Coil

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Happiness Forever
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happiness Forever » Thu May 05, 2016 7:27 pm

The CDs were packaged fairly boring, just a simple slipcase. With the covers being the cover of the single.
I get the feeling that they're supposed to be in a box of some sort and that there'll be a book of some sort with all the info.... but I dunno?
The music on them is great, not all of it is throwaway, not at all.
Sleazy supposedly set it up with Brainwash dude for their release. The CDs are legit as far as I've understood.

Bootlegs wouldn't exist if these releases were readily available but then that would mean a bunch of people would have to agree on something for the benefit for everyone instead of just what their best interests might be.

!MONDO ANTHEM!
Live Large, Live Often.
www.WillRage.org

D.o.S.
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D.o.S. » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:39 pm

The legit represses of The New Backwards and Ape of Naples went up on the important site earlier this week:
http://importantrecords.com/imprec/imprec438
http://importantrecords.com/imprec/imprec174r
good deals with: waveglider, CF3, muncky

zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:04 am

Yes! A whole big thread on Coil! For meditations I love Time Machines, Queen of the Circulating Library, Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil, and a few others. LSD and Stolen and Contaminated are dear to my youthful heart. Lately I've been enjoying the live releases. Coil are such a wonderful force of nature!

vav
Beer Master

Post by vav » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:05 am

Reese P. Dubin wrote:The bootlegs are pretty much straight up bullshit.
I never saw the brainwashed reissues but they seemed pretty crappy too. Someday I wlll hopefully be able to DL all the extras tracks even though I dont think they are important, and maybe should not even bear the name as they were not deemed releasable by the only people that made such decisions.

All this is crumbs compared to what will become of Prince's legacy.
As a matter of fact, none of the Threshold Archives bear the name Coil for that exact reason.

Anything not sanctioned and released by geff and sleazy shouldn't be considered a true coil release, and I'm including the archives cds and Backwards in that statement for sure.
Vactrols are the electronic equivalent of being drunk. -decaying.sine

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:49 am

Agree with Adam, they can't be considered 'Coil Canon' if they are both dead and didn't sanction the releases. But we can still enjoy the music!

Electric Sewer Age II is about to get a vinyl release with a bonus track not on the CD, that is up there with the rest of it, quality wise, I think. It's by far my fave post-Coil, Coil related release.

http://www.auralrage.com/esa2vinyl.html

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:12 pm

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Electric Sewer Age II is about to get a vinyl release with a bonus track not on the CD, that is up there with the rest of it, quality wise, I think. It's by far my fave post-Coil, Coil related release.

http://www.auralrage.com/esa2vinyl.html
:tu: a fantastic album! vinyl will be great!

isotopeofme
Common Wiggler

Post by isotopeofme » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Anyone here have the Relativity release of the Anal Staircase EP on Vinyl? Mine is a very deep forest green, only seen when held up to the light... or the thinnest black pressing ever. I don't seem to find a colored version on Discogs... anyone care to hold theirs up to the light and confirm whether I'm seeing things?

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:31 am

Is that a boot? My Force & Form one is clear vinyl.

isotopeofme
Common Wiggler

Post by isotopeofme » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:43 pm

Hermetech Mastering wrote:Is that a boot? My Force & Form one is clear vinyl.
No, it's the original as far as I can tell. I've had it since the 90s. Not sure there were a lot of bootlegs of these guys floating around central California record stores at that point!

vav
Beer Master

Post by vav » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:49 pm

isotopeofme wrote:
No, it's the original as far as I can tell. I've had it since the 90s. Not sure there were a lot of bootlegs of these guys floating around central California record stores at that point!
I've seen that happen with larger record pressing runs....to save cost they'll use the overflow vinyl that's cut away after the "pucks" are pressed at the end of a run to squeeze a few more records out of a set number of raw materials. Usually they're pressed thinner and sound a little noisier. Would love to see a pic tho!

isotopeofme
Common Wiggler

Post by isotopeofme » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:33 pm

I've seen that happen with larger record pressing runs....to save cost they'll use the overflow vinyl that's cut away after the "pucks" are pressed at the end of a run to squeeze a few more records out of a set number of raw materials. Usually they're pressed thinner and sound a little noisier. Would love to see a pic tho!
Definitely not a noisy pressing. Sounds pretty pristine actually. For as long as I've had it, it hasn't hit the turntable that many times.

vav
Beer Master

Post by vav » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:26 pm

isotopeofme wrote:
Definitely not a noisy pressing. Sounds pretty pristine actually. For as long as I've had it, it hasn't hit the turntable that many times.

Huh, crazy. Yah probably just an accidental thing, not a variant. Neat tho!

ELpH
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ELpH » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:38 am

Longtime Coil fan here. (Also new to the forum). I plan to spend the next few evenings reading through every post in this thread.

My Coil story:
Around '97 I got into NIN and noticed that a band called "Coil" did several of the interesting sounding remixes on Further Down the Spiral. About a year later my best friend turned up with a copy of "Worship the Glitch" which he got from a friend etc.

I thought it was incredibly interesting and would borrow it from him often, eventually acquiring it from him.

After having listened through all of their albums Worship the Glitch is still probably my favorite, followed closely by the Musick albums.

Cover Project Proposal
If any of you have access to a scanner, could you possibly scan your CD and LP covers?

It is currently incredibly difficult to find high quality Coil covers online.

I can do any photoshop/touch-up work and maybe later we can release them online for all Coil fans to enjoy. (Who doesn't want a High-Res Horse Rotorvator LP cover on their phone/iPod?)

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for anyone who would help with the cover project.

crawling wind
Wiggling with Experience

Post by crawling wind » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:16 am

[video][/video]

Leichenschrei
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Leichenschrei » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:18 pm

I absolutely adore Coil, they are synth gods to me and inspired me to start a eurorack system! I'm deeply fascinated by their granular synthesis style sound in their later years. I love music that makes me wonder "how they hell did they get that sound" which is a constant thought I get when I listen to their music. Really impressive arsenal they had including Syntons, Serge, and EMS. Oh to be a fly on the wall during their recording sessions...

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:37 pm

isotopeofme wrote:
i have Anal Staircase on the original first pressing and it's just black.
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:04 am

Acoording to Discogs the black was normal, the clear was limited:

https://www.discogs.com/Coil-The-Anal-S ... se/1077361

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:36 am

While there is no official announcement just yet, Dais records will be reissuing Time Machines. Drew mentions it in an interview in Surprise! magazine #1.

This, I feel, is as legit it gets. An established label with solid experience in manufacturing and distribution, repressing a title under the supervision of the person who is essentially its sole creator.

I just hope they do some on black vinyl 8-)

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:22 pm

Reese P. Dubin wrote:repressing a title under the supervision of the person who is essentially its sole creator.
Do you have a source for this? Or information about Coil recording sessions generally other than brainwashed?

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:36 pm

i dont think it was ever a secret that TM was Drew's baby. I reckon JB stated in an interview that he and Peter's main role was the presentation and titles.

Over time I have really come to appreciate how distinct and crucial the influence of their collaborators was, Ruin-Thrower-MDMA-Drew-Thighpaulsandra-Ossian-Cliff Stapleton etc.

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:05 pm

just acquired the vinyl edition of this noiz last Thursday...

https://www.discogs.com/Coil-London-Con ... se/9308627
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

eeling
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eeling » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:43 pm

Reese P. Dubin You posted this a while ago but wow ! any updates ?

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:36 am

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks!

paranoidandroid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by paranoidandroid » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:54 pm

COIL is a huge influence

So happy that DAIS are releasing Time Machines, I got the clear edition which was limited to 100 or 200

I was lucky enough to witness Drew Mcdowall perform Time Machines in Los Angeles on Saturday and it blew my mind. I wish I could have seen his setup, all I could see was his Korg Ms 20 (mini?)
Also bought his new solo album, just waiting for the sun to go down to put it on.

Return to “Artist Discussion”