Music you sort of get but can't get get into

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Music you sort of get but can't get get into

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:59 am

I use to really enjoy driving to the Run Lola Run soundtrack, is that considered techno?
I criticize by creation and by finding fault

"I'm on stage its all an act, I'm really scared that I may fall back on the abstract
It'd be exactly where I'm at"

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:26 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:02 pm
Well, someone drank the pitchfork Kool aid.
i don't use music review websites to tell me how to listen to an album, or really at all for that matter. don't think i've looked at p4k since 2010, which seems to have turned into a resource for people who use music as a status symbol. if anything that's a statement on your music diet.

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:53 am

For me it’s Radiohead. They are probably the most critically revered band of my generation but to me it all sounds like pastiche.
The first album is 90% bobbins, with one popular song that has thom yorke mewling over the top.
The bends is four years too late grunge with mewling.
OK Computer is overwrought classic rock with mewling.
Then Kid A is like amateur bedroom versions of Autechre and other Warp acts with mewling over the top.
I haven’t heard anything since, as I left university and lost contact with my friends who liked them.

On the other hand, LCD Soundsystem have gone from a guilty pleasure to one of my favourite bands. But then I’m an ageing hipster with two kids and I can’t take pills and go out all weekend now. Which is exactly what JM is singing about.
However, I can fully understand why people wouldn’t like them as they are essentially pastiche.
Full circle!

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:59 am

fac wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:42 am
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:04 pm
For those who replied "jazz" and "Bach" you might as well have just said "music". If there isn't something within those two vast arenas that you can't appreciate, then you are probably not alive.
I replied "jazz" and I know what you mean in the sense that most modern music is somehow derivative from jazz and blues. But let me explain...

First of all, the thread is "music you get but can't get into". This is not "music you don't like or can't appreciate". I like jazz (I'm talking about classic jazz here - Miles, Coltrane, Monk, Parker, etc.), but always in small doses and preferably live. Listening to and watching a live jazz band is amazing and I admire those guys. But I just can't really get into it as I do with other artists (where I try to explore most of what they've done). I have a few records but I rarely listen to them. And it is weird because one of my favorite genres is jazz-based golden age hip hop. I really want to get more into it, but I quickly get tired of it.
Gotta say, you're taking a very narrow slice here. What you described as "classic" is not actually classic, it's bebop and its derivatives (hard-bop/post-bop, avante-garde jazz, and cool jazz). Classic jazz is several decades older, originating in what we now call Dixieland jazz. Musicians like Jellyroll Morton, Bix Beiderbecke, Louis Armstrong. That evolved into orchestral jazz epitomized by the likes of Duke Ellington, which evolved into swing. Bebop came along after that, followed by the various bop variants, cool jazz, free jazz, fusion, and the abomination that is smooth jazz; among so many others.

Saying you don't like jazz is like saying you don't like rock or pop. It's such a huge genre with so much variation, it's can't really be nailed down like that.

I'm a big fan of some types of jazz, not so much others even if I can appreciate the skill and vision that goes into them. I love bebop and its offshoots, including free jazz (which is a bit challenging for a lot of people); as well as cool jazz. I also like Dixieland and swing, although not as much.

What I really can't get into are some of the crossover genres, like Latin jazz, or some of the various fusion genres.

Which brings up a another type of music I really can't get into, despite appreciating the ability that goes into it, which is pretty much all Latin-derived music. Flamenco, bossa nova, samba, mariachi, classical Spanish guitar, and other forms of Spanish, Portuguese, Latin American, South American, and other musical derivations. Something about the rhythms and modes used just rub me the wrong way; which is unfortunate, since I can recognize the quality of the quality of the music even if I can't personally appreciate it. There are exceptions, but few and far between.

I'll go on the record agreeing about Radiohead. It's great music, but it also grates on my nerves.

Listening to classical opera always leaves me feeling uneducated and unable to grasp what's going on.

I'm a big metalhead, and love just about all kinds of metal, including (especially) really wanky prog metal (Animals As Leaders FTW), some extreme metal, and particularly NWOBHM. Even some glam metal and fusion metal. I'm a bit more selective on the specific bands I like, but I still love the genres. However, I just cannot get into black metal, which always sounds overbearingly tryhard edgelord; and I'm generally put off by the bombast and self-importance of power metal (although it can be fun at times). All while still appreciating the skill that goes into it.
Last edited by luchog on Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:00 am

OPN. Seems like he'd be fun to hang with though. Also a fellow Masshole.

Bon Iver (mentioned in another thread alongside OPN)--I participated in a remix contest of them once. Good thing I wasn't precious about the source material, cos I made a really good remix but it had no vocals because boring.

