Quirky Country Rock

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Quirky Country Rock

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:42 pm

I don’t mean alt rock Wilco stuff..just discovered The Marshall Tucker Band’s “Where We All Belong” and wonder if anyone might have similar suggestions...
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

GGW
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Quirky Country Rock

Post by GGW » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:21 pm

I'm not sure about quirky, but there are many good bands from that era. Hope you've heard the Allman Brothers.
Anything with Gram Parsons on it and the flying Burrito Brothers.
Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen is amazing in places.
That should get you started

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:33 pm

GGW wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:21 pm
I'm not sure about quirky, but there are many good bands from that era. Hope you've heard the Allman Brothers.
Anything with Gram Parsons on it and the flying Burrito Brothers.
Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen is amazing in places.
That should get you started
Ha yes I’ve heard of the Allman Brothers, guess I like the jazz aspect of The Marshall Tucker Band, the only Commander Cody song I’m familiar with is the Hot Rod Lincoln one (which is oddly memorable)—had no idea he made music in the country mode.

MoogProDG
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MoogProDG » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:48 pm

-Little Feat.
-Junior Brown.
-Ween 12 golden country greats.
____
_

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency, and vibration." - Tesla
BTByrd wrote:Know what's annoying? Making all your products bright fucking yellow and bespangling them with nutsacks. But I digress...

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:54 pm

MoogProDG wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:48 pm
-Little Feat.
-Junior Brown.
That Ween album is great although it only actually has 10 tracks.

MoogProDG
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MoogProDG » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:09 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:54 pm
MoogProDG wrote:
-Little Feat.
-Junior Brown.
It’s a homage to 20 Jazz Funk Greats.

Listen to Little Feat. Lowell George had an amazing musical tree that fed many scenes. Did more for modern music in 10 years than most do in a lifetime. A true pioneer.
____
_

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency, and vibration." - Tesla
BTByrd wrote:Know what's annoying? Making all your products bright fucking yellow and bespangling them with nutsacks. But I digress...

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:12 am

MoogProDG wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:09 pm
onthebandwagon wrote:
MoogProDG wrote:
-Little Feat.
-Junior Brown.

Listen to Little Feat. Lowell George had an amazing musical tree that fed many scenes. Did more for modern music in 10 years than most do in a lifetime. A true pioneer.
I use to hear them a bit on a collage radio station but didn’t pay much attention at the time, it investigate.

The opening track to Where’s We All Belong really suck me in... opening riff made me think it was a Dead song

[bbvideo]][/bbvideo]

MoogProDG
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MoogProDG » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:13 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:12 am
MoogProDG wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
MoogProDG wrote:
-Little Feat.
-Junior Brown.

I use to hear them a bit on a collage radio station but didn’t pay much attention at the time, it investigate.

The opening track to Where’s We All Belong really suck me in... opening riff made me think it was a Dead song

[bbvideo]][/bbvideo]

There’s a great one liner here in the south among musicians- “Every Yankee’s favorite ABB song is ‘Can’t You See”. I’m technically a Yankee by the way.

I would compare the Marshall Tucker Band to a band like America far more than anything like Grateful Dead. They strategically ripped sounds from other artists, regurgitating them into charting products. It’s not a bad play for the bank, but it’s all surface. I’m not saying they are not a good band/Toy Caldwell wasn’t a good song writer.... but I wouldn’t call them quirky country or southern rock. It’s more like commercial pop/folk/country inspired music played by southerners. You should check out the history of Capricorn- the Waldens were always great and shaping certain acts to keep the lights. And to think... that whole genre wouldn’t even exist if Otis Redding didn’t pass. Basically all stems from Phil Walden, Tommy Dowd and of course Duane.
____
_

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:19 am

MoogProDG wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:13 am
onthebandwagon wrote:
MoogProDG wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
MoogProDG wrote:
-Little Feat.
-Junior Brown.

[bbvideo]][/bbvideo]

There’s a great one liner here in the south among musicians- “Every Yankee’s favorite ABB song is ‘Can’t You See”. I’m technically a Yankee by the way.

I would compare the Marshall Tucker Band to a band like America far more than anything like Grateful Dead. They strategically ripped sounds from other artists, regurgitating them into charting products. It’s not a bad play for the bank, but it’s all surface. I’m not saying they are not a good band/Toy Caldwell wasn’t a good song writer.... but I wouldn’t call them quirky country or southern rock. It’s more like commercial pop/folk/country inspired music played by southerners. You should check out the history of Capricorn- the Waldens were always great and shaping certain acts to keep the lights. And to think... that whole genre wouldn’t even exist if Otis Redding didn’t pass. Basically all stems from Phil Walden, Tommy Dowd and of course Duane.
I haven’t really spent enough time with them to have a full opinion, I guess I meant quirky regarding a melding of genres, that song to me goes from sounding like the Dead, to something by Willie Nelson to something Van Morrison then comes in that squeaky fiddle solo. Guess it’s just feel good music, but could see how it would of been popular in a beer guzzling southern fraternity in the 70s...

MoogProDG
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MoogProDG » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:24 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:19 am
MoogProDG wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
MoogProDG wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
MoogProDG wrote:
-Little Feat.
-Junior Brown.

