50 years - Favorite King Crimson

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

jkjelec
Ektachrome plane...I see the flies

Re: 50 years - Favorite King Crimson

Post by jkjelec » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:18 am

Bodo1967 wrote:
I seem to be the only one here who has 'Lizard' among their favorite KC albums :lol:. And 'Cirkus' from that album is probably my all-time favorite KC song.
I agree, Bodo1967! 'Cirkus' and the rest of the tunes on 'Lizard' are amazing! Those Fripp arpeggios on the acoustic guitar in 'Cirkus'! How about 'Happy Family' with it's sarcastic look at the Beatles? I had read somewhere that the "..hey-ho..." that starts 'Happy Family' is a take on Paul McCartney's "HeyHo!' that starts "While my Guitar Gently Weeps".
Also, I am in the weeds a bit with my love of 'In the Wake of Poseidon' and 'Islands', that at least a few others here are digging on.

sallowworm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sallowworm » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:50 pm

Whilst I'm not familiar with everything they have ever done, 'Red' continues to amaze. That record could have come out in 1993. Can't imagine listening to it back in 1974, it sounds like time travel

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 01235813 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:21 am

No matter how good or bad my day, this will make it better.

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:36 am

mine is The Power To Believe and related live recordings.
that UFO behind me is real

JX3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JX3 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:21 am

I've gotten used to it by now; the favored KC eras are the Lake & Wetton ones. Not that I don't like those (just like everyone else), but all versions have some strong points; e.g., the live releases with Boz all prove that band exceeded what we heard on the Islands album.

I also highly value Lizard (there's really nothing else quite like it), and that second side of Three of a Perfect Pair was pretty regular listening for a while.

The 2000 and 2003 albums didn't delight me as much, but I did like hearing that material live. KC was always a live band first. For a while I was listening only to 1995 shows, having bought a month's worth (May) from DGM Live.

My favorite KC might be what I least enjoyed on initial exposure: the four ProjeKcts. I was part of a tape-trading group, where I was given two P2 shows nobody else wanted. When DG Live made them available, I bought every one. I don't see how anyone could get tired of "The Deception of the Thrush".

But then it's back to the Wetton lineup: those late 1972 shows (pre-LTIA) are just crazy-amazing, and the early 1973 shows were essentially just the LTIA album plus 21stSCM as encore. I never did care much for Bible Black as an album, but hearing that stuff live -- the Amsterdam show, for example, which went into it -- well, it's hard to believe that musicians like that once roamed the earth.

The 21st-century version I haven't seen -- partly because the ticket-selling business has become so corrupt (resellers buy all the seats and hike the prices, making it cost too much for any but the worst seats). And also because A Scarcity of Miracles doesn't much interest me, capturing the drony sameness that made David Sylvian so monotonous: all slow tempos, moods of resignation and harmonies in fifths ... well, it hasn't held my interest yet. On the plus side, we get the return of Mel Collins. Maybe I just need to leave it on repeat while doing carpentry.

All time favorite album probably remains Larks Tongues. It just has everything, and frankly I have not heard a live performance of Talking Drum > LTIA2 that sounded quite as good: perfectly recorded / mixed / performed, with those screeching violins bridging us from the horror of one to the sublime epiphany of the other. KC in a nutshell.
Roland: System 8, D-50, JP-8080, JV-1080 TB-3, TR-8, Juno-D. Yamaha: MX61, DX7ii/TX7, AN200, Reface CS. Korg Odyssey, CX-3, MS-20. Sledge, Ion, Minibrute, Boog.

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:20 am

I really do need to dig into their live material more - I'm always put off by how generally terrible a lot of '60s-'70s live recordings sound, but it's true that the playing on KC live material is almost always incredible.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Return to “Artist Discussion”