Klaus Schulze-like musicians

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

ericD13
Wiggling with Experience

Klaus Schulze-like musicians

Post by ericD13 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:14 pm

Hello everyone

There are lots of bands playing music that sounds like Tangerine Dream.
But I never heard music reminiscent of Klaus Schulze.
Do you know any ?
"Unfortunately it took me forty years to conclude that nothing is possible outside DoReMi."
P. Schaeffer

Lots of 5U modules to sell in europe :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=219781

nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Klaus Schulze-like musicians

Post by nostalghia » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:27 pm

“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:50 pm

Do you know any ?
Wow, has Klaus Schulze not produced enough material to satisfy your hunger? He has put out some box sets containing an INSANE amount of material. By the time you have listened through those, you won't want to hear anything that sounds like Klaus Schulze again :lol: (only joking I am a big fan ) :sb:

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:52 pm

Some 15 years ago, Klaus Schulze's former manager threatened me to sue me for unauthorisedly using KS music as a backdrop for my own... I didn't know Schulze had patented the S&H rhythm from his Odyssey but, apparently, my work was a bit too close for comfort. Try Totem Poles:

Other than that, on this album I had the privilege to use KS' original Mellotron tape frames (Split Choir, Eight Choir), installed in Edgar Froese's Novatron Mk. 5 (and, about a year earlier, I had already had the pleasure to put KS' original Mellotron Mk. 5 through its paces).

Stephen

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hyberus » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:48 am

ericD13 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:14 pm
Hello everyone

There are lots of bands playing music that sounds like Tangerine Dream.
Do you know any ?
Back in the early 1980s there was a musician called Adelbert von Deyen (mentioned in the recent 'Krautrock' solo releases thread) who made albums that sounded very similar to early Klaus Schulze, and even had cover art that was reminiscent of some of Schulze's. I bought a couple of them at the time, but didn't like them much, and sold them on. There were also a couple of later albums by Mythos that came close to the early Schulze sound (their earlier albums being a bit more prog, to be honest)

Better (in my humble opinion): Schulze's protoge Robert Schroeder.
Random is the new maRnod

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:25 am

Hyberus wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:48 am
[...] Adelbert von Deyen [...] Robert Schroeder.
KDM (Schulze's then-manager) *hated* AvD for his flat-footed approach at mimicking KS (and frankly, I always felt AvD's stuff was a bit too simplistic to be *really* intriguing).

Robert Schroeder never sounded too much like Schulze, even though there were (and probably still are) close ties between him and Schulze. As a matter of fact, Schulze supported the fledgling musician RS but he quickly became famous for his own work in his own right.

Stephen

ModHiisi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ModHiisi » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:49 am

If you're on the lookout for IRRLICHT period Schulze, check out Mikhail Chekalin' s MEDITAVE MUSIC FOR PREPARED ELECTRIC ORGAN Vol. 1-3!

Highly underrated!

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hyberus » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:04 am

doombient.music wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:25 am
Hyberus wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:48 am
[...] Adelbert von Deyen [...] Robert Schroeder.
KDM (Schulze's then-manager) *hated* AvD for his flat-footed approach at mimicking KS (and frankly, I always felt AvD's stuff was a bit too simplistic to be *really* intriguing).

Robert Schroeder never sounded too much like Schulze, even though there were (and probably still are) close ties between him and Schulze. As a matter of fact, Schulze supported the fledgling musician RS but he quickly became famous for his own work in his own right.

Stephen
As I said, I bought and quickly re-sold AvD. I honestly don't know what he was thinking. Robert Schroeder's earliest releases are quite Schulze-like, but he did find his own voice later. Interestingly none of the other releases on either IC or In-team were particularly like Schulze, except the ones that he was directly involved with.
Random is the new maRnod

ModHiisi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ModHiisi » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:09 am

Oh, and Esa Kotilainen' s AJATUSLAPSI (1977) comes close to some of KS' s 70's work in some aspects. The first side was already somewhat outdated for '76-'77 when it was recorded/released, and annoying at times with it's keyboard noodlery etc. But the second side is more minimalistic and timeless!

johny_gtr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:55 am

the best for me from TD/KS "berlin-school sound" - Redshift (UK) band. Great tracks, great mix. Only one issue - no vinyls (
modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

kinkujin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kinkujin » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:28 pm

johny_gtr wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:55 am
the best for me from TD/KS "berlin-school sound" - Redshift (UK) band. Great tracks, great mix. Only one issue - no vinyls (
Thanks for this tip @johnny gtr !

ModHiisi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ModHiisi » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:13 am

Redshift seems to me a sub late 70´s T-Dream pastiche. The new album is more like a rock band with heavy 70's German influences (Manuel Göttsching etc.). From the stuff I've heard, can't hear KS so much in there...

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steffengrondahl » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:00 am

Mark Shreeve (of Redshift) made some Schulze like albums early in his career. I've got "Thoughts Of War" from 1981 which IMO is more Schulze than Tangerine Dream.

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hyberus » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:53 am

steffengrondahl wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:00 am
Mark Shreeve (of Redshift) made some Schulze like albums early in his career. I've got "Thoughts Of War" from 1981 which IMO is more Schulze than Tangerine Dream.
His earlier, cassette only, albums were also quite Schulzian. But his later material went down the heavy, rhythmic route that Tangerine Dream also went down.
Random is the new maRnod

nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:04 am

Yeah, I like some of the Redshift stuff, but I think among the newer “Berlin school” artists, the Node guys are a lot closer to the Klaus Schulze style on several of their tracks, for example this one:

“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

kinkujin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kinkujin » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:45 am

nostalghia wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:04 am
Yeah, I like some of the Redshift stuff, but I think among the newer “Berlin school” artists, the Node guys are a lot closer to the Klaus Schulze style on several of their tracks, for example this one:

This is also fabulous. Apparently, I'm really into Berlin School and I never knew it. Thanks for this awesome thread.

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:15 pm

You can also check out Pete Namlook and the huge FAX catalogue:
https://www.discogs.com/label/60-Fax-49-69450464

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:33 pm

He’s also played with Schulze.

ModHiisi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ModHiisi » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:24 am

Hyberus wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:53 am
steffengrondahl wrote:
His earlier, cassette only, albums were also quite Schulzian. But his later material went down the heavy, rhythmic route that Tangerine Dream also went down.
Gotta check those out, if only because I haven't heard them.

ModHiisi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ModHiisi » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:30 am

ModHiisi wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:24 am
Hyberus wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:53 am
steffengrondahl wrote:
Gotta check those out, if only because I haven't heard them.

And here's links to,

Mikhail Chekalin:

And Esa Kotilainen:

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hyberus » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:37 am

Hi ModHilsi

Sadly I no longer have my copies, they vanished many years ago (although I do still have my vinyl Thoughts of War). A quick trip to Discogs reminds me that I had 'Firemusic' and 'Embryo', which were his third and fourth releases. It looks as if 'Embryo' and its predecessor 'Ursa Major' have been reissued as CD/CDR; but not 'Firemusic' or his debut 'Phantom'
Random is the new maRnod

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:34 pm

Some great stuff in this thread I hadn't heard, thanks to everybody for posting :tu:

I feel I must mount a brief defence of Adelbert von Deyen because, although he is obviously not an artist of the magnitude of Klaus Schulze, he has done some really good stuff. Albeit I can understand why experienced synthesists might be somewhat scornful of some of his material and I think "flat footed" is a fair summation of his weaknesses. But I do like his stuff, most of his albums are in desperate need of remastering, but I'm not holding my breath for anything like that :lol:

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:13 pm

Fog Door wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:34 pm
Some great stuff in this thread I hadn't heard, thanks to everybody for posting :tu:

I feel I must mount a brief defence of Adelbert von Deyen because, although he is obviously not an artist of the magnitude of Klaus Schulze, he has done some really good stuff. Albeit I can understand why experienced synthesists might be somewhat scornful of some of his material and I think "flat footed" is a fair summation of his weaknesses. But I do like his stuff, most of his albums are in desperate need of remastering, but I'm not holding my breath for anything like that :lol:
I would have thought the Bureau B re-issues of some of his albums were remastered.

Funny anecdote: In the mid-1990s, I was trying desperately to get an ARP 2600. I wrote Adelbert a letter and asked whether he still had his. I received a very kind letter in return (those were the days before the internet), telling me that he had sold his 2600 a long time ago because it was broken.

Many years later, a fellow musician told me that his first synthesiser was an ARP 2600 which he could never quite come to grips with, and that he had purchased it from... Adelbert von Deyen. At that time, Adelbert was more into landscape painting again (mainy aquarelled). R. I. P.

As for Mark Shreeve, I would never have placed him in the Klaus Schulze corner (even though the title track of his Halo album was massively inspired by Schulze's Mirage -- one of those memorable moments, listening to a demo version of this track in Mark's living-room, with Mark's eyes beaming). To me, Mark's work -- solo or with Redshift and ARC -- was always firmly rooted in Tangerine Dream territory (hey, he even released on Chris Franke's Sonic Images label and had Franke as co-musician on Nocturne).

Stephen

ericD13
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ericD13 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:02 pm

nostalghia wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:04 am

I don't find Node's music sound like Berlin School, they are very good musicians but all I hear is musak for movies
"Unfortunately it took me forty years to conclude that nothing is possible outside DoReMi."
P. Schaeffer

Lots of 5U modules to sell in europe :
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=219781

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:04 pm

ericD13 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:02 pm
[...] I don't find Node's music sound like Berlin School, they are very good musicians but all I hear is musak for movies
That was a bit rude but, to some extent, I tend to agree with you.

Their first self-titled 1994 album is excellent, as well as their Terminus EP from 1995 (plus various single tracks on album and magazine samplers). It didn't exactly sound like cliché-ridden Berlin School but there was some darker and more industrial tint to it, which I really like(d).

Their more recent stuff tends to be fairly bland by comparison, lacking teeth -- I'm sorry to say so but, to me, it sounds like some blokes showing off their 500,000 Euros worth of gear at a get-together of synthesiser enthusiasts while having a pint of bitter. Nothing wrong with that but if their more recent work in no way matches their releases from some 25 years ago... that's a bit sad, no?

Stephen

Return to “Artist Discussion”