Felix Kubin

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Felix Kubin

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:14 pm

I have just recently discovered his album Filmmusik and am rather charmed by it, seems he has a very large catalogue of recordings, is anyone else familiar or have particular albums to recommend by him for that matter?

Interesting interview btw:

https://www.factmag.com/2009/01/01/inte ... lix-kubin/

“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

schwittersplayspop
Common Wiggler

Re: Felix Kubin

Post by schwittersplayspop » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:50 pm

Yes! I'm a big fan of Felix's music. It is quite varied, from electronic pop to experimental, orchestral, and even radio plays. If you get a chance to see him live you should.

Filmmusik is a great place to start -- a good companion record is the Jetlag Disko EP.

It's quite hard not to recommend everything. Certainly a lot of the good stuff is on singles as much as it is on albums. Like his weird cover of Lionel Ritchie's "Hello", and his cover of Klaus Nomi's (cover of) "Lightning Strikes".

I'd recommend his album Matki Wandalki (and the others) on A-Musik, and the "Tetchy Teenage Tapes" record (which are totally legit, he was making NDW-inspired music as a kid in the 80s), as highlights.

His most recent release, "Max Brand Studie IV / Topia", is experimental synth study stuff that would appeal to many on this forum. Also the "TXRF" album has some great synth exploration.

His own label, Gagarin Records, is well curated and there are a lot of interesting and strange artists to discover on it.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Felix Kubin

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:52 pm

Thanks for the recommendations...seems like his music captures a childlike quality which is refreshing.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Return to “Artist Discussion”