Coil

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

ectoplasm
Common Wiggler

Post by ectoplasm » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:37 am

Reese P. Dubin wrote:Just finished a first listen to Drew McDowall's new solo LP on Dais.
Outstanding.
Yes. This should be considered a major event.
I didnt know anyone, and there was a funny smell.

Zon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zon » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:29 am

Reissues on boomkat
A wanderer in the desert, a merchant offering his wares.

TifaretMusic
Common Wiggler

Post by TifaretMusic » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:36 pm

Zon wrote:Reissues on boomkat
Excellent, I forgot about these! I only wish they could've made vinyl versions as well :(
http://dka-records.com for all your EBM needs

knows
Common Wiggler

Post by knows » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:16 pm

Does anyone know if more reissues are planned and why these titles were chose.

Happiness Forever
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happiness Forever » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:49 pm

Threshold Archives.

The Angelic Conversation CD
This is music that formed the soundtrack to Derek Jarman's long-form Super 8 film The Angelic Conversation (1985). This version is completely dame-free and features no Shakespearean sonnets. Many of these pieces exist here together and un-indexed as separate tracks. Eight tracks, 74 minutes.

Panic CD
The original tracks from Coil's 1985 Panic single plus compilation tracks from 1985, previously unreleased instrumental remixes, some demos, and Sleazy's vocal performance on the classic cover everybody knows and loves. Thirteen tracks, 56 minutes.

The Wheel CD
Available on CD for the first time, this features restored classics such as "Keelhauler" (straight from DAT, originally released on 7" in 1990 following the 1987 The Wheel 7"); many unnamed, previously unreleased tunes; and another batch of demos. Fifteen tracks, 60 minutes.

The Anal Staircase CD
Available on CD for the first time, this features the remixes of "The Anal Staircase" from the original 1986 Anal Staircase 12" and 1991 Total compilation, along with tracks from the original release, other compilation tracks, and another batch of demos. Seventeen tracks, 66 minutes.

The Consequences of Raising Hell CD
Together again are the music from the 1987 Hellraiser single, additional tracks that first appeared on Unnatural History II (1995), and music for commercials. Demos on this will be recognizable from Gold Is the Metal (1987). Twenty-five tracks, 56 minutes.

Wrong Eye CD
Music from Coil's 1990 Wrong Eye/Scope single, compilation tracks, and more previously unreleased demos from 1989. Nine tracks, 60 minutes.

Windowpane CD
Music from the original 1990 Windowpane single plus more demos, many of which appeared on the 1989 Side Effects of Life cassette (in edited/crossfaded forms). Twelve tracks, 60 minutes.

The Snow CD
Music from the original 1991 The Snow single plus more demos, including the much-sought uncompressed full-fidelity version of "Pre-Original Chaostrophy." Thirteen tracks, 68 minutes.

About the label:
Threshold Archives began as a project by Peter Christopherson in 2006. At the time, Peter was involved in many projects that consumed much of his time including Soisong, a re-launched Throbbing Gristle, and The Threshold HouseBoys Choir, in addition to assembling the final Coil album, The New Backwards, and the massive Colour Sound Oblivion box. With the passage of time, intercontinental moves, and record label bankruptcies, many master recordings and artworks were lost, damaged, or degrading. At the time of his passing in 2010, Peter had only begun to assemble artwork for Threshold Archives releases, but no project was completed. The music was scattered across numerous sources, including DATs, cassettes, Betamax masters, reels, and old computer hard disks with long-outdated and incompatible operating systems. Peter didn't have time to sort through and identify it all, so he sought help. Discussions and agreements were reached and the blueprints of Threshold Archives were made. Through the efforts of former Coil members, friends, and family, these collections are finally materializing. The quality of these recordings varies greatly, as does the artwork that was available. Additionally, many previously unreleased songs have no titles available. Coil was Geff (John Balance) and Peter (Sleazy), who presented Coil as a complete experience; song choices, mix, order, cover artwork, layout, live visuals, costumes, guests, etc. Without Balance and Sleaz, there is no official Coil release nor will there ever be again. Nothing that bears the word "Coil" is authorized, official, or sanctioned by Coil as Coil has ceased to exist.

