Kraftwerk tour

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Kraftwerk tour

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:37 pm

Anyone get tickets? I was pretty surprised to a actually be able to pick some up at 40$...
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Kraftwerk tour

Post by nostalghia » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:15 pm

Nope, but only because I saw them on their last 3D tour five years ago, and they aren't coming to my city (or nearby) on this one.
It was a great show, you'll be glad you went-the visuals alone are worth it, plus sound quality was perfect. And that is indeed a good ticket price, think I paid about twice that in 2015.
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

jorg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jorg » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:16 pm

Will they play Autobahn? My favorite forever.

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:52 pm

jorg wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:16 pm
Will they play Autobahn? My favorite forever.
All I can tell you is they did when I saw them on the 2015 tour, to the loudest applause of the night. They played a wide range of music from their entire catalog (except for the pre-Autobahn lps) over a nearly 3 hr show, including all the most well known tracks. But they might mix things up, no two shows exactly alike:
Kraftwerk Bring 3-D Concerts Back to North America on 2020 Summer Tour

If you've heard the "Minimum-Maximum" CD, or seen the DVD with same title, that will give you a rough idea of what to expect.
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:22 pm

Sounds like it will be both a relaxing and stimulating show. I have to say as sad as it sounds it’s nice to sit down for concerts...

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:31 pm

I think if you’re standing the entire time, you’re at rave, dance club or festival-not a “concert”. But this is coming from an old fart with foot issues...so sounds normal rather than sad to me. Only show I ever stood up for was The Orb around ‘97 or so.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:46 pm

nostalghia wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:31 pm
I think if you’re standing the entire time, you’re at rave, dance club or festival-not a “concert”. But this is coming from an old fart with foot issues...so sounds normal rather than sad to me. Only show I ever stood up for was The Orb around ‘97 or so.
Whaaaa... you don’t go see “rock” shows? The last concert I went to was Sterolab and that was standing room only, but yes, my body too often too gets in the way of enjoying a performance.

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:27 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:46 pm
Whaaaa... you don’t go see “rock” shows?
Very infrequently for the last 10 years or so. Very few of the "rock" bands I like enough to buy tickets for, deal with parking near venue, etc. are still actively touring, or come to my town (KC). Also-as you confirm, too much chance of having to stand up for the whole show (not to mention dealing with idiots who insist on watching the concert with their phones constantly in front of their face-not that I didn't grab a few short videos and photos at Kraftwerk). And I'm getting more protective of my hearing (what I have left-high frequencies aren't good as they once were) as I look forward to noodling around with synths/modular/music as a primary retirement hobby later this year.

But I saw plenty of memorable rock shows back in the day (my prime concert going years were the 70s). Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here/Animals" tour, Genesis with Gabriel (Lamb Lies Down), 1st Peter Gabriel solo tour with Television opening, Yes (Tales from Topographic tour), Kansas, ELP, Jethro Tull, Roxy Music, Queen (on their 1st US tour, opening for Mott the Hoople!), Miles Davis (jazz rock?) National Health, UK, Devo, Pretenders, Iggy Pop/Dead Boys, Cocteau Twins, Tangerine Dream (rock?) many others.

All while sitting down, as any serious listener prefers. :hihi:

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:42 pm

nostalghia wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:27 pm
onthebandwagon wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:46 pm
Whaaaa... you don’t go see “rock” shows?
Very infrequently for the last 10 years or so. Very few of the "rock" bands I like enough to buy tickets for, deal with parking near venue, etc. are still actively touring, or come to my town (KC). Also-as you confirm, too much chance of having to stand up for the whole show (not to mention dealing with idiots who insist on watching the concert with their phones constantly in front of their face-not that I didn't grab a few short videos and photos at Kraftwerk). And I'm getting more protective of my hearing (what I have left-high frequencies aren't good as they once were) as I look forward to noodling around with synths/modular/music as a primary retirement hobby later this year.

