Broadcast

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Broadcast

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:29 am

I use to listen to a lot of Two Pure bands when I was younger, Pram etc., but they got tired a shirt they often seemed to be “throw back”, a little too retro. I might even extend that to early Stereolab. It took me well into my adult life and after the death of Trish Keenan to begin listening to Broadcast, despite having that’s “psychedelic” element they never struck me as stuck in an era, very much created something new, maybe a good part of that also has to do with Keenan’s excellent lyrics, such a shame about her untimely passing but it’s one of those deaths that in some odd way mystifies the person and their work.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

pixelmechanic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Broadcast

Post by pixelmechanic » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:40 pm

The Noise Made By People continues to be one of my favourite albums, can easily let it play on repeat.

Come On Let's Go in particular is something that I play as a standalone track when I'm dipping into my collection.

Some of the later albums didn't grab me as much, although Pendulum (on Ha Ha Sound) is another standalone track I like to play on repeat!

There was an interesting edge to them that suited the slightly nostalgic and retro feel, although for me the references I think when I think of them are more TV oriented (The Avengers, Randall & Hopkirk, UFO)

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:38 pm

One of my favorites. When I first heard them I thought they were following on the coattails of Stereolab and Portishead with the kraut and 60s/70s soundtrack influences. But when I started listening to them more I heard what made them different—the late 60s psych vibe, musique concrète elements, BBC Radiophonic tones, smart lyrics, etc. I like Tender Buttons—with it’s stripped down drum machine and fizzy SID sounds—-just as much as The Noise Made By People.

They also did a fantastic job on the soundtrack for Berberian Sound Studio. It sets the mood so perfectly.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:48 pm

As much as I like Stereolab I never get “lost in the music” as I do with Broadcast, who I have no idea of what equipment they use or even stop to think about it, also something very therapeutic about Keenan’s voice.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:10 pm

You might wanna check out Unloved. They go for some of the same late 60s mellow psych/yé-yé/soundtrack vibes.

And, if you don’t know them, United States Of America

Liddlepud
Awfully Common Wiggler

Post by Liddlepud » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:39 am

I still regulalrly listen to Broadcast and The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age. It's one of my favourite albums and doesn't seem to get old, even after repeated listens.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:12 am

Wonders - amazing music & lovely people.
Had a few links to them when I was already a big fan - a member of their live band for a couple of years got a few Weevil-y designs for such performances.
I designed my first standalone PT Delay after getting them along to The Cube Cinema, here in Bristol, & doing sound for them - must have been one of their last UK shows. Had a good chat with Trish about hands-on delay design.. I seem to remember that I heard the news of her passing right when I was releasing the resultant design (like within a day or two).

ws9848
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ws9848 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:02 am

Sometimes when I see bands I like and they play too long I think to myself enough is enough already I’m ready for this to be over... but Broadcast is the only band I have ever seen where I did not want them to stop.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:20 pm

BugBrand wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:12 am
Wonders - amazing music & lovely people.
Had a few links to them when I was already a big fan - a member of their live band for a couple of years got a few Weevil-y designs for such performances.
I designed my first standalone PT Delay after getting them along to The Cube Cinema, here in Bristol, & doing sound for them - must have been one of their last UK shows. Had a good chat with Trish about hands-on delay design.. I seem to remember that I heard the news of her passing right when I was releasing the resultant design (like within a day or two).
I have a huge soft spot for Broadcast and for the first pt delay, delightful that there is a thread between the two.

ron12
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ron12 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:03 pm

My best friend turned me onto them in the early 2000s and I have been a fan ever since. I think I saw them play on the haha sound tour and the witch cults tour shortly before Trish passed away.
Both times seeing them blew my mind. They are definitely one of those timeless bands that will never get worn out. I’m going to go put some broadcast on now.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:11 am

Somehow I never listened to much beyond Tender Buttons and Ha Ha Sound, will have to revisit those other albums. I can’t help but to think of Trish’s bangs on the Tender Buttons cover when listening to their music. Something soft and mysterious about her, otherworldly.

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:01 am

The thing about Broadcast that I don't hear mentioned is that they were a phenomenal live band. I saw them multiple times every time they toured the USA. Each tour was different, and even two shows on back to back days in different cities would be different and both excellent.

felt body
Learning to Wiggle

Post by felt body » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:19 am

Has anyone else here grabbed the Children of Alice LP that came out a few years back? Absolutely wonderful tape loops and experiments by James Cargill (one half of the mastermind duo behind Broadcast) - dedicated to Trish. Some of the most emotional abstract musique concréte I've listened to, probably because it makes me think of Trish!

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:18 am

felt body wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:19 am
Has anyone else here grabbed the Children of Alice LP that came out a few years back? Absolutely wonderful tape loops and experiments by James Cargill (one half of the mastermind duo behind Broadcast) - dedicated to Trish. Some of the most emotional abstract musique concréte I've listened to, probably because it makes me think of Trish!
Just my cup of tea, thanks.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

ws9848
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ws9848 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:41 am

felt body wrote:
Yes, I have that. :tu:

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:35 pm

I named my kid after Trish.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:21 am

Liddlepud wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:39 am
I still regulalrly listen to Broadcast and The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age. It's one of my favourite albums and doesn't seem to get old, even after repeated listens.

Ordered. Never heard of these guys before. :guinness:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Skiff, Waveform Laboratory, Funboat

IanEye
Common Wiggler

curiouser &

Post by IanEye » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:11 am

felt body wrote:
Has anyone else here grabbed the Children of Alice LP that came out a few years back?
Absolutely wonderful tape loops and experiments
+1 on Children of Alice.

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:00 pm

Thanks so much for this thread. Never heard Broadcast before today and I'm ... transfixed. Just what today ordered.

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:18 pm

they have NO bad songs
top 21st century pop band
the best

ws9848
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ws9848 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:13 pm

Reese P. Dubin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:18 pm
they have NO bad songs
top 21st century pop band
the best
That’s a true statement right there

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:21 pm

This is a real banger...

dialekt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dialekt » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:26 pm

Good band but not comparable to Stereolab in any way. Unless you want to say Broadcast has ripped their entire sound off of Stereolab and tries to be creative with little Atari noises cut out in the mixes so they can feel creative or vindicated :)

tioJim
Ultra Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:45 am

As Bristol, Portishead and Krautrock have all been mentioned it feels like a good time to note Geoff Barrow's

BEAK>

Most excellent live, if anybody remembers what that is; live music. :waah:

Sounding a bit Silver Apples here

Also as we mentioned Portishead if you never got as far as their third album 'Third' then you must. It's a masterpiece. Different from the others but still utterly Portishead.

J_Behan
Common Wiggler

Post by J_Behan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:05 am

A great band, one of my favourites along with Stereolab from the past 20 years. Stereolab did release Broadcast's first 2 singles on their Duophonic label, so there was obviously some mutual appreciation going on there. But I think comparisons between the two are often a bit unfair and do neither band any service. Stereolab's music was an ever-changing mish-mash of their many influences, whereas I think Broadcast's sound was a little more focused. You get a real sense of that English pastoral psych/folk vibe from Broadcast's music that I don't hear in Stereolab's music.
All their releases were day one purchases for me. Ha Ha Sound is probably my favorite album of the three but they're all great in their own right. Their eps often threw up some gems on the b-sides also. I was gutted to hear of Trish Keenan's passing. I loved her singing style which reminded me of certain English folk and pop singers of the 60s. Restrained and unassuming with no over-bearing vocal histronics that too many singers seem to go for these days. A mighty band that never put out a bad record.

Return to “Artist Discussion”