Notable mostly mono modern albums?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1963
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 am
Location: jersey

Notable mostly mono modern albums?

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:35 pm

I never really thought about how Loveless was recorded in (mostly) mono until listening to it a few weeks ago...their is that Kevin Shields quote about him wanting it to sound the same on a boom box or on someone’s hifi in their library or something like that, which probably makes even more sense now with considering how most people listen to music presently. Even if you were to listen to a Loveless exclusively on a good sound system, I am not sure what would be improved with stereophonic effects? At times when I listen to Depeche Mode’s Violator (for example) I wonder if certain aspects of its stereo recording isn’t a bit cheap in a way, like using truffle oil...
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

User avatar
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1677
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:49 am
Location: Brooklyn | NY | USA

Re: Notable mostly mono modern albums?

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 pm

I can't believe I'd never noticed that. I think it's also adds to that super squashed sound since everything is in the same aural space.

I can pretty much only listen to The Beatles in mono until Abbey Road. Panning all of the drums to one side or having all of the vocals one channel and the instruments on the other might have seemed like a good idea at the time but it's really annoying to listen to.

Divinital

Re: Notable mostly mono modern albums?

Post by Divinital » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:13 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 pm
I can't believe I'd never noticed that. I think it's also adds to that super squashed sound since everything is in the same aural space.

I can pretty much only listen to The Beatles in mono until Abbey Road. Panning all of the drums to one side or having all of the vocals one channel and the instruments on the other might have seemed like a good idea at the time but it's really annoying to listen to.
Not when you’re high on LS... caffeine I mean.

User avatar
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1677
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:49 am
Location: Brooklyn | NY | USA

Re: Notable mostly mono modern albums?

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:15 pm

Divinital wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:13 pm
GuyaGuy wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 pm
I can't believe I'd never noticed that. I think it's also adds to that super squashed sound since everything is in the same aural space.

I can pretty much only listen to The Beatles in mono until Abbey Road. Panning all of the drums to one side or having all of the vocals one channel and the instruments on the other might have seemed like a good idea at the time but it's really annoying to listen to.
Not when you’re high on LS... caffeine I mean.
Just seems like a recipe for a bad...caffeine trip.
"John and Paul are in my right speaker, man!"

User avatar
onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1963
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 am
Location: jersey

Re: Notable mostly mono modern albums?

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:49 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 pm
I can't believe I'd never noticed that. I think it's also adds to that super squashed sound since everything is in the same aural space.

I can pretty much only listen to The Beatles in mono until Abbey Road. Panning all of the drums to one side or having all of the vocals one channel and the instruments on the other might have seemed like a good idea at the time but it's really annoying to listen to.
After I considered this about Loveless I immediately thought about all those Phil Spector produced recordings also being mono...

I guess it was such a novelty at the point in those middle period Beatles albums that it could of only been overused...like polyester in the 70s.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

User avatar
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1677
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:49 am
Location: Brooklyn | NY | USA

Re: Notable mostly mono modern albums?

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:42 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:49 pm
GuyaGuy wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 pm
I can't believe I'd never noticed that. I think it's also adds to that super squashed sound since everything is in the same aural space.

I can pretty much only listen to The Beatles in mono until Abbey Road. Panning all of the drums to one side or having all of the vocals one channel and the instruments on the other might have seemed like a good idea at the time but it's really annoying to listen to.
After I considered this about Loveless I immediately thought about all those Phil Spector produced recordings also being mono...

I guess it was such a novelty at the point in those middle period Beatles albums that it could of only been overused...like polyester in the 70s.
According to Geoff Emerick the Beatles signed off on the mono mixes and the stereo mixes were done without their input. It was new like you say and many considered it a novelty. Of course there was no standardization yet either—like spreading the drum kit as if you were facing it, etc.

User avatar
GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1677
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:49 am
Location: Brooklyn | NY | USA

Re: Notable mostly mono modern albums?

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:47 am

A lot of Portishead's Dummy is mono. There are stereo additions but almost all of the samples were done in mono to maximize storage on the Akai sampler.

Of course, with Dummy and Loveless we're talking albums that are 25-30 years old--not exactly modern.

User avatar
onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1963
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 am
Location: jersey

Re: Notable mostly mono modern albums?

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:26 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:47 am
A lot of Portishead's Dummy is mono. There are stereo additions but almost all of the samples were done in mono to maximize storage on the Akai sampler.

Of course, with Dummy and Loveless we're talking albums that are 25-30 years old--not exactly modern.
Yes, well I chose modern vs contemporary, but to clarify I meant after stereo recordings became the standard... I was listening to the mono and stereo mixes of Pet Sounds back to back a little while ago and think I prefer the mono but maybe that’s cause what I’ve know all these years.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

floatingChalice
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:44 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Notable mostly mono modern albums?

Post by floatingChalice » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:12 pm

I believe many of (contemporary artist) Actress’s tracks are recorded in mono, and IMO it works really well for that style of music

User avatar
onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1963
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 am
Location: jersey

Re: Notable mostly mono modern albums?

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:29 pm

floatingChalice wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:12 pm
I believe many of (contemporary artist) Actress’s tracks are recorded in mono, and IMO it works really well for that style of music
I said notable not vaguely listenable
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

floatingChalice
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:44 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Notable mostly mono modern albums?

Post by floatingChalice » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:48 pm

lol ok boomer

have fun in your mostly empty thread

User avatar
onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1963
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 am
Location: jersey

Re: Notable mostly mono modern albums?

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:03 pm

oh snap! :cry:
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Post Reply

Return to “Artist Discussion”