But I saw plenty of memorable rock shows back in the day (my prime concert going years were the 70s). Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here/Animals" tour, Genesis with Gabriel (Lamb Lies Down), 1st Peter Gabriel solo tour with Television opening, Yes (Tales from Topographic tour), Kansas, ELP, Jethro Tull, Roxy Music, Queen (on their 1st US tour, opening for Mott the Hoople!), Miles Davis (jazz rock?) National Health, UK, Devo, Pretenders, Iggy Pop/Dead Boys, Cocteau Twins, Tangerine Dream (rock?) many others.

All while sitting down, as any serious listener prefers. :hihi:
Yea, the whole phone things terribly distracting, I just don’t get it. If you want to take one photo I guess that’s fine but the people with their phones out don’t seem satisfied with that. I wish more venues would worry more about that than someone smoking weed.

Anyway, I can imagine that after seeing all of those shows it would be pretty underwhelming to see most things these days. I was fortunate enough to go to some great concerts when I was rather young only being in my 40s now, seeing the Ramones for example when I was 13 or so... I’m pretty sure they sounded as good then as they did in the 80s.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:48 pm

I might see them in Columbus-- it's kind of a weird venue for Kraftwerk and I want to cut loose not sit down. It's the kind of place where there are ushers who take you to your seat. You can stand and groove a little, but you know...

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:52 pm

Now is the time on Sprockets for internally grooving with minimized motions.

Gotta admit, I yelled “Yeah!!” and bopped around in my seat a bit when they went into the opening bass sequence of “The Robots”.

I lived about an hour south of Columbus for 7 years in the 80s. Saw Miles, TD and a Pink Floyd stadium show in Columbus. Good times. Used to drive up every month or two to buy import CDs and get a culture fix (vs small town social life).
Last edited by nostalghia on Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadAMps
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deadAMps » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:02 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:22 pm
Sounds like it will be both a relaxing and stimulating show. I have to say as sad as it sounds it’s nice to sit down for concerts...

This I think is going to be the deciding factor for me, sit or stand, Detroit or Chicago. Thinking Detroit, getting too old to stand for 2-3 hours.

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:16 pm

My prime concert-going era was 1968 — 1972 (went on the road with my band in '72 and for the next 5 years was usually gigging and not able to attend concerts). During the 1967 — 1973 era many concert venues in L.A. were large warehouse-like arenas (Shrine Exposition Hall, Rose Palace) that didn't have chairs. The promoters covered the floors with Astroturf and all tickets were general admission (typically between $3.00 and $4.00). The crowds sat on the floor and were always well behaved (read: stoned), and even those who didn't partake were guaranteed to get a contact buzz by the end of the festivities. You always wound up standing up for the headliner's set (but who gives a fuck when you're 16 or 17 years old).

For your $3.00 you saw 3 or 4 acts each play 2 sets. One memorable bill was Deep Purple (Mk I, with Evans/Simper) and John Mayall with Mick Taylor on guitar (I don't remember the opening act). Another was Led Zeppelin (first US tour) with Brian Auger and the Trinity opening. The best multi-act bill I ever saw (not at a festival) was The Moody Blues (In Search of the Lost Chord tour), Ten Years After (9 months before Woodstock) and The Jeff Beck Group (Beck, Rod Stewart, Nicky Hopkins, Ron Wood, Mick Waller). Every band was on fire that night; it was probably the best concert experience I've ever had (although seeing Cream in March of 1968 at the Shrine Expo Hall during their second US tour had more personal impact on me).

Of course, they also held rock shows at concert venues like the Hollywood Bowl, where I saw Jimi Hendrix/Vanilla Fudge/Soft Machine/Eire Apparent in September of 1968, and ELP/Humble Pie/Edgar Winter's White Trash in March of 1971 (ELP's Tarkus tour). Everyone stayed in their seats for those, except for the stoners who jumped into the reflecting pool that was directly in front of the Bowl stage during the Hendrix show. (It's since been filled-in and is now occupied by seats.

And of course, there was the Whiskey A Go-Go, where I saw Yes (Fragile tour, with Mary Wells opening), Chicago (don't remember who opened) and the original Mahavishnu Orchestra (no opening act). Also saw Buddy Rich there. The opening act for that was a new band led by former Turtles drummer Johnny Barbata. I remember him because in spite of knowing that he was being followed on stage by Buddy Rich, Barbata played a drum solo. (That took serious BALLS.)

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:31 pm

deadAMps wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:02 pm
onthebandwagon wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:22 pm

This I think is going to be the deciding factor for me, sit or stand, Detroit or Chicago. Thinking Detroit, getting too old to stand for 2-3 hours.
I had no idea the show will be that long...I better bring a flask.

TheMentat
Common Wiggler

Post by TheMentat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:40 pm

I have an option on some primo seats, but they aren’t cheap.

I’m undecided... part of me wants to go because of the prominent role they played in electronic music development. But if I’m gonna be really honest, I’ve never gotten into them, and my quick tour through their Apple Music repertoire was underwhelming.

If anybody has some good songs/albums they could point me to, it would be greatly appreciated!

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:54 am

TheMentat wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:40 pm
I have an option on some primo seats, but they aren’t cheap.

I’m undecided... part of me wants to go because of the prominent role they played in electronic music development. But if I’m gonna be really honest, I’ve never gotten into them, and my quick tour through their Apple Music repertoire was underwhelming.

If anybody has some good songs/albums they could point me to, it would be greatly appreciated!
I’m actually not that far away from you, I listen to them but far from a fanatic, I much prefer Cluster but I think it’s one of those shows that even a casual listener might enjoy. Computer World is my favorite ornament theirs if you haven’t happened to listen to it.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:01 am

Got a ticket for St. Louis. Standing room only in theory, but I know from other shows at that venue, if you get in early enough you can grab a chair on a sort of mini-balcony. That got me through more than one Skinny Puppy show.
If FM overkill is wrong, I don't want to be right. ★ starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:22 am

I'm sure I'd enjoy it but Kraftwerk without Florian is just odd. Then again there's something odd about 4 elderly men dressed like Tron standing at podiums like they're going to announce the new iPhone.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:05 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:22 am
I'm sure I'd enjoy it but Kraftwerk without Florian is just odd. Then again there's something odd about 4 elderly men dressed like Tron standing at podiums like they're going to announce the new iPhone.
Can’t say it’s ever been “young people’s music” to me...sad and weird to me would be watching Mick Jagger jumping around on stage on the brink of breaking a hip. Anyway, I see the tickets I got are now $180+, can’t say I would pay that...

chachi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chachi » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:44 am

i saw them in the 90’s, it wasn’t one of those shows where you are gonna be surprised cause they suddenly go into Autobahn from a sweet jammed out Pocket Calculator. although there was a moment where one of the “pocket calculator” controllers wasn’t working and there was kind of a moment where they were looking at whomever it was kinda chuckling and the audience was chuckling and that is about as laugh-filled as it got. not a live band, imo.

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:02 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:22 am
Then again there's something odd about 4 elderly men dressed like Tron standing at podiums like they're going to announce the new iPhone.
Doesn't matter at all provided it is a 3-D concert, meaning everybody is wearing these polarized filter "glasses" and enjoying the amazing graphic animations.

I saw Kraftwerk in Cologne/Germany in late November 2015, and will see them again (as in, I already have a ticket) this May in Bonn/Germany. The Cologne concert was, and the Bonn concert will be, 3-D shows.
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:34 pm

thx for the headsup!

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:33 pm

Speaking of tours without founding member states I just saw that Broadcast is coming to town sort of eerie with the coronavirus news. Seems even worse than the Misfits without Danzig.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:49 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:33 pm
Speaking of tours without founding member states I just saw that Broadcast is coming to town sort of eerie with the coronavirus news. Seems even worse than the Misfits without Danzig.
Broadcast or The Broadcast?

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:07 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:49 pm
onthebandwagon wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:33 pm
Broadcast or The Broadcast?
Oh shit, The Broadcast, didn’t even know they existed :bang: when I saw the email I decided to read more about the city coronavirus than to check into it :doh:

Return to “Artist Discussion”