[From: http://brainwashed.com/bark/projects-coil.html]

Although I was hoping to stay out of the spotlight, circumstances are now forcing me to comment publicly.

As many have speculated, I am the person who has proceeded with Threshold Archives and the Coil releases that were recently announced.

Sleazy sought my help beginning in 2006 arranging archival reissues and we formulated an agreement between Brainwashed Archives/Theshold House. Peter and I spent time together in 2008 when he stayed a week during the Brainwaves festival and deals were signed. Following Peter's death, this project was encouraged, supported, and contributed to by both Drew and Thighpaulsanda, other guests and friends, and has received the full endorsement of Geff's surviving family, who has stated:

"do as you see fit, it makes sense for the quality to be out there"

My intention at this point was remove Brainwashed from the name and launch Threshold Archives by finishing the project Peter and I began, with the hopes of turning over control for beautiful, fully remastered stunning LPs of the "proper" releases at some point in the future.

Operating a record label is not my full-time job and I do not want it to be. I hereby state that profits will be shared with all band members involved, even those who are opposed to these CDs being released, as well as surviving family.

The quick, swift release of these items are an effort to head-off bootleg practices, which continue to run rampant worldwide.

Thighpaulsandra has stated to me in an email from September 2015:
"If your releases are not perceived as ultimately desirable objects they will just be regarded on a par with all the bootlegs. I think the packaging and presentation needs to be of a standard that G&S would have approved of. I tried to ensure the books met their standards. I hope your CDs will do the same."

I hope so too, and I hope you support the practices of the kind stores and distributors who carry these physical items because life obligations do not permit me to operate a mail order business in a full-time capacity.

Sincerely yours,

Jon Whitney

Brainwashed Archives is the only establishment that has been authorized to reissue COIL music from the vaults.

All other materialization of COIL music: physical, digital, ether, or any other form from this point onward should be regarded as unauthorized.

There is a trail of conversations from electronic and snail mail to back this up and much more information will be revealed in due time.

"Backwards was started in London directly after LSO, move to New Orleans, developed a lot, moved back to Weston, and thence to Bangkok. Brainwashed will be releasing one or maybe two cd collections documenting this history later in the year, and these along with all other demos and recordings of any interest..."

- Peter Christopherson, May 2010

!MONDO ANTHEM!
Live Large, Live Often.
www.WillRage.org

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:22 am

A lot of that Brainwashed spiel is contended by many of the people who worked with Coil.

Having said that, I think it's fantastic that these albums will be available again for new fans, and at reasonable prices. I just hope the mastering is up to snuff... :twisted:

secretkillerofnames
Veteran Wiggler

Post by secretkillerofnames » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:03 am

My Backwards CD just arrived from D.H. today (Australia) :sb:

ectoplasm
Common Wiggler

Post by ectoplasm » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:23 am

Happiness Forever wrote:The Angelic Conversation (1985). This version is completely dame-free and features no Shakespearean sonnets.

I always wished they would do that, might finally be able to enjoy it now.
I didnt know anyone, and there was a funny smell.

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:33 am

There are going to be so many fresh LP bootlegs ripped from these discs in the next year.

I think we are at the point where the Coil legacy breaks into 2 paths. The first being what the actual participants created, and the second where voracious "fans" get to say what Coil was.

O well I will just put Absolute Elsewhere on the turntable and crank it up.

knows
Common Wiggler

Post by knows » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:11 pm

It does seem like eBay is full of affordable bootleg coil CDs right now.
MP3 rips or bootleg CDs, or rediculous prices for limited official prices, it would be nice for there to be affordable quality official product.
I though there were plans for some official data stick type thing containing the entire coil catalog to be made available at some point.

myecholalia
Wiggling with Experience

Post by myecholalia » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:06 am

I can't believe I only now stumble upon this thread.
Even more so, I can't believe that I never really heard any Coil before.
So much catching up to do...
Thanks for putting me on it.

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:25 am

Can anyone let me know how the Backwards vinyl is sounding? Still not got a vinyl copy yet.
Last edited by Hermetech Mastering on Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:37 am

Interview with Darkfloor Sound, about mastering Coil's 'Backwards" album last year.

http://darkfloor.co.uk/backwards-with-coil-context/

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:19 am

Got Backwards vinyl, sounding great here.