BoC's Geogaddi in particular--I find it incredibly incoherent as an album, and this kind of thing is important to me (I find Tomorrow's Harvest spectacular as a unit, and am a BoC fan in general). Tracks taken individually on Geogaddi are fantastic to me, but it has no flow. And I really don't have time for the hidden message trainspotters (sic?).

DJ Shadow. Instrumental hip-hop for rock critics who hadn't heard DJs Krush, Cam, or Food. Or so many other things I could list. Still find Entroducing tedious. I once heard a record store employee say DJ Shadow played all the samples live off of vinyl. No, that was DJ Q-bert you fool. >sigh<

Another for 3rd wave ska. I guess it's fun? I'm a 1st wave snob. RIP Toots.

Live reggae. I freaking love Burning Spear's album Marcus Garvey, so I went to see them live. I had no idea it was possible to make one's music sound so bland and uniform. A remarkable achievement in a sense. Though I could understand why the skunky crowd were digging it.

Movie soundtrack music. I get why it's a thing to appreciate, but I've only ever bought soundtracks that have songs used in the film, not for the incidental music. And along those lines...

Stranger Things soundtrack.

Napalm Death. I'm such a huge Godflesh/Scorn/extended Birmingham '90s scene fan that I thought I'd dig Scum. I appreciate it for what it did, but I'm just not into it.

Foo Fighters. Much prefer Nirvana and SDRE, and still listen to both regularly.

This was fun! Great idea for a little opinionated self-reflection.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:33 am

dooj88 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:26 am
onthebandwagon wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:02 pm
Well, someone drank the pitchfork Kool aid.
i don't use music review websites to tell me how to listen to an album, or really at all for that matter. don't think i've looked at p4k since 2010, which seems to have turned into a resource for people who use music as a status symbol. if anything that's a statement on your music diet.
Not sure about the last part but it is a bit presumptious or condescending to think people aren't into OPN because of glitchy sounds, I'm pretty sure many of the respondents in this thread are astute enough to perceive his attempts at creating a narrative on his albums.

"I'm on stage its all an act, I'm really scared that I may fall back on the abstract

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hyberus » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:28 pm

There's this music collective in England called Hyberus, that I really ought to get, but don't.
Random is the new maRnod

BWBKc6VyUr
Common Wiggler

Post by BWBKc6VyUr » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:44 pm

National anthems
WTB:
Veils (pre-2020)
TipTop stackable cables

FS:
Arturia Beatstep Pro (white) - £150 + shipping
Antumbra 6MIX - £75 + shipping
Kassutronics Slope 2 - £110 + shipping

InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by InsectInPixel » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:47 pm

Another one for me is Nurse With Wound. I’ve always loved Dadaism. But “audio dada” NWW style doesn’t hit home for me. I bought some rare NWW cds in the 80’s but it just never resonated with me. Maybe psychedelics are needed to fully enjoy it.
Next up, Muslimgauze. This is tough. I want to say I like Bryn’s (RIP) work. Bits and pieces are creative on a sound production point of view. His catalogue is so massive, it’s just overwhelming. Someone told me “If you heard one Muslimgauze song, you hear ‘em all”. Bryn did really make a niche name for himself. Just reading his song titles is quite an education if you’re a curious person.
Maybe I should say, Muslimgauze is good in small doses and requires a lot of thought after. He had some badass time sigs though!
Lastly, Guided by Voices. Does nothing for me.
Ok ok one more: Bjork. I just can’t.
I’ll stop babbling. 🤓
Last edited by InsectInPixel on Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:01 pm

Yes, I find Jazz hard to get into but enjoy Chet Baker and Astor Pizzola who has a strong Jazz element. Some music I think it takes time to grow into, aka it comes with age, but I think the opposite is true for Radiohead.

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:43 pm

Radiohead will be crying into their modulars if they read this thread

NewNewRon
Common Wiggler

Post by NewNewRon » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:48 pm

Patti Smith - Horses. I've tried four times. OK, it's spirited...

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:03 pm

Almost all prog rock. The only band that gets the "prog" label that I absolutely love is Voivod.

Jam bands. It is basically prog rock via dicking around.

Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett. Switched On Bach. Tangerine Dream, except they have a handful of albums I like. The Beach Boys. Radiohead. Most psychedelic rock - I think because descriptions and ideologies of it creates a much more vast picture in my head than the music usually ends up being - but there is some absolutely amazing psychedelic rock so I definitely don't mean all of it.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:11 pm

NewNewRon wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:48 pm
Patti Smith - Horses. I've tried four times. OK, it's spirited...
I feel that for sure. For me, that album took listening to Richard Hell And The Voidoids' Blank Generation, then Television's Marquee Moon, then the Patti Smith Group's Radio Ethiopia before I had my "ah ha!" moment with it. All that, of course, after the Ramones. Oh, and Patti Smith's song "Piss Factory".
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

NewNewRon
Common Wiggler

Post by NewNewRon » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:22 pm

I enjoy all those records, except Radio Ethiopia, which I don't mind but don't love. Love Piss Factory. I'm very old, BTW, bought these records when they came out.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:59 pm

Fog Door wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:43 pm
Radiohead will be crying into their modulars if they read this thread
It's interesting how often Radiohead popped up in this thread. I feel relieved, I always thought there was something wrong with me. :hihi: Maybe there should be a "For people who get but can't get into Radiohead" subforum.

naturligfunktion
Ultra Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:28 am

I am happy that someone mention it, but I dont get Radiohead either! It is cool music, sure, but I cant see myself getting through an entire album.

I feel very similar to David Bowie actually. I have huge respect for him, love the hits. But I never just put on David Bowie for fun
Sparse drum beat tinkering over a massive drone, haunted by gloomy vocals, echoing a sense of doom...

Bandcamp

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:54 am

Hyberus wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:28 pm
There's this music collective in England called Hyberus, that I really ought to get, but don't.
:hihi:
Facebook apologises for flagging Plymouth Hoe as offensive term

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:36 am

Feel the same. Except for his collaboration with Nile Rogers on Let's Dance and his collab with Freddie Mercury.
But then Freddie is the definition of fun music, fun lyrics, fun persona.
naturligfunktion wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:28 am
I am happy that someone mention it, but I dont get Radiohead either! It is cool music, sure, but I cant see myself getting through an entire album.

I feel very similar to David Bowie actually. I have huge respect for him, love the hits. But I never just put on David Bowie for fun

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:53 am

I guess I should add Big Star... Way too depressing.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:59 am

InsectInPixel wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:47 pm

Lastly, Guided by Voices. Does nothing for me.
Ok ok one more: Bjork. I just can’t.
I’ll stop babbling. 🤓
Guided By Voices should of edited themselves and released 3 albums vs 30.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:09 am

frank ocean. i just don't get the hype.

oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldenjon » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:31 am

dooj88 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:51 pm

OPN : I felt like you until recently. Then I tried R PLUS SEVEN and I really got it. Feels like a Windows95 symphony.
Squarepusher : Really!! I feel the distaste for Venitian Snare but it's hard not to like the work of T. Jenkinson. Maybe try Welcome to Europe...
Zappa : A lot of variety in his music. Maybe you could try Lumpy Gravy primordial (the mix without the annoying voices all over the place).

OPN: interesting, r+7 was a solid dislike for me: felt like a watered down mash of vaporwave, replica's spastic lofi sampling glitchiness and returnal on on more modern synths. not quite coherent or potent enough to be compelling. but as far as getting into OPN: check out 'Rifts' and 'Returnal' for 106 synth indulgence. 'Replica' is my favorite, best listened to in a state of suggestion and openness just before or after sleep. it's a hypnagogic trip wrapped into delicious classic synth sounds.

i think a lot of people are turned off by the glitchy/repeating sounds, but if you trust the artist's decisions to actually create a narrative with the choices made, it's easier to accept it rather than go "what the fuck is this?" lopatin is a thinker and an artist, to me he deserves the trust and it's worth exploring what he's saying.
Well that would make sense considering the guy invented vaporwave. I think OPN is often self-referential and some albums are best listened to after others. Seriously one of my favorite artists. Everything he does surprises me and shows a mastery over technology, composition and sensibility that I can't compare to anyone (except imitators), even if the really great moments are difficult to get to sometimes. I guess I like challenging music. The new album is pretty great btw, it's like listening to the radio on some otherworldly / alternate universe road trip. Notes of replica, some film-worthy composition, recent pop influences, and even what I would consider fully fleshed out eccojams (eccosongs).

Music that I sort of get but get can't into is some of the classic IDM stuff, like Autechre & Aphex Twin. Some of it is great, but a lot of it is just unremarkable to me and it's difficult for me to understand how people worship these artists.
Last edited by oldenjon on Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:44 am

i know, the unabashed indulgence of eccojams is an album i return to once or twice a year.

cinnatoastg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cinnatoastg » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:20 am

luchog wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:59 am
Saying you don't like jazz is like saying you don't like rock or pop. It's such a huge genre with so much variation, it's can't really be nailed down like that.
It's perfectly acceptable to say you don't like rock or pop though and you would know what someone means. I've disliked anything/everything I've heard when I walk into a jazz club. Is there jazz I would like? Probably somewhere, as mentioned it has been a very influential and prolific genre. But if you say "I don't like jazz" most people will know what you mean, including jazz artists.

I'd add jazz to this, pretty much any prog rock also.
WTB - Piston Honda MK3, Bionic Lester MK3

Return to “Artist Discussion”