[bbvideo]][/bbvideo]

I haven’t really spent enough time with them to have a full opinion, I guess I meant quirky regarding a melding of genres, that song to me goes from sounding like the Dead, to something by Willie Nelson to something Van Morrison then comes in that squeaky fiddle solo. Guess it’s just feel good music, but could see how it would of been popular in a beer guzzling southern fraternity in the 70s...
Feel good music is an apt description.
____
_

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:26 am

MoogProDG wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:24 am
onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:19 am
MoogProDG wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
MoogProDG wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
MoogProDG wrote:
-Little Feat.
-Junior Brown.

[bbvideo]][/bbvideo]

Feel good music is an apt description.
Tell me how you really feel... not sure if you know the band War on Drugs but the guy from Sun Kil Moon described them as beer commercial music, now that’s a good insult!

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:33 am

Actually he wrote a whole song on the subject, you might find it amusing:

“sounded like generic John Fogerty rock, the next song is called War on Drugs can suck my cock”

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:59 am

this album in a absolute treasure: Henry Flynt & Nova'Billy. oscillates from country jams like this one to amphetamine fueled driving jazzy improv. haven't listened in quite a while, gonna have to hook up the turntable when i get home

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:06 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
MoogProDG wrote:
Allegedly the '12' refers to the 12 Nashville session 'greats' on the album.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:12 am

muleskinner wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:06 am
onthebandwagon wrote:
MoogProDG wrote:
digging all the wigglers down with the brown here

Torn n Frayed
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Torn n Frayed » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:15 am

+1 for Little Feat, perhaps the most underrated/unknown band of all time, IMO. Would also add in some Leon Russell, the master of Space and Time!! And some Delaney & Bonnie !!!

Last edited by Torn n Frayed on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:17 am

muleskinner wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
MoogProDG wrote:
Yes but they obviously made it only 10 tracks in their usual misgevrious Ween way...

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:21 am

dooj88 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:12 am
muleskinner wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
MoogProDG wrote:
Funny thing about Ween is when you listen to their country or sea shanty album it becomes so obvious that they could of made “less weird” high charting songs if they wanted too, both of those albums have really catchy moments.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:39 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:21 am
dooj88 wrote:
muleskinner wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
MoogProDG wrote:
Funny thing about Ween is when you listen to their country or sea shanty album it becomes so obvious that they could of made “less weird” high charting songs if they wanted too, both of those albums have really catchy moments.
they could have, but in mickey's own words, "ween is a life sentence." they've been a festival staple for years now, and had some recognition due to their relationship with stephen hillenburg. rather than chasing recognition, they made art on their terms and it came to them.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:42 am

dooj88 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:39 am
onthebandwagon wrote:
dooj88 wrote:
muleskinner wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
MoogProDG wrote:
they could have, but in mickey's own words, "ween is a life sentence." they've been a festival staple for years now, and had some recognition due to their relationship with stephen hillenburg. rather than chasing recognition, they made art on their terms and it came to them.
Growing up near the band and actually seeing them booed on stage opening for someone on a few occasions I was pretty surprised when I saw them on MTV probably on 120 minutes.

what gives?
Common Wiggler

Post by what gives? » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:54 am

Meat puppets. Now there's quirky country rock if i ever heard it.

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:58 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
They are one of several bands that never got the recognition they deserved because they were 'too' quirky and thus the music press (and many listeners) wrote them off as a 'joke' band. I'm not so keen on some of their more outright piss-take tunes (particularly 'The Blarney Stone, which really drags down 'The Mollusc' IMO) but overall they're one of my favourite bands.

Another band I'd put into this category, and rate even more highly, are Camper Van-Beethoven. Their 'Key Lime Pie' and 'Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart' albums are both outstanding (and contain plenty of quirky country-rock numbers between them). Sadly they got pretty much written off as a joke by most people early in their career because of 'Take The Skinheads Bowling'.

Butthole Surfers also, at least everything up to and including the mighty 'Locust Abortion Technician'.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:21 am

muleskinner wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:58 am
onthebandwagon wrote:
They are one of several bands that never got the recognition they deserved because they were 'too' quirky and thus the music press (and many listeners) wrote them off as a 'joke' band. I'm not so keen on some of their more outright piss-take tunes (particularly 'The Blarney Stone, which really drags down 'The Mollusc' IMO) but overall they're one of my favourite bands.

Another band I'd put into this category, and rate even more highly, are Camper Van-Beethoven. Their 'Key Lime Pie' and 'Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart' albums are both outstanding (and contain plenty of quirky country-rock numbers between them). Sadly they got pretty much written off as a joke by most people early in their career because of 'Take The Skinheads Bowling'.

Butthole Surfers also, at least everything up to and including the mighty 'Locust Abortion Technician'.
I’ll stand by my assertion that “She Wanted to Leave” is as good as anything the Pogues have written.

I’m listening to Key Lime Pie now- thanks.

Too bad The Beta Band didn’t go country...

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:04 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:21 am
I’ll stand by my assertion that “She Wanted to Leave” is as good as anything the Pogues have written.
I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, I'm a massive MacGowan fan, but it's definitely up there :hihi:
onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:21 am
I’m listening to Key Lime Pie now- thanks.

Too bad The Beta Band didn’t go country...
I've never listened to The Beta Band but have always meant to. I'll put them on my mental list (again)!

Another one you may enjoy that I've got really into recently - King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. Their recent 'Fishing For Fishies' LP has a bunch of really quirky rootsy tracks on it as well as some pretty far-out synth stuff towards the end. 'I'm In Your Mind' fuzz is my favourite LP of theirs but that's more kind of psych-garage. They remind me of Ween at times too.

colossus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colossus » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:11 pm

Definitely Goose Creek Symphony

Return to “Artist Discussion”