Skinny Puppy WHY?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

baronofedge69
Learning to Wiggle

Post by baronofedge69 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:50 pm

I feel like everything that could be said has been said, so I'll just say; if you like more synth pop sounds, less grungy synths, listen to Bites or Remission. I'm not a fan of the era, but you may like it and hate everything else, ya never know. If you want dancy beats and icky synths, Mind The Perpetual Intercourse, Rabies, and Cleanse Fold Manipulate are the way to go. Dark, gross, aggro, experimental industrial, Vivisect VI, Last Rights and Too Dark Park. Don't waste your time on The Process. Greater Wrong Of The Right is the only album I'd listen to after that, it has more obvious guitar sections, it's a lot less dirty, it's catchier, but it's not bad, just different.

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:48 pm

handover is the only mark walk era album I like

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:44 pm

I had to pick a Skinny Puppy thread to necro-bump so that I could post this ticket stub that I found amongst my old stuff after a recent cross country move:

Strangely enough, Oklahoma back in the 80s had a strangely active underground music scene. I remember pogo-ing in the middle of a massive throng of hundreds of goth punks. I also remember that the kick drum was so loud that I had to breathe in time with the beat in order to get a full gulp of air.

It was the loudest show I've ever experienced. Ever.

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:14 pm

dude, bump all the puppy threads. then bump some puppy

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:22 pm

sizone wrote:dude, bump all the puppy threads. then bump some puppy
This.

Been a puppy fan since the mid 80s when a friends older brother blasted Chainsaw out his room. It was terrifying sounding music, but also unbelievable. I was hooked.

I’m off to play Last Rights...

Ps autocorrect in my phone tried to give me “Last Tights”, which I found hilarious. Sorry.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:32 pm

parasitk wrote:Let's just keep starting threads about shit we don't like, so this place can be filled with as much negativity as possible!

Keep up the good work!

:fu:

//Chris
Critical opinion is what’s sorely missing these days.

solitaryzen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solitaryzen » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:29 am

cyclopeatron wrote:
I've actually been surprised SP doesn't get more love in discussions of important electronic music. Although I don't necessarily like all of their stuff, they've always struck me as clear trailblazers.

Think about it... Remission came out in 1984. That's really early for this kind of music. I can't think of anything similar from that time. That's a pretty novel combo of reverb and delay drench Roland drum machine sound, growling effected vocals, samples, dark bass sequences covered by ethereal synth lines. Even some FM sounds. Very cool, new stuff. Remission is still one of my favorite records.

Other bands people are comparing SP to, like NIN and Ministry, were more like late 80s and 90s. And IMO didn't show the same degree of innovation. Front 242 was around in the early 80s, but were more like dance music at that point.
Have a listen to some Portion Control.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:46 am

cyclopeatron wrote:
Other bands people are comparing SP to, like NIN and Ministry, were more like late 80s and 90s. And IMO didn't show the same degree of innovation. Front 242 was around in the early 80s, but were more like dance music at that point.
Front 242's Geography was "dance" ? Ministry's 1982 "Cold Life" EP?
The Blackouts?

wackelpeter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wackelpeter » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:09 pm

Still have a soft spot for some of the Songs/records of Skinny Puppy, as they were one of the way marks that led me to the Music listener/consumer that i am today…

Born in the early 70's, in the mid 80's as a Teenager i became a Depeche Mode fan, then switched of Front 242 to more "extreme" bands like Skinny Puppy into path's that led me to the Industrial genre Throbbing Gristle, SPK, Nocturnal Emissions, etc.

This was some Kind of pushing the borders of what's listenable a bit further, maybe something to do with a Kind of Rebellion as a youth, but well, now a bit aged i think that a lot of this what i once thought was excellent extreme and Breaking boundaries i find now a bit lame, silly and kinky…
To some extent you can also add some Skinny Puppy stuff to that, but i also still like their very early works as Remission and the first Back and Forth...

I don't know what wnt wrong with my Musical taste but as of today i can listen to most of the bands mentioned here… Big Black, Head of David, ASF, Portion Control (early period), Front 242 (early period and to my surprise i actually liked the still & raw CD), also early Swans or other stuff like Sonic Youth, some Wave, Musique concrete, ambient, drone, experimental, jazz, No Wave, Sonic Youth and related material or even some great synth pop...
Right now i can listen and enjoy so many different bands and Music, maybe just selected tracks or single works, but i would say i became more forgiving, less narrowed in my taste, more curious and open and thus more willing and able to enjoy very different Kinds of Music as long as they have something special, weird, outstanding, emotional or otherwise less ordinary appearance to them…

To close and end my babbling About my Musical preferences, i think i aquired some good and nice taste over the years which of Course doesn't manifest in my own noodlings, that would be perfect but i assume you can't have it all (unless you sign a deal with the devil) :)

jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:21 am

solitaryzen wrote:Have a listen to some Portion Control.
early Cabaret Voltaire must have been an influence as well, parts of their album 'Red Mecca' almost sounds like a blueprint for early SP.

