Skinny Puppy WHY?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:40 pm

brianobush wrote:ack! Blocked in my country ... because we have a silly president?
There's another version of the video viewable in the Us:
Intellijel R&D

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:46 am

rico loverde wrote:does anyone know what they used gear wise for Too Dark Park? That album still blows me away and Ive listened to it thousands of times. I still have a hard time figuring out what was done.

6 years later. There's a goofy cartoon drawing of their setup circa Vivisect/TDP.
Ensoniq esq-1 is a huge part of the sound. 12 bit samplers are another huge part, akai s9xx and whatever roland had out at the time. Drum machine was, iir, a 707.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:24 am

I followed NIN from the start, remember reading the first interviews with Trent etc.. Really loved NIN for a few years but eventually i grew extremely tired of his voice / singing style though.

Skinny Puppy was my absolute favorite band as a teenager. My favorite album is still Cleanse, Fold and Manipulate. I really prefer their slower kind of horror-electro-funk songs.

But this music takes time to adapt to, back when this came out you didn't have Spotify and whatnot, you actually had to listen to the same album many times, and that's probably the key here..

digitalohm
Common Wiggler

Post by digitalohm » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:33 pm

I think skinny puppy is just about the only industrial I listen to? They set the bar early on and left it somewhere far, far out of reach for everyone else :D

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:52 pm

truly the mario 64 of dance industrial

CausticeIchor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CausticeIchor » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:06 pm

I was exposed to ohGr before I heard anything by Skinny Puppy proper. I've loved almost everything by ohGr, but aside from Assimilate, I can't really get into SP. Not entirely sure why, might not be melodic enough? :hmm:

Harry Goldfarb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Harry Goldfarb » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:21 am

I remember the first time I heard Smothered Hope about 30 years ago and it floored me. Bites and Remission soon became favorites, and later, Mind TPI and Last Rights. I don't listen to them as much now but if I do, I tend to go to Back and Forth vol 2. I love that early stuff.

I can see how Puppy isn't exactly a band that one thinks is "ok". Either they're annoying as shit or it hits you just so and makes an impact that opens doors to other weirdness.

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 pm

Very into them, and the cEvin projects in the 90s especially the first three Download albums and accompanying EPs. Started with Last Rights, but I think Too Dark Park is the best for me as an album proper. I actually listened to The Process on my commute today. Didn't help my road rage, but I think I like it more now than when it came out.

P.S. The music of "down in it" is such a blatant rip off of "Dig It" that I laughed when I heard them side by side. IMNSHO Trent improved his production after PHM.

Harry Goldfarb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Harry Goldfarb » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:07 am

scuto wrote:I actually listened to The Process on my commute today. Didn't help my road rage, but I think I like it more now than when it came out.
The Process grew on me too. Songs like Blue Serge and a few others kick ass. Was this the last album Dwayne was on before he OD'd?

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:13 pm

Harry Goldfarb wrote:
scuto wrote:I actually listened to The Process on my commute today. Didn't help my road rage, but I think I like it more now than when it came out.
The Process grew on me too. Songs like Blue Serge and a few others kick ass. Was this the last album Dwayne was on before he OD'd?
yes.

the process has grown on me *a lot* over the years. the only song i don't like is "Cult"... everything else is really good, esp. Candle, Hardset Head, The Process, Blue Serge, and Morter. really incredible electro industrial compositions, and with a very strong sound, maybe the best production and mastering quality that SP ever accomplished (possibly the benefits of being on a larger label).
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have made America great again.

ObfuscatedVisuals
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ObfuscatedVisuals » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:11 pm

I was a huge Alien Sex Fiend fan in the 80's and early 90's and didn't care much for Skinny Puppy until the past decade but I mostly only like their early work.

mtts
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mtts » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:12 pm

"Last Rights" was the first electronic album I ever heard - after "Pretty Hate Machine", which I, as an "alternative kid" could still pretty much make sense of.

The more I learned about electronic and industrial music, the more I figured out most of what they were doing wasn't the amazingly forward thinking, avant garde dissonant noise I initially thought it was.

Their subsequent work always seemed to me trivial. Their previous material mostly hasn't aged well.

That said, I still have a soft spot for them. Part of that is no doubt mere nostalgia (an affliction the ancient Greeks considered to be a psychological disease :hihi: ) but part of it, I think, is the clumsiness and the chaos that makes up such a large part of it: Skinny Puppy, to me anyways, always sounds like - admittedly superficial and I-don't-believe-this-is-quite-the-music-to-kill-by-everyone-always-suggests - structures bubbling up from a smear of drugged-up chaos.

Since I am by temperament a very controlled, organized person, people who can make order boil up from chaos always command my respect.

monoscan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by monoscan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:01 am

Puppy rocks. My first show playing with Cyanotic was opening for them in Detroit at St. Andrews Hall. We just recently played with Ohgr / KMFDM at Cold Waves in Chicago, and I was super bummed to see "That's All" scratched out of the setlist :(

Speaking of Skinny Puppy, those Cevin Key Subconscious Communications Eurorack modules rock. I've got the Model 15 VCO [Plan B reissue] and same with the Model 37 LFO, but the real magic is the newer modules like the complex VCO Model 52 Vampire [that thing gets WEIRD] and the Model 53 Voicetail filter. I could happily part with every other filter in Eurorack with that thing. The resonance absolutely screams, there's three different filter inputs that I can run the three Vampire outputs individually to, etc.

I don't know how many times I've commented on Cevin Key's Facebook page or bumped threads here that mention Subcon modules, but I've been holding off forever on another envelope and delay because he had mentioned releasing more modules. I'd buy them immediately without hearing demos.

cokosha
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cokosha » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:22 am

Is that truth that Leeb have expelled from this band?

monoscan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by monoscan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:08 am

cokosha wrote:Is that truth that Leeb have expelled from this band?
I think Wilhelm Schroeder left on his own

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:13 pm

m0rb1d wrote: cevin key is the fucking man, end of story
yeah, as long as it's download and not skinny puppy
:oops:

download III is a masterpiece that can never be outdone
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

vav
Beer Master

Post by vav » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:46 am

mome rath wrote:

And that record was mostly phil.
Vactrols are the electronic equivalent of being drunk. -decaying.sine

nuketifromorbit
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:25 am

For what its worth this thread has caused me to seriously listen to Alien Sex Fiend for the first time despite having been vaguely aware of them for over a decade. Theres nothing wrong with waiting until your balding and in your 30s to get into death rock right? Also how the hell did I over look them and Rozz William era Christian Death until now ? :hmm:
Last edited by nuketifromorbit on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

nuketifromorbit
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:28 am

monoscan wrote:
cokosha wrote:Is that truth that Leeb have expelled from this band?
I think Wilhelm Schroeder left on his own
P sure he ducked out of a major tour due to a girl friend? Of course I'm relatively young by rivet head standards, and all this BS most likely happened when I was a toddler.

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:03 am

vav wrote:
mome rath wrote:

Interesting. Didn't know that, but it makes sense given how different in sound III was from Stanley.

mome rath

Post by mome rath » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:13 am

vav wrote:
mome rath wrote:

then cEvin key's the man as he long as he's phil western
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:03 am

mome rath wrote:
vav wrote:
mome rath wrote:

you would prolly dig Phil's solo albums, 4 AM is a pretty good one, and also his side project Kone.

mome rath

Post by mome rath » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:02 pm

dogoftears wrote:
mome rath wrote:
vav wrote:
mome rath wrote:

you would prolly dig Phil's solo albums, 4 AM is a pretty good one, and also his side project Kone.
thx

will investigate

i have loved III since the day I bought it in ... 1998? I've only come to appreciate it more and more. brilliant music

didn't get along as well with effector
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:

filtermod
Wiggling with Experience

Post by filtermod » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:28 am

mome rath wrote:i have loved III since the day I bought it in ... 1998? I've only come to appreciate it more and more. brilliant music

didn't get along as well with effector
Same here. There are maybe 2 tracks off of effector that I dig, but III is excellent from start to finish. There's really no other album quite like it.

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:48 pm

there are post Effector Download albums that are really incredible. III Steps Forward, Fixer, Helicopter, and Lingam, all excellent! somehow III Steps Forward has always really stood out to me, some incredibly innovative dance music on there, fresh even til this day.

and don't forget PLATEAU which is maybe my preferred project these days... it's basically the same as Download but with a more stoned out, techno vibe. Iceolator, Kushbush, and Gort Spacebar are all fantastic.

Return to “Artist Discussion”