Len Faki - BX3 - What is going on here?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Len Faki - BX3 - What is going on here?

Post by Mr. Aloud » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:51 pm

Is it just me :nutter: or does this track feature some really weird timing tricks?

It seems rhythm is shifting and flipping over all the time :hmm: I lack the ability to analyze this properly, so if someone can explain what´s going on....

The loop starting around 0:46 seems to be slightly off, the accent is moving all the time. Or is it simply two versions of the same loop with different accents?

The delay at 2:02 is kinda average dotted something, but when full beat starts around 2:50 the downbeat messes with my timing orientation again.

What´s happening here?

It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

folpon
Common Wiggler

Re: Len Faki - BX3 - What is going on here?

Post by folpon » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:07 pm

The main loop (the one that comes in at :46) starts on the "and" of the first beat of the measure, rather than on the downbeat, but it has a delay on it that is one "and" long, which means the delayed sound aligns with the downbeat. This makes a very cool and interesting feel, I agree.

Mr. Aloud
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Aloud » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:14 pm

Thanks for explaning the positioning!

I wonder: Is that all? It seems there is an ever so slightly shifting of accents over a few bars, a bit like micro polyrhythm, as if the loop was little longer/shorter than it should be, but it stays in time over a longer period or catches up every nth bar.

I thought of a phenomena I´ve read about (and experienced) called "Wechselworte" ("changing words"). Coined by Heinz von Foerster ("Second-order cybernetics") in 1973. It is described as an effect that happens with monotonic loops of speech: You take a word or short sentence, loop it forever and then, after a certain time, typically between 50-150 repetitions, the brain is getting bored and shifts the beginning and end of the loop, trying to find something else that makes sense. You then start hearing different words. The effect here is similar, but without the large number of reps. That´s why I think that is not what´s going on here, so I´m looking for an explanation.

What happens in this track is probably just a similar effect based on something completely different (read that in your John Cleese voice). But jokes aside, I´m more than intrigued and would like to understand how it´s done. May be all in my head, I dunno.

Do you recognize that shifting accent too?
It would seem that still, after all these years, perception is essentially thought to be a passive process.

folpon
Common Wiggler

Post by folpon » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:24 pm

When I listen closely and compare 1:20 to 3:15 I think you are right: there is also a slight change in the delay time, so that in later sections the delay is not quite as clean a subdivision of one beat, or half a beat, but somewhere in between. It does shift a bit.

There is also a lot of frequency stuff going on. It sounds as if a comb filter, or eq, if being changed to add variety throughout the track.

The "Wechselworte" idea is very interesting! Thank you for sharing that thought. :)

Return to “Artist Discussion”