[video][/video]

sounds like they had Ogre doing vocals, two years before Skinny Puppy existed:

[video][/video]

the band Chrome as well, some similarities there on some tunes.

solitaryzen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solitaryzen » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:20 am

jbuonacc wrote:
solitaryzen wrote:Have a listen to some Portion Control.
early Cabaret Voltaire must have been an influence as well, parts of their album 'Red Mecca' almost sounds like a blueprint for early SP.

the band Chrome as well, some similarities there on some tunes.
No doubt Chrome had a big influence on a lot of the second wave of "industrial" artists. They don't get nearly enough recognition if you ask me.

n3wt15
Wiggling with Experience

Post by n3wt15 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:29 am

when i was getting into "industrial" music, friends of mine were suggesting I listen to skinny puppy, I was a broke lad so only picked up used cds from the record shop when I could. I came across skinny puppys BRAP 3+4 disc, wasnt exactly the best first impression, but some tracks I really fell in love with, and now could say they are of my top 10 fav acts. I do quite like alot of the side projects as well, Download probably my favorite.

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:56 am

Just listen to Legendary Pink Dots, they're the adult version of Skinny Puppy (they share a member I think, and a bit of the sound).

JimY
Common Wiggler

Post by JimY » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:27 am

I got into them belatedly from listening to a BRAP back & forth double I bought out of curiosity. Now have most of their stuff I think.

One odd thing I notice about their sound, and it isn't Ohgr's voice, is a distinct lack of bass apart from a few tracks with an obvious signature bass line. The drum tracks are so busy, I don't suppose there's much room for a bass line.

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:01 pm

naos wrote:Just listen to Legendary Pink Dots, they're the adult version of Skinny Puppy (they share a member I think, and a bit of the sound).
LPD doesn't, but Tear Garden is most of LPD plus cEvin Key from SP. Some gems in that body of work as well.

I'd say LPD are more "psychedelic" for lack of a better word, but all the above share a penchant for musical exploration that I think would appeal to SP fans. However, from what I've heard LPD never get nearly as musically brutal as SP.

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:13 am

scuto wrote:LPD doesn't, but Tear Garden is most of LPD plus cEvin Key from SP
ah yes, thanks, that's it.
I must say this type of music (obnoxious EBM beats, synths/samples and thrash/grunge guitars with pitch shifted/chorused vocals) is still the most cringy genre I can think of. SP were not the worst of all though, FLA was...

rob graves
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rob graves » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:17 pm

The first time I heard Smothered Hope back in my 20s, it hit me like a hammer. And Last Rights was my soundtrack for some dark days ten years later.
As much as SP was an important band to me back in the day, along with Ministry, Revolting Cocks, etc..., the only album I go back to now and then is Back and Forth Vol 2.
Times change, people change, what can you do? (Ministry is tougher still. Tried last week, it didn't take...)
Throbbing Gristle still works as well as ever but SP will always be great in my book but will always be hamstrung to a place and time.

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:29 am

naos wrote: I must say this type of music (obnoxious EBM beats, synths/samples and thrash/grunge guitars with pitch shifted/chorused vocals) is still the most cringy genre I can think of. SP were not the worst of all though, FLA was...
Blasphemy!

jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:14 am

naos wrote:Just listen to Legendary Pink Dots, they're the adult version of Skinny Puppy (they share a member I think, and a bit of the sound).
naos wrote:I must say this type of music (obnoxious EBM beats, synths/samples and thrash/grunge guitars with pitch shifted/chorused vocals) is still the most cringy genre I can think of. SP were not the worst of all though, FLA was...
this guy has obviously never "heard" Skinny Puppy.

JimY wrote:... One odd thing I notice about their sound, and it isn't Ohgr's voice, is a distinct lack of bass apart from a few tracks with an obvious signature bass line. The drum tracks are so busy, I don't suppose there's much room for a bass line.
nah, just keep listening... one of these days it should just "click" and everything will sound nicely separated. i remember feeling the same when i first heard 'VIVISECTVI' and 'Last Rights', it was all so "busy" and overwhelming. now it all sounds completely "normal", bass lines and all. ...but yeah, i guess a lot of songs don't have "typical" bass parts. not sure exactly which you're referring to though.

JimY
Common Wiggler

Post by JimY » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:09 pm

I just mean lack of bottom boom in general. It can make everything seem harsh.

If you look at the recent live line-up, the addition of drummer, guitarist and bassist would give the impression of a stereotypical industrial metal outfit, but they definitely are not except on very few occasions.

I don't think they could be pinned down easily either. Fans don't seem to able to agree on what is their best work. I happen to really like Rabies, but some hate it for reasons I don't understand.
Here is Worlock. No metal guitar and a really nice melodic chorus...

[video][/video]

wackelpeter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wackelpeter » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:41 pm

Nahh...Rabies was one of their worst… :hihi:
At least of those that were released when i was still into their Music, which was until Last Rights i think to remember..

For me Remission will remain their best release, followed by the first Brap-Back and Forth...

jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:08 pm

wackelpeter wrote:For me Remission will remain their best release, followed by the first Brap-Back and Forth...
B&F Vol. 2, or the first disc of the Brap 3&4 set?

either way, have you heard cEvin Key/Ken Marshall 'The Dragon Experience'? really cool, compiled from early SP outtakes:

[video][/video]

Miguel606
Common Wiggler

Post by Miguel606 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:31 pm

I can understand why some people don't like skinny puppy or even hate them but they definitely have done a lot for the progression of electronic and underground music , especially and North America and the world is a lot better for all that they existed!

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:36 pm

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

These are evidence there is no such thing as subjectivity, only degrees of an inability to comprehend.

wackelpeter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wackelpeter » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:10 am

jbuonacc wrote: B&F Vol. 2, or the first disc of the Brap 3&4 set?
Back and forth vol.2 was the one i meant.

hmm… that Video isn't very convincing too me as are the 2 vids posted below your Reply... just isn't the Kind of Music i prefer or that catches me somewhat...

Return to “Artist Discussion”