Favorite Robert Wyatt songs?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Re: Favorite Robert Wyatt songs?

Post by BugBrand » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:11 am

Not sure I could pick a favourite, but...
I just saw this NTS In Focus: Robert Wyatt show, posted a couple of days ago..
I'd never known he was born in Bristol!

Took some years to realise I'd begun experiencing Wyatt via my young love of Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.

Actually, maybe Shipbuilding is a favourite - can't help but bring a tear.
But, then, it isn't a Wyatt song exactly..
Oh, I don't know, why even try to choose?!

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:53 pm

BugBrand wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:11 am
Not sure I could pick a favourite, but...
I just saw this NTS In Focus: Robert Wyatt show, posted a couple of days ago..
I'd never known he was born in Bristol!

Took some years to realise I'd begun experiencing Wyatt via my young love of Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.

Actually, maybe Shipbuilding is a favourite - can't help but bring a tear.
But, then, it isn't a Wyatt song exactly..
Oh, I don't know, why even try to choose?!

I didn’t realize they covered some of his songs. Will have to take a listen, good music for transitioning seasons somehow, they have a way of churning feelings of nostalgia and longing somehow...
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:41 pm

Graham Hinton wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:05 pm
O Caroline. Here's a recording I made of Daevid Allen's University of Errors live glissando version.
It's drifting off-topic a bit but Mr Hinton's restoration of Gong's Master Builder (on the same page as above) is absolutely blinding.

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:40 am

Umcorps wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:41 pm
It's drifting off-topic a bit but Mr Hinton's restoration of Gong's Master Builder (on the same page as above) is absolutely blinding.
Glad you like it, I hope that one day soon you and everyone can hear the rest of that gig which was Hammersmith Palais, 1975. Daevid Allen's book Gong Dreaming II (which is really a diary) simply describes it as "This is the one we've been waiting for!". It also describes the party where Robert had his accident.

A CD master has been languishing unreleased since 2003, but now that the Virgin/EMI/Universal box set of previously released material is out of the way there are plans to release another box set of other material which should include that. I'm sitting on 47 tapes that Gong fans would have sold family members and their own body parts to hear. Watch Planet Gong for news.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:23 am

Wow George, I had no idea! Great to hear this stuff sounding so good. I say that partly on faith hearing it on a small speaker via the internet's digital slurry. I must hunt for some of these.
:hail:

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:32 am

Graham Hinton wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:40 am

Glad you like it, I hope that one day soon you and everyone can hear the rest of that gig which was Hammersmith Palais, 1975.
Is that a typo? I thought Daevid Allen was out of the band by 1975?

I'm wondering if you meant 1974? In which case I saw them on this very tour at Dagenham Roundhouse. Whatever. It's still a great performance.

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:44 pm

Umcorps wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:32 am
Graham Hinton wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:40 am

Glad you like it, I hope that one day soon you and everyone can hear the rest of that gig which was Hammersmith Palais, 1975.
Is that a typo? I thought Daevid Allen was out of the band by 1975?

I'm wondering if you meant 1974? In which case I saw them on this very tour at Dagenham Roundhouse. Whatever. It's still a great performance.
According to the Planet Gong "gigs" page (& Wikipedia), Allen quit in April 75.
It also has this listing for the 1975 Hammersmith show:
Sun 04/05/75 : Gong : (GB) London, Hammersmith Palais - with Global Village Trucking Company. & Radar Favourites. daevid watches gig.

https://www.planetgong.co.uk/gigs/archive/1975.shtml
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:48 pm

Umcorps wrote:
Ha, I saw them at the very unhip Bracknell Sports Centre in '74 - a co-tour with Hatfield and the North.
..the vessel was heavier because “dead sheep do not have the same weight as the live ones”

Graham Hinton
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Graham Hinton » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:03 pm

Umcorps wrote:
I'm wondering if you meant 1974? In which case I saw them on this very tour at Dagenham Roundhouse.
You are right, the tape box has "Hammersmith '75" written across it and then there is a small note on the back which says "actually '74". Daevid left during the '75 tour which was completed without him. It's all in Gong Dreaming 2, but have you seen the price that is going for now?

Ah, the Dagenham Roundhouse, I saw Pink Floyd play there. (Yes, I saw the Floyd play a pub!) Didn't they use a skittle alley? The band was set up along the side of the room because it was too narrow to fit a stage at the end and the audience was only a few rows deep.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:04 pm

Nothing unhip about Bracknell Sports Centre. :party:

https://twitter.com/dark_shark/status/8 ... 0940005376

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:13 pm

Graham Hinton wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:03 pm

Ah, the Dagenham Roundhouse, I saw Pink Floyd play there. (Yes, I saw the Floyd play a pub!) Didn't they use a skittle alley? The band was set up along the side of the room because it was too narrow to fit a stage at the end and the audience was only a few rows deep.
Don't know if it was a skittle alley but it was tiny enough to fill in for one. Memory says they were set up at the short end. The band could barely move on the minimal stage and the audience didn't fare much better. It was very "intimate". Don't recall much of the set list. Do remember Daevid Allen being clearly baked and just grinning throughout, Tim Blake having his style cramped by being crammed over against the side wall of the room and the light show that consisted of a red pencil spot being wobbled around on the back wall. According to the Planet Gong site that would have been a month or so before the Hammersmith gig.

casiopia
Common Wiggler

Post by casiopia » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:07 pm

I know this thread is about 'favourite songs' but I have to mention the Robert Wyatt album End of an Ear - one of my favourites - a very bent masterpiece!!

Return to “Artist Discussion”