Samba recommendations?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

jdaddyaz
Common Wiggler

Samba recommendations?

Post by jdaddyaz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:14 am

Its carnival in beautiful Brasil! :party: I really love those old samba songs of yesteryear, that are void of horn instruments, and are for the most part all percussion with chants layered on top. Any other people love this stuff? Recommendations? I'm trying to get some together to sample.

Side note- when I saw Derrick May many years ago, he played all samba for the last hour of his 5 hour set. For those who lasted, it was the highlight of the evening/morning.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Samba recommendations?

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:01 pm

I've always loved a lot of music that it influenced but never really dug into samba itself. Any suggestions?

shockletit
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shockletit » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:25 pm

You might dig this Baducada album on Mr. Bongo:

jdaddyaz
Common Wiggler

Post by jdaddyaz » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:21 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:01 pm
I've always loved a lot of music that it influenced but never really dug into samba itself. Any suggestions?

So off the top of my head right now,
One of my favorites Cartola. One of the pioneers of Samba, and just a really remarkable artist. His songs have so much emotion poured into them.
The Black Orpheussoundtrack is an example of some of the stuff I'm after. Really fun soundtrack to listen to, again, with a lot of emotion.

Antônio Carlos Jobim composed a lot of the songs for the above album, and had a prolific career in the Brazilian music industry.
Vinicius de Moraes, another song writer who had a pretty successful career, but primarily worked on Bossa Nova (another fantastic genre, and legendary preset on the CR78).
Another Bossa Nova giant, Ary Barroso. If you remember the Baia portion of The Three Caballeros, you've heard his work ("Os Quindins de Yayá", which is the song performed by the cookie vendor, Aurora Miranda).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

ZargZorg
Common Wiggler

Post by ZargZorg » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:52 pm

The entire album is genius. The man even played drums on Bitches Brew

joncharliefeathers
Common Wiggler

Post by joncharliefeathers » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:04 pm

I was in Rio for carnival in 1991. All the samba schools performed their carnival songs inside the concert hall situated on top of Sugar Loaf mountain. The collection was compiled onto CD.

Hope you enjoy this.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:45 pm

Nice thread! Of course I went instantly to thinking about Sismo's Samba since I they are gracious enough to make me one. (It's not been made for a couple of years...)

JonCharlieFeathers - great cat avatar!
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

smetak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by smetak » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:18 am

Not necessarily samba, more akin to choro - but some of the most brilliant renditions of Carioca classics by the late great Rafael Rabello and Seven-String Dino.

Here's a track from Noel Rosa's "Songbook" - couldn't find the entire thing, but there are various tracks YT - some very nice pieces reworked by many fine musicians dedicated to Mr. Rio de Janeiro himself, the legendary Noel Rosa.

Finally, here's one exceptional record by one of my favorite, all-time guitarrists, Bola Sete; a master of samba and bossa nova and who, unfortunately, has been forgotten around here.

Enjoy!

Return to “Artist Discussion”