusting my listening to the slow pace of some of my stuff makes me wish she would hold certain sections for longer before moving on!

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:46 pm

For anyone that hasn't seen it-this short documentary portrait of her is well worth watching:
[video][/video]
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky

PavlinaA
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PavlinaA » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:22 am

I didn't know much about her but that documentary film was pretty good

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:06 pm

these soundscapes are mesmersising if one allows for them to enter the perception through listening carefully. The effect, the state of mind, feelings, and images that appear in the mind are personal experiences. Similar to other listeners perceptions, but unique for each listener.

Repetitive patterns and sustained drone sounds lull humans into something comfortable, a comfortable state. After just few minutes one can enter a kind of trance state if one has time and the nerve to allow this to happen. Music, sound, frequencies, interfering with each other, is a magical thing.

These effects on the human mind are well known, especially among members of a forum focused on sound generation with electronic devices.

---

The thing I want to point out (and most certainly fail) is: a Tibetan bowl stirred with a felt stick produces a wealth of over- and undertones in a natural way, following the principles of harmony. A set of VCO's mixed together and filtered, results in something different.

Return to “Artist Discussion”