Interview with Dan on Backwards in Quietus today:

http://thequietus.com/articles/19485-da ... -interview

magneticweb
Common Wiggler

Post by magneticweb » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:56 pm

I tried like hell to bring archive quality official releases to the world, but when you have as many members as these guys did it's very hard. Sad to see bootlegs when high quality editions for posterity are possible.

duluthdack
Veteran Wiggler

My COIL collection

Post by duluthdack » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:47 am

The dual sleeve white album is Musick to play in the Dark vol 2 Test pressing.

duluthdack
Veteran Wiggler

Post by duluthdack » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:49 am

The dually I took during a COIL...(how do I call it..) RE-AWAKENING! It's always ritualistic.

duluthdack
Veteran Wiggler

Post by duluthdack » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:33 am

Just got the LP release of Coil's ...and the ambulance died in his arms

Sounds great. Limited to 93. :cthulhu: :cthulhu: :cthulhu:

D.o.S.
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D.o.S. » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:57 am

Very nice. That performance is a highlight in their discography -- which, considering how many gems there are, is really saying something.

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:47 am

I refuse to buy any of the bootlegs

D.o.S.
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D.o.S. » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:57 pm

The bootleg issue does seem to be kind of concerning, doesn't it? I don't condone bootleggers (or the market that supports them), but wanting to purchase a physical copy of an album without paying an arm and a leg seems like a fairly reasonable request.

Shame there doesn't seem to be an ethically sound way of doing so at present, save the Backwards pressing on Cold Spring(and the Important reissue of Ape of Naples/New Backwards coming soonish?)

Glad to see some Cyclobe love on these last few pages, too. They're probably the closest to my heart of the greater Coil family tree.
good deals with: waveglider, CF3, muncky

dumaisaudio
Common Wiggler

Post by dumaisaudio » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:34 pm

The bootleg issue is tough. I have a few bootlegs of soundtracks that are pretty rare and expensive, like Lost in Translation and Lost Highway. In those cases, I don't feel that bad, because a record company owns it and if they wanted to, they could reissue it officially. With Coil, it's different because it's an independent band with no surviving members, so it really feels like people are exploiting the situation to make money off the band. I was lucky enough to buy CD copies of most all their releases in the early 2000's when they were still around. Most of those releases didn't have vinyl pressings and probably don't need them now. I think in a case like this, just downloading the music by other means seems like the best solution, as at least you're not paying someone who shouldn't be making money off the music in the first place.

duluthdack
Veteran Wiggler

Post by duluthdack » Wed May 04, 2016 9:10 am

Well... I think this release is (unofficial??) BUT! On the back it says ThreshLP1. Limited to 93...

I don't care, I want COIL on vinyl and the prices are so high right now, that you aren't even supporting the artists anymore anyways by buying outrageously priced Vinyl from random people looking to profit.

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Wed May 04, 2016 9:52 am

Yes, but who are you supporting? If you're not supporting the artist, why support the bootleggers? If you are not supporting the artists, then why not just download it all for free in lossless, instead of paying some evil scheming cunt who is profiting off the dead artists you claim to be trying to support, who just rips those free downloads and has them cut to vinyl?

I dunno, I give up really. Up to you what you do, but it's stinks of absolute moral wrongness to me. If you really want Coil on vinyl, then better to find someone who does lathe cuts and send them the lossless files and ask them to cut it onto vinyl for you, then at least you'd have 1 of 1 copies. :) And would even be cheaper than these nasty boots. My friend Michael at Bladud Flies was a friend of John and Sleazy's and would probably be happy to do it for you.

http://bladudflies.com/lathe-cut-vinyl/

And BTW it is absolutely unofficial. That album was never released in any format except for CD.

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Wed May 04, 2016 8:30 pm

The bootlegs are pretty much straight up bullshit.
I never saw the brainwashed reissues but they seemed pretty crappy too. Someday I wlll hopefully be able to DL all the extras tracks even though I dont think they are important, and maybe should not even bear the name as they were not deemed releasable by the only people that made such decisions.

All this is crumbs compared to what will become of Prince's legacy.

Return to “Artist Discussion”