Lyle Mays passed away

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Lyle Mays passed away

Post by deke » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:56 pm

Hope this is the right forum for this. I didn't see any other posts on his passing away this week after searching. I just heard on the radio that Lyle Mays passed away. I'm sure people have different opinions on the music of the Pat Metheny Group, but I think it is more than fair to say Lyle Mays was unique and in his own way brought attention and an evolution to synthesizers in music. I saw him with his own group way back in 1986 as part of his tour for his solo album Lyle Mays. It was a very memorable concert. It was a trio, but Mays played I don't know how many instruments and made it all seem so effortless. HIs piano playing was so amazing, even more so when it has been said he had perfect pitch and never practiced! He seemed just as effortless in his synth programming and was arguably a pioneer in synths in music, certainly jazz, as he was using everything available as far back as the mid 1970s. I would argue what was most unique about him was his incorporating synths with the piano, and using synths as orchestration. I can't remember a single example of his playing a "synth solo" - always piano.Of course he would often play both piano and a synth or two at the same time, and I really can't think of anyone else who does that, even today. A few weeks ago I caught myself wondering if he ever did anything with a modular.

If any of your "youngsters" aren't familiar with him, I would suggest "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls" as the piece to listen to (and realize it was recorded in 1981!).

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Lyle Mays passed away

Post by Dr. Sketch-n-Etch » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:59 pm

Very bummed to hear this news. Lyle Mays is one of my musical heroes. He was an amazing piano and synth player, and his fingers looked like they bent about four different ways.
For every bullshit job, you need a bullshit education -- Brian Eno

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:04 pm

RIP, an absolute legend.

I grew up listening to Metheny and Mays, this is very sad news.
Oh you got a Nickel, I got a Dime,
I'd like to get to know you but I haven't got the time,
You got to walk like a mannequin, roll like a tyre,
Act on reaction dodge the big spud fryer
------------------------------------------
www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:14 pm

:waah:
This is not the place I'd imagined it to be.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:12 pm

RIP :waah:
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:38 pm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:59 pm
Very bummed to hear this news. Lyle Mays is one of my musical heroes. He was an amazing piano and synth player, and his fingers looked like they bent about four different ways.
I don’t know if you heard this, but you and others might like this interview. https://www.jazziz.com/lyle-mays/

apollinaire2k
Learning to Wiggle

Post by apollinaire2k » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:25 pm

deke wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:38 pm
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
I don’t know if you heard this, but you and others might like this interview. https://www.jazziz.com/lyle-mays/
Love that interview...really insightful.He seemed liked the type of guy that was great at just about anything he put his mind to. Architecture, math, computers, billiards, ect..

So saddened by his passing. I'd seen PMG many times growing up and Lyle was always mesmerizing. RIP Lyle Mays

Joe_D
Common Wiggler

Post by Joe_D » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:29 pm

Tremendous musician; terrible loss!

Another interview:

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:09 pm

apollinaire2k wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:25 pm
deke wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:38 pm
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Love that interview...really insightful.He seemed liked the type of guy that was great at just about anything he put his mind to. Architecture, math, computers, billiards, ect..

So saddened by his passing. I'd seen PMG many times growing up and Lyle was always mesmerizing. RIP Lyle Mays
Yea I saw PMG quite a few times too. The first time, early 80s they opened with phase dance and it was immediately apparent something new was happening. I’m mainly a guitar player and yet I always was watching Lyle too! Another time I saw them at the amazing Fox Theater in Detroit before it was renovated. The power blew out in the middle of a song. I remember being terrified all of Lyles gear was blown out. Thankfully he was right back into everything when the lights came back on.

To your comment I think he truly was a polymath. Also that someone so analytical could play and write music that was so expressive is really interesting. I think that is quite rare. One might even say he was Bach-esque in that regard.

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:30 pm

:woah: :waah:

All my influences are passing on, seems like :cry:

Fog Door
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fog Door » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:38 pm

I don't know the music of Lyle Mays, but it seems he is widely regarded as a legend. Its so sad to hear that he could no longer find a place in the music business in his later years. Although I suppose it is a familiar enough tale.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:43 pm

deke wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:56 pm
Hope this is the right forum for this. I didn't see any other posts on his passing away this week after searching. I just heard on the radio that Lyle Mays passed away. I'm sure people have different opinions on the music of the Pat Metheny Group, but I think it is more than fair to say Lyle Mays was unique and in his own way brought attention and an evolution to synthesizers in music. I saw him with his own group way back in 1986 as part of his tour for his solo album Lyle Mays. It was a very memorable concert. It was a trio, but Mays played I don't know how many instruments and made it all seem so effortless. HIs piano playing was so amazing, even more so when it has been said he had perfect pitch and never practiced! He seemed just as effortless in his synth programming and was arguably a pioneer in synths in music, certainly jazz, as he was using everything available as far back as the mid 1970s. I would argue what was most unique about him was his incorporating synths with the piano, and using synths as orchestration. I can't remember a single example of his playing a "synth solo" - always piano.Of course he would often play both piano and a synth or two at the same time, and I really can't think of anyone else who does that, even today. A few weeks ago I caught myself wondering if he ever did anything with a modular.

If any of your "youngsters" aren't familiar with him, I would suggest "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls" as the piece to listen to (and realize it was recorded in 1981!).
Great suggestion for listening. I only heard him once live, with PMG at the beautiful Wiltern Theater in LA. Amazing talent.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:21 am

Lyle is the one to blame that I've been wanting an Oberheim Four Voice ever since my uncle played "As falls Wichita..." to me in 1989.

Thanks for the music and the inspiration you gave.

Stephen

Lux A Turner
Common Wiggler

Post by Lux A Turner » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:24 am

Very sad to hear this, PMG were a staple part of the soundtrack of my life in the 1980s-90s. I saw them at the (then) Hammersmith Odeon c.1985 - Lyle surprised us by making his entrance playing the trumpet!

RIP :waah:

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:53 am

Grew up hearing Watercolors and As Falls Wichita. Bless you ECM.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Return to “Artist